Question about adding nicotine to pre made juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxdenVixen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2014
Parker, CO USA
Since I do all my vaping shopping online and will soon not be able to get eliquid containing nicotine by mail in the US, can one buy liquid nicotine now, store it and add it to pre made liquid? I know that I would have to probably use one of the apps out there to figure out how much to add to 30 or 60 mg of liquid to obtain a 3 mg amount. I don't even know if this is possible. I don't want to go the route of making my own since I have certain flavors I like from a couple of vendors and can probably not match these flavors doing it myself.
I have been vaping for 6 years now and am afraid that I will be forced back to smoking cigarettes when I run out of my current supply.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Since I do all my vaping shopping online and will soon not be able to get eliquid containing nicotine by mail in the US, can one buy liquid nicotine now, store it and add it to pre made liquid? I know that I would have to probably use one of the apps out there to figure out how much to add to 30 or 60 mg of liquid to obtain a 3 mg amount. I don't even know if this is possible. I don't want to go the route of making my own since I have certain flavors I like from a couple of vendors and can probably not match these flavors doing it myself.
I have been vaping for 6 years now and am afraid that I will be forced back to smoking cigarettes when I run out of my current supply.

Sure... You can buy say 100mg/ml Nicotine Base and then add it to 0mg Flavored e-Liquid to make a 3mg/ml Flavored e-Liquid. It's about the Same as buying Rum and the later adding it to Coke to make a Run n' Coke.

But Don't be to sure that you Can't Make a Very Enjoyable Flavored e-Liquid from Scratch. Doing DIY Isn't all that hard. It just takes a little Practice.

You might not be able to make an Exact Clone of what you are currently using. But I'm sure you can Make something Close. Maybe even Better.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
You know don't you, and I'm not being in any way sarcastic, you are going into the field of mixing your own juice the moment you start doing this?

What you want to do is both doable and simple if you get your calculations right.

You may actiually be surprised if you try an unflavoured mix to find you like it!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

You may actiually be surprised if you try an unflavoured mix to find you like it!

Way, way (way) Back in the Day, I always thought people were Funny when they said this. That is, Until I tried it.

And then I realized that Unflavored is actually Very Refreshing. And really a Flavor unto itself.

Not to Mention that my Coils Last a whole Hell of a Lot Longer than with Highly Flavored/Sweetened e-Liquid.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Another vote for easily doable. You will need:
  • A way to measure the nicotine base you're adding:
    • A scale accurate to at least two decimal points of a gram, or
    • An oral syringe, available at pharmacies (easy way to measure liquid meds for kids), veterinary supply stores (and animals), and vaping DIY places, or
    • A very small graduated cylinder.
  • Nicotine base - as @smacuser said, 100 mg/ml is a good concentration to use. If it's much weaker than that it'll dilute the flavour too much, while if it's much stronger it becomes too dangerous to work with without a fume hood, PPE and safety training. Note that 100 mg/ml does require caution (and an absence of pets and small children).
  • A way to calculate how much to add. Some people prefer apps because they don't trust their math skills, while others prefer math because they don't trust calculations they can't see. I recommend whatever feels more reliable to you.

If you want to use math, here's the formula:

Amount to add = (Volume of flavoured ejuice * Concentration you're aiming for) ÷ (Nicotine base concentration - concentration you're aiming for)

That means that if you have 30 ml of juice and your nicotine base is 100 mg/ml, to get 3 mg/ml you would have to add:

30 ml * 3 mg/ml ÷ (100 mg/ml - 3 mg/ml) = 0.93 ml

Good luck!

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Keep in mind too that 0mg juice falls under the same regs as juice with nicotine. You might not be able to get that juice in 0mg any more than you can not get it in 3mg.

I was going to ask this very question because I had the same understanding... my bet is your favorite eliquid won't be available for shipping even at 0mg. Plus I seriously wonder how many eliquid manufacturers and vape shops will be left standing months down the road once this vape mail ban is set, so many have already gone out of business or are teetering on the edge. Maybe this will give brick and mortar shops the boost they need to keep going until deeming smacks them. You could buy a stock up amount of your favorite now (I did) and deep freeze it.

• Agree
Reactions: Diver9543

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Way, way (way) Back in the Day, I always thought people were Funny when they said this. That is, Until I tried it.

And then I realized that Unflavored is actually Very Refreshing. And really a Flavor unto itself.

Not to Mention that my Coils Last a whole Hell of a Lot Longer than with Highly Flavored/Sweetened e-Liquid.

Well you see, a lot of you guys are from the USA where both pipe tobacco and cigarettes are very different from in the UK. "British Virginia" tobacco, fine shag cut, as used in cigarettes actually comes from Malawi in Africa ( before Rhodesia declared UDI it came from there and was a superior quality ) - is milder, untoasted, grassy and with a slight hint of sharpness - kinda like burley.

Unflavoured vaped in a Nauti Mini to me, has shades of smoking a Senior Service unfiltered, whereas when used in a GS Air is akin to either the sharper taste of either a Player's Plain or a Capstan Medium - the big three cigarettes in my youth.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Unflavored is ok but I much prefer HOF- hint of flavor. Way, way (way) Back in the Day (;) zioDman!) when vapers started questioning flavorings the general thought was to at least decrease the amount of flavoring used in eliquids. Honestly your tastebuds eventually recover your sense of taste when you quit smoking and you will find you don't need a lot of flavoring for it to be very tasty and satisfying.

• Winner
Reactions: zoiDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread