Question about gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edstasic

Jun 16, 2010
Mexico
So far ive been able to locate 1 shop in my city selling nicrom wire, problem: they only sell 20 gauge. Ive read around here and i know it should be around 34/36 gauge, what would happen should i use gauge 20? i have a 3.7 18650 3000mah Trustfire in a big Chuck and im looking to making my own RCT from scratch (since importing from the USA is hard), i would be looking to get at around 2.4 ohms but i dont know if thats even possible with a gauge 20 wire :S.

Help please?

EDIT: I might also make a passthrough with VV so if voltage is the issue please take that into account, thanks.

18SixFifty

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Michigan
Nichrome Wire

I know you said importing is hard. But I wouldn't try 20 gauge. You might want to see if this place will ship to you.

Also 32 gauge, is very nice. But at these prices you can try all kinds of stuff.

20 gauge is four times as think as 32 gauge so it has 4 times less resistance. So it's four times as thick and you would have to wrap it four times as many times.

Last edited:

Edstasic

Jun 16, 2010
Mexico
Sigh they ship but Priority Mail Flat Rate Small Box shipment usually takes "much longer than 6 days" im guessing its in the "weeks" department since they say later in their shipping FAQ, also the 20 gauge wire in my city sells for 20 mex pesos (that is 1.5 usd!) haha... what would happen theoretically if i were to use that 20 gauge wire? just for the sake of knowing i mean.

Also thanks a lot for replying :).

18SixFifty

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Michigan
Dear, Edstasic. You can always try, I don't see anything really bad happening. It's just that the larger the wire the less resistance. So it gets much hotter and faster. It would be so easy to burn anything that way. I guess you could wrap it close together and very tight. But I don't know I have never tried that. Most people would think that electricity would go down a thinner wire faster but it's not how it works the thicker gauge the less "path of resistance". Think of it like fifty people trying to get through one door. The bigger the door the faster they can make it through. The larger the gauge the faster the electricity can pass through.

If you click back on the link, take a look at the OHMS per feet it's on the far left side. The lower the OHMS per feet the less resistance and the hotter it gets. 20 gauge is .659 vs 10.6 for 32 gauge. So 20 gauge is going to get hot very fast and take tons of power at the same time. Battery life would be terrible.

Edstasic

Jun 16, 2010
Mexico
Nurzrachit: Yeah im pretty much worried about the battery, thats why i mentioned a passthrough, im thinking, just for the sake of experimentation on building a PT with protection connected to the wall socket (not a usb), maybe that will sort out the issue with electric discharge but since im no electric engie i need to know if im missing something hehe, hopefully i wont blow up my face in the next weeks xD.

Thanks for replying Nurzrachit :).

Nurzrachit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2011
Gray,GA.
You will accutually need less voltage for the lowered resisitance. If you put more voltage through, your amperage goes up. I'm all about crazy modding, just don,t put it to your face before several testfires! Good luck man, have fun, but try to be safe.. Check out this 13 coil 30 guage smog monger. Fills the room, and stops everyone in their tracks.

260.jpg

Edstasic

Jun 16, 2010
Mexico
You will accutually need less voltage for the lowered resisitance. If you put more voltage through, your amperage goes up. I'm all about crazy modding, just don,t put it to your face before several testfires! Good luck man, have fun, but try to be safe.. Check out this 13 coil 30 guage smog monger. Fills the room, and stops everyone in their tracks.

View attachment 131361

OH WOW! thats the biggest coil ive seen! (thats what she said haha)
so thats a 30 gauge with 13 coils around a U bend SS wick? what are you using for power and at what voltage? also ohms? how is the vapor, too hot? hope you dont mind my asking, that looks impressive, thanks for replying :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread