The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Question about knock off coils.

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by H4X0R, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. H4X0R

H4X0R Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    Hey guys! So I have a clone Uwell Crown that never worked for me, and I went ahead and got an authentic Uwell Crown from Uwell themselves! So on the clone tank, I noticed the coils it came with all have a sharp piece of wire jutting out the side of the head. The authentic coils that came with my authentic crown does not have these sharp wires on the sides. My question here is is it safe to use these knock off coils? Is there any chance of a short or something happening here or am I being too paranoid? Thanks guys!

2. Scy123

Scy123 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    What mod are you using it with? I ask cause most mods will warn you of a short. A pic would also help if you can get one.

3. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    I'm using a Tesla Two unregulated box mod. It has some kind of short circuit protection but not sure how it works for this device.

EDIT: I couldn't get a focused pic but I'll keep trying!

4. Scy123

Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    It does not seem to have short protection. The situation sounds iffy to me. I would recommend to at least get an ohm meter to test out these coils. Best bet would be a regulated mod.

5. Scy123

Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    Oh wait it does have short circuit protection. You might be fine.

6. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    best pics I could get, couldn't get a perfectly focused shot. They're small sharp pieces of wire.

7. wheelie

wheelie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Use a pair of fingernail clippers and see if you can cut the wires shorter. I buy a lot of after market coils but I just tear them apart and build them myself. Even authentic company coils are not always built with care. CHEERS!

8. Scy123

Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    Yea clip them as close as you can. If the short circuit protection is working on your mod you should be fine.

9. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    So it should be safe to use if I clip them shorter? This mod says it has short circuit protection, but I'm unsure of how it works for this mod. I think I read it was just a fuse that blows and then shuts off the battery, but not sure if that's the case.

10. wheelie

Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Yes very safe. that's where those wires go. They just did not clip them short enough. Their will be a wire on both sides of the rubber grommet. You are being over paranoid. Screw it in and if you don't feel the wire grinding on the side when you screw it in vape away. CHEERS!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scy123

Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    As long as the end of the wire does not come in contact with the bottom part of the atomizer it should not short.

(A) should not come in contact with (B) the other side should have a wire coming down to the bottom part (B) though.
    [​IMG]

12. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    Thanks! You guys are awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  13. wheelie

Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Nice drawing. :) Where you buy the coil condom? LOL J/K

14. Scy123

Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    It came with the coil in the original Uwell Crown box.

• Like Like x 1
  15. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    Are you saying it shouldn't touch the very bottom of the atomizer or it shouldn't touch the whole bottom pin?

16. Scy123

Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    The whole metal bottom. Only one side should have the wire coming down to the bottom part. The other side should not be touching it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. wheelie

Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    As long as it is not long enough to make it past the rubber to the other side and make contact with metal to metal.

18. Nuchuga

Nuchuga Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 30, 2013
    Orange County, CA
    Hands down my favorite signature to date...

19. H4X0R

Jul 4, 2014
    NM
    One side has the wire sticking out a bit but ABOVE the grommet, and the other side is sticking out a little bit BELOW the grommet. So this is the way coils should be? Sorry to ask the same question again lol just wanna be sure. Thanks!

20. Scy123

Aug 10, 2014
    Canada
    That is exactly how it should be. Just make sure the wire above the garment does not make contact with the metal bottom piece. The garment should be thick enough to stop this, but with a clone who knows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.