Question about rda/rdta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameste

Mar 15, 2018
Hey

I have just started to use rdas I got VV Phobia and Drop and I have rdta pyro, ijoy combo 2 and azeroth my question is how come so much difference between rda and rdtas for flavors?

I put same coil setup in all tanks and used same cotton and juice in all rdas have lot more intense flavor. When you look at the rdtas basically rdas sitting on tank but how come this much difference in flavor?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The way the air hits the wick? The way the wick hits the coils? One of those mysteries. There’s an RTA with little pins that change the way the air swirls from the wick and each one changes the flavor of the vape. There’s probably an answer of course but it would likely be some sort of scientific deep dive to get at.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think wicking is the answer to your question. Most folks who use a RDA replace their wick every 2 - 3 days if not daily. Most folks using a RTA replace the wick every 1 - 2 weeks. The longer cotton wick is used the more quickly it loses flavor production.

I recall when some early vapers used 510 drip atomizers. Just a coil in a metal tube with no wick. They professed these provided the absolute best flavor compared to cartridges and cartomizers (which used a wick material) used at that time. We didn't replace our cartridges and cartomizers so much because of a bad coil, but because the wick material got bad.

upload_2018-3-21_18-56-37.jpeg

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think wicking is the answer to your question. Most folks who use a RDA replace their wick every 2 - 3 days if not daily. Most folks using a RTA replace the wick every 1 - 2 weeks. The longer cotton wick is used the more quickly it loses flavor production.

I recall when some early vapers used 510 drip atomizers. Just a coil in a metal tube with no wick. They professed these provided the absolute best flavor compared to cartridges and cartomizers used at that time. We didn't replace our cartridges and cartomizers so much because of a bad coil, but because the wick material got bad.

View attachment 730761
They had a wick, but it was a little arch of metal mesh. They actually went for a while if you kept cleaning them. They also made them nearly impossible to rebuild as getting the mesh back on again right was really difficult. I got onto this forum originally because of my annoyance with those things. All in all though the design wasn’t terrible for what it was.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I have a Mad Dog RDA and a Mad Dog RDTA. I also have a Goon RDA and a Goon RDTA (clone). I personally can't tell the difference in flavor or vapor production when all variables are the same. Comparing different atties are, of course, going to give different results. As an example, right now sitting in front of me I have 4 different RDAs with the same coils, same wicking and same ejuice. The only variables are the mods they are on and the attys themselves. They are all different. I have three others setups sitting here that the only thing that is the same is the ejuice and they are obviously all different from the others. I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: stols001

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
Thanks for the great information.

Could heat make a difference? I mean juice in rdtas keep getting hot and cool down again but in rda you keep adding fresh juice in it.. So maybe juice losing its intensity with keep getting hot and cool down?
That can make a difference, but if that's what is causing it your flavor should be the same at first and then slowly deteriorate as you vape it. Another thing that could cause it would be wicking. In your dripper you control the juice going in, whereas in the RDTA the wicks do. If they aren't keeping the coils as wet as you do then your flavor will be diminished. You could try wicking them differently and see if that helps.

That being said, not all atomizer create equal flavor. Maybe your drippers just produce better flavor than the RDTAs you chose. I have the iJoy RDTA (not the combo) and I know I had to get the coils really low on that one to get good flavor.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Because even microscopic differences inside an atomizer introduce an expanding balloon of variables. Differences in chamber size and shape, the size and shape of the air intakes will all affect vapor quality and flavor. Then when you introduce variables of coil composition, mass and size, different wicking styles and quality and of course personal preference and subjectivity....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread