Question about usb passthru

Status
Not open for further replies.

144man

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I received an auto usb passthru with my order from Steve. It feels so light that I can't imagine there's a battery in it.

Am I correct in assuming its running on 5v from the usb, or is it stepped down somehow? (It seems to sizzle more and taste a little different than battery mode.)

Also, what kind of output would I need from a car-lighter to usb adaptor in order to make this thing work well in the car?

TIA

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
The USB passthroughs without the inline battery are much more powerful then the ones with the inline battery (such as I have seen on the 510 models.) There is no battery per se because it gets it juice directly from the USB port. V4L has two auto to USB adaptors available - one is in super sale section for $5 and isn't powerful enough to run the PT in some cars (works fine in mine though) but will charge your batteries with the USB charger or PCC kit. The one in accessories is $8 and should run your PT well.

Pawpaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
North Texas
Also, what kind of output would I need from a car-lighter to usb adaptor in order to make this thing work well in the car? E Tek Dual USB Car Charger | Walgreens

I have one here that I bought a Wallgreens. It's a different brand (i-xt) and the unit looks different, but the picture in the package looks the same.

On the back of the card, mine says:

Output: (2) USB 1000mA power ports

If that one says the same, it should work just fine.

I haven't had a chance to try mine yet, but the rating above should work.

Bob

JenJen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
Sunny Arizona
I have one I bought at Harbor Freight for $5. It says Output 5V 0.5A max. I used to use it to charge my Smoke-51 batts, and it worked fine. I'm guessing it'll charge VK batts as well.

Does it have enough amperage to power the VK passthru? What kind of damage would I do if it doesn't?

I don't believe it would damage anything, it just won't work if there is not enough power. Several people have tried the lower one and not reported a problem other then the passthrough didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread