Question about making e-juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twiggy1995

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2020
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
I see that there are special e-juice flavorings that people can buy from companies such as Capella to use when making e-juice.

However, say that here in Ontario flavored juice, and even just flavoring itself is banned for sale, would I be able to use other types of food safe flavorings to make flavored e-juice? Would Vanilla extract work for a vanilla flavor for example?

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Flavorings we use to make vape juice are food safe and therefore shouldn't be a problem getting. Vanilla extract contains a decent amount of alcohol and even with proper evaporation, I found it not to my taste but I'm not crazy about vanilla flavor juice. Some food flavoring at the grocery stores also contain oils which are a definite no for vaping. If you have plans to make your own vape juice, stick to the supplies that are readily available and suited for the purpose. Capella, Flavor Art, TFA, etc. are food safe and commonly used as such, but we use them for vape flavors as well. And to be honest, nobody knows that they are 100% safe to inhale yet. Probably relatively harmless, but there is always a risk. Me, personally, I'm one of those who think that if you're not a long time hardcore nicotine addict, there really is no good reason to start vaping. That's just my opinion. You're old enough to decide for yourself. But do not use any flavors that contain any kind of oil.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Ah ok.

So those special flavors are not really special, and are used for many different things, we just happen to use them for juices. I see.

I don't bake or anything like that, so I wouldn't know.

All is good then.
Now you should go look through the DIY forum. Tips, tricks and advice will be found there.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Ah ok.

So those special flavors are not really special, and are used for many different things, we just happen to use them for juices. I see.

I don't bake or anything like that, so I wouldn't know.

All is good then.

Not quite. We use flavorings that were originally meant to be used for food, but as vaping evolved, we learned that some food flavorings are best to be avoided as they are not safe for inhalation. Many contain high amounts of diketones, undesirable coloring, or are oil soluble. If you want to get e-liquid flavorings, check the products especially created for vaping. For instance, FlavourArt (my favorite brand) offers two separate lines of products--one for the kitchen, one for e-cigs.

And don't buy flavorings that you find on grocery shelves--nobody knows what's in them.

Visit out DIY forum for more information. DIY E-Liquid

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
special e-juice flavorings that people can buy f
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might wish to fill in your avatar location(city-state & country), it may help you in obtaining location specific information to your future question(s).
On the top right hand corner of this post you will find --"your name" next to "Inbox and Alerts"
Place the mouse pointer on your name,click. You will get a drop down and on the left hand side of this drop down you will find "Personal Details". Click Personal Details.
In Personal Details, in middle of screen in gray, you will find "Location" Could fill that box line in.
re: New users - Put your location in your Profile...

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
@Katya's description sums it up well, but I like to hear myself talk (er, type?) so here's another way to put it:

All vape flavourings are suitable for use in food, which should protect them from a ban - they can be sold as food products, if necessary.

Not all food flavourings are suitable for inhalation, so at the moment it's best to buy flavourings intended for vaping. If the situation changes and flavours marketed for vaping are banned, you should still be able to buy them as food flavourings but it will take some knowledge to sort out which ones are safe to use for vaping.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
@Katya's description sums it up well, but I like to hear myself talk (er, type?) so here's another way to put it:

All vape flavourings are suitable for use in food, which should protect them from a ban - they can be sold as food products, if necessary.

Not all food flavourings are suitable for inhalation, so at the moment it's best to buy flavourings intended for vaping. If the situation changes and flavours marketed for vaping are banned, you should still be able to buy them as food flavourings but it will take some knowledge to sort out which ones are safe to use for vaping.

Without objection. :D

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread