question about ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

PartyMan1

Dec 28, 2018
Hey I just got a kylin mini rebuildable. I order some 1 ohm coils too and they are tiny compared to the one it came with. not sure what ohms that one is but im confused.. Are sub ohm coils thicker gauge? I thought it was the other way around. Lower ohms = less resistence? wouldnt the smaller gauge coils be lower resistence since they heat up faster/require less watts?

i tried reading up on ohms on google but I got a headache tryin to understand lol.

Reactions: stols001

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Surely you're not using a rebuildable without a method of reading ohms? If you are, stop. If you aren't, then just test the ohms of the coil it came with.

As to your question, thicker wire does mean less resistance -- think of it as a bigger pipe that the electrons flow through ... smaller pipe (thinner wire) means higher resistance).

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Electricity and Electrical terms aren’t always particularly intuitive. You got it backwards I’m afraid.
Low ohm means low resistance. There’s less electrical resistance in thicker metal. Think of the metal as an electricity pipe and ohms as water flow. Low resistance coils need comensurately more electricity to heat them up, hence higher wattages.

What mod are you using with this? It sounds to me like we need to have an in depth look at the rig here to make sure something bad doesn’t happen.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Adding to the above, resistance increases with wire-length too. That's why longer extension cords are thicker as a general rule, so they don't build up too much resistance and melt.

So total LENGTH increasing ups the resistance since electrons have greater distance to pass through. Conversely greater WIDTH gives it "more lanes" and thus less resistance since there's more metal in parallel.

PartyMan1

Dec 28, 2018
i like that analogy about the hose makes sense thanks.
im using a kroma-a mod. Are the ohm readings on that accurate enough or do I need something additional for ohm testing?

because you also say that longer wire is more resistence but the coils I bought are suppose to be 0.99 ohms and they are from vandyvape so should be pretty accurate? but I had to clip the legs shorter for my kylin and my kroma is reading 1.16 ohms... shouldnt it be below 0.99 now instead of higher?

PartyMan1

Dec 28, 2018
im using a kroma-a mod. Are the ohm readings on that accurate enough or do I need something additional for ohm testing?

because you also say that longer wire is more resistence but the coils I bought are suppose to be 0.99 ohms and they are from vandyvape so should be pretty accurate? but I had to clip the legs shorter for my kylin and my kroma is reading 1.16 ohms... shouldnt it be below 0.99 now instead of higher?

actually it keeps jumpin around. will read 1.16 then 1.33..etc. damn its vaping good though haha

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Nope. That should be fine. All of the reasonably small stuff is about of the same accuracy. You need to spend real dollars to get anything much better

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I don't have a Kroma A, but it looks like a good device. The difference between 0.99 ohms and 1.16 is so small it's irrelevant. There is probably a small error in the mod's ohm meter, a small error in the coil resistance and a small issue with connectivity between the atty parts and through the 510 connector. Taking all that into account, you are looking pretty good :)

Regarding the change in resistance, if your coil wire is stainless steel its resistance will go up as it heats up. If its not SS, you might have an issue with a loose connection in the atty.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
actually it keeps jumpin around. will read 1.16 then 1.33..etc. damn its vaping good though haha
Small ohm meters just aren’t all that accurate. It’s really stupid that they read to a hundredth of an ohm when they’re not even really accurate to a tenth of an ohm. It’s the best we got though without spending several hundred bucks, and good enough for vaping.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Are the ohm readings on that accurate enough or do I need something additional for ohm testing?

Like others have already noted, resistance readings vary depending on many factors, and also from device to device. If you're using regulated mods (and you are ATM), I wouldn't worry too much about those minor fluctuations. That's normal. Besides, when you select the wattage you want, your mod's smart chip will do all the math for you and adjust the voltage accordingly.

Now, if you decide to get a mechanical mod at some point, you'll have to get a good ohm meter. But that's a different conversation altogether.

PartyMan1

Dec 28, 2018
thanks understood.. this bugs me a bit though because idk for sure if im "sub ohm" vaping or not lol.. not that its a big deal if its vaping to my liking and safe.. but like i said coils were suppose to be 0.99 and i cut alot of the legs off so maybe im vaping at around 0.70 for all i know but it will read up to almost a full ohm and a half .. ahhh my ocd is tingling lol.

idk if it helps but im vaping at 10 watts and its reading about 3.5-3.7 volts fluctuating.

also would the kroma be good/safe for sub ohm vaping? i might try the lower ohm coil they sent with it. so in guessing it will just use my battery faster but potentially better flavor?

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
thanks understood.. this bugs me a bit though because idk for sure if im "sub ohm" vaping or not lol.. not that its a big deal if its vaping to my liking and safe.. but like i said coils were suppose to be 0.99 and i cut alot of the legs off so maybe im vaping at around 0.70 for all i know but it will read up to almost a full ohm and a half .. ahhh my ocd is tingling lol.

idk if it helps but im vaping at 10 watts and its reading about 3.5-3.7 volts fluctuating.

also would the kroma be good/safe for sub ohm vaping? i might try the lower ohm coil they sent with it. so in guessing it will just use my battery faster but potentially better flavor?

Hang on, I'm cleaning up your quote. I'm working on my response now. Don't go anywhere. :)

Reactions: stols001

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Don't worry about sub-ohms. Your mod is capable of handling it. Kroma A can handle wattages up 75 W and coils down to .1Ω, so you're perfectly safe. It's a regulated mod, and even if have an electical short, your mod will just shut itself off.

Have you read the manual? Checked the specs? No? Homework:

Innokin Kroma A 75W TC Kit

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Don't worry about sub-ohms. Your mod is capable of handling it. Kroma A can handle wattages up 75 W and coils down to .1Ω, so you're perfectly safe. It's a regulated mod, and even if have an electical short, your mod will just shut itself off.

Have you read the manual? Checked the specs? No? Homework:

Innokin Kroma A 75W TC Kit

Bingo

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal

Do you like vaping at 10 watts? If so, you're good. What does the manufacturer of the coil recommend?

Are you at all familiar with the Ohm's Law? Here's what you need to know: Wattage (power, heat generated by your mod) = Voltage squared (of your battery) divided by Resistance (of your coil). All you need to do with a regulated mod is to choose the wattage you want--I suggest following manufacturer's recommendations for any given coil--and the mod will calculate the voltage needed.

When using a new coil, always start at the lowest wattage recommended and then work your way up if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    also would the kroma be good/safe for sub ohm vaping?

Yes. See the manual/specs.

i might try the lower ohm coil they sent with it. so in guessing it will just use my battery faster but potentially better flavor?

Yes and no. Yes, it will use your battery faster because you'll need more power to heat up that LR coil; no because the flavor may or may not be better. It's just a different kind of vape--more air, more vapor, usually more suitable for Direct to lung style of vaping. Higher resistance, smaller coils, lower wattage are perfect for imitating cigarette-like mouth to lung action--they also require higher nicotine content ejuices.

Trial and error. You'll figure it out.

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 27, 2015
    "Trial and error. You'll figure it out"
    It takes time to find the perfect vape for you. Lots of options to work through. Coil size, material, wicking, power level, airflow, juice makeup etc, etc.You won't really know until you have tried a few different options what works best. Gradually you will work it out and your choices will become easier. As long as you are either not smoking or have reduced the amount you smoke you are winning :)

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    One more point to remember. When you buy wire already wrapped into a coil ready to mount, realize the resistance on the package isn't always precise. Most are machine made and variation is the norm. It should be around the resistance, so for a 1 ohm coil you bought, 0.9-1.1 ohm is pretty much the rule.

The resistance measured on the Kroma is accurate enough for vaping. In fact boards/mods that do things like temp control well are accurate, or at least reproducible into the hundredths of an ohm. I would trust something like a Kroma to a 0.05 ohm reproducible reading.

Of you're getting jumping resistance you need to check your connections, both the screws tightened down on the coil, and a clean 510 connector both on the tank and the mod. Some metals change resistance as they heat to a noticeable degree. If you're using say SS that's the way it's supposed to behave. Not so much Kanthal or Ni80.

Don't worry about "subohm". That gets thrown around when building and vaping with higher wattage, lots of airflow, and a lot of cloudy vapor to exhale. There is nothing magic between 0.9-1.1 ohm. If you're running it at a lower wattage and reduced airflow that's a mtl type vape regardless.

Don't get caught up in watching the voltage, or even worse the amps displayed on a regulated mod like the Kroma. Set the wattage to give you the vape you want and that's the only number that applies. As to Ohms law, it's good to know, and a must if one day you ever use a mech mod (unregulated power from the battery, it's up to the battery voltage and the resistance of your coil that determines the power, no circuit to adjust it), but it doesn't apply to vaping under regulated conditions, so no sense getting crazy trying to match up the voltage displayed on the mod and the resistance of the build. It'll come out wrong and be more confusing than helpful.

Bottom line, if it's giving you a nice vape and you're not smoking, all is working perfectly.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    In general and practical terms ...

Lower Ohm Coils Will:
    • Thicker wire (more mass) heats slower than thinner wire (less mass)
    • Produce More Vapor
    • Drain The Battery Faster
    • Use E-Juice Faster
    • Produce A Warmer Tasting Vape
    Higher Ohm Coils Will:
    • Thinner wire (less mass) heats faster than thicker wire (more mass)
    • Produce “Less” Vapor
    • Provide A “Cooler” Tasting Vape
    • Use Less E-Juice
    • Prolong Battery Life
    Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread