Question about mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorknob

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2011
41.2411° N, 77.0014° W
I was wondering what the benefit of a mod would be. Meaning if I currently use a Riva 510 battery and carto, what would be the difference I could expect using say a Reo Mini (besides the bottom feeding) and carto?

Reason I ask is I am thinking of a mod, Reo Mini maybe, but seeing that both what I use now and the Reo are 3.7v I can't see what the point would be, besides the juice bottle which is a major plus. I have also been considering the Reo Grande for the possibility of 6v vaping, or a variable voltage mod. I think the main selling point is going to be the bottle feeding.

Any help, recommendations, or suggestions are appreciated.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
Just a friendly warning. Once you go 6V it's unlikely 3.7 will satisfy.

I wish all the time I could use a pretty little (cig shaped) pink or purple battery with a lovely crystal on the end.
No weird looks from people. No one thinking I'm doing something "not legal" when they just glance.
One of the ladies at the barn yesterday asked me "WTH are you sucking in?" (Turns out she knew what an e-cig is just had no clue about my box mod) We had a nice talk about it.

I want to not be afraid of being handcuffed for driving while vaping on my box mod.

I want to be happy with a Volt or Riva battery. I can't.

If you're happy with the Riva, keep it; or go for the Reo Mini for those times you want a bottom feeder or longer life battery. Take the Riva when you go out of the house.

As for your question, both being 3.7, the Reo Mini will last longer (the battery) probably all day.

wrigleyvillain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Chicago
First of all the eGos (Riva, Titan Tornado etc) are 3.2-3.4 max when fully charged and continue to drop off throughout use. Also these 3.7v mod batts come off the charger at 4.2v. So they are not exactly the same in terms of performance. With the same atty the true 3.7v mod will produce more vapor. Not significant amount like 5-6v will but still more.

Therefore if you want a major diff HV is the way to go. And something like the $35 Variable Voltage box mod at Madvapes is a great start (and perhaps finish). It uses two of the AA-sized 14500 batteries in conjunction to go all the way up to 7v (whereas their regular 3.7v boxmod uses just one of these batteries).

Yes, the other major advantage of something like a Reo is the feeding system. Other than that it's all physical and aesthetic preference.

10mmshooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2011
WA
I agree, warm(sometimes hot) vapor is very nice. I will say I have gone back to 3.7 and LR cartos on a mod with a big battery. A mod with a 18650 is not the same as 3.7 on an eGo/Riva. As far as bottomfeeders go, they are fun. I have an Old Goats Mod and love it. A Reo is never a bad investment, some people sell them used for more than new LOL.
Want warm vapor, try a dual coil carto at 6v! Very warm, just keep it wet.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Everyone has their own sweet spot, and it's easy to find that spot once you start thinking in terms of watts instead of voltage.

Here is how it works:
    4 ohms @ 6v = 9 watts (HR atty)
    2.8 ohms @ 5v = 9 watts (SR atty)
    1.5 ohms @ 3.7v = 9 watts (LR atty)

My personal sweet spot is 7.7 watts, so that 1.5 ohm atty works best for me at 3.4v instead of 3.7v, and I would find a 4.5 ohm atty nice @ 6v.
    Get the picture?

BTW, an eGo bat is not 3.7v, they are regulated voltage @ 3.3v regardless of load.

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 5, 2009
    South Florida
    www.VapingGuides.com
    The primary advantage of the Reo over the Riva (or any fat batt) is the juice feeding. [If that feature is attractive to you, you like the very different size and shape, and you can afford the price, go for it.] Yes, it is sturdy as a rock, but you could buy a heck of a lot of Riva batts for the price of a Reo. The Reo Mini's mAh is only slightly more than the Riva's. [The Reo Grand is another story entirely.]

First of all the eGos (Riva, Titan Tornado etc) are 3.2-3.4 max when fully charged and continue to drop off throughout use...
    Actually, the Riva is 3.7V ... and, I believe, the Riva SE is true 3.7V (i.e., starting at 4.2V fully charged, not under load) just like a mod using 3.7V batteries.

Doorknob

ECF Veteran
    Jun 13, 2011
    41.2411° N, 77.0014° W
    Thanks again for the info. I ended up ordering a Sgt VV (Army Tank). After looking around and reading this mod had everything I was looking for, VV, bottom feed, small, and Jmarkus is polite as can be, really seems like he loves what he does. I pm'ed him about ordering one last Thursday and it has been built and in the mail on the way to me today. Can't beat that. So I am looking forward to my first mod. Now I wait to see if the batteries get here before the mod does. lol

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 5, 2009
    South Florida
    www.VapingGuides.com
    Thanks again for the info. I ended up ordering a Sgt VV (Army Tank). After looking around and reading this mod had everything I was looking for, VV, bottom feed, small, and Jmarkus is polite as can be, really seems like he loves what he does. I pm'ed him about ordering one last Thursday and it has been built and in the mail on the way to me today. Can't beat that. So I am looking forward to my first mod. Now I wait to see if the batteries get here before the mod does. lol
    Small? Are you aware how fat that is?

2-1.jpg

It took me awhile to realize that that is not a tiny slender PV standing next to a box for comparison. The PV is that glued-together two-box contraption.

If you are aware and like it, then indeed go for it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread