Question about V/W on the MVP 2.0:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovey

Jan 24, 2015
within my own thoughts....
Well here goes....after having my first crazy experience with vaping last night, i realized there's MUCH more stuff i need to know. My Aspire tank needed the atomizer changed and when i put in the new one and began to vape, not only did i get gurgling, sounds of air, but a quick shot of hot ejuice into my mouth....i was like yelling at my tank "you are NOT suppose to DO THAT!!!" lol That's when i realized i had to have a defective atomizer and that was when the lightbulb came on and i realized that i gotta get some knowledge.

So i made a run to my local vape shop today and told them about my ordeal and they gave me a free new tank and i bought some new ejuice by The Exes, flavor The Harpy. Which i'm not too sure i'm gonna like this flavor yet, but hey...it's ejuice with nicotine, i can make myself like it! lol

Sorry i got off on that train of thought, now back to my original question. I have a MVP 2.0 and it will be a week old tomorrow and i'm loving being analog free now. However, since i still have LOTS to learn, i need some answers to the Voltage and Wattage on this particular Mod so i don't burn out my coils and/or atomizers so quickly.

The new tank the vape shop gave me today is an iClear 30B. It registers at 1.7 ohms and i usually like to put voltage right around 4 to 4.6. The wattage i set at 8.0, but then i read last night on another site that the MVP automatically adjusts the wattage once you set your volts at your desired limit. Yet, when i click on the wattage, it still is set at 8.0, no matter what range i set the volts and visa versa.? This all confuses me and i just want to know how i can get the best vape without worrying about burning coils or shortening the life on my atomizers?

Can i go higher on the volts and also the wattage? And if so, if its true that when you adjust volts, the MVP adjusts the wattage for you....then why does the wattage still show up at what i keep it at, which is 8.0?

So there ya go......can you give me an estimate of what i need to keep my voltage/wattage set on for this particular 1.7 ohms?

Last edited:
Ultimately it is a preference thing. Typically the recommended voltage is the resistance of your atomizer (1.6) plus 2. From what ive read, that is a general rule of thumb, but its all based on your preferred vape. As far as the wattage and voltage goes on the MVP, the reason the wattage will stay at 8 even though you've adjusted your voltage is, the display only shows your most recent setting you adjusted it to. The reason both are there is some people prefer to use one or the other when adjusting their device. The key thing is to remember, no matter which screen you were on last, that is the setting your MVP will use. Even though it isnt visible that the watts change when you adjust the volts (and vice versa), it automatically makes the adjustments, because watts and volts go hand in hand. Sorry for the long winded/complicated response. BTW welcome to ECF!

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
What the others have said about volts or watts. And If you are vaping at 8 watts and then change the MVP2 to say 4.6 volts, they will not be firing identically. I don't know the calculation to determine that, but somebody may be along that can provide that. I just know when I got mine, they suggested just doing watts, start low and slowly crank it up until I think it is too high, then back it off a notch or two.

I mostly wanted to add, since your post didn't mention it, that a couple/few primer puffs should be done before firing a new coil. At least I am not aware of any that don't recommend it. Primer puff is taking a puff without hitting the fire button. And sorry if I am giving unnecessary, rudiment information.

Jovey

Jan 24, 2015
Thanks everyone....the info you gave helped me understand it better. I'm still a bit unclear how it all works, but hey....i'm getting up in age, so i have an excuse! lol But yeah, i think i understand it better now, so thanks to each of you! :)

Didn't know about the Primer Puffs....i just hope i didn't ruin this new tank because i didn't do that. So thanks OlderNDirt for that info, i imagine that will save me some money in the future!

Guess i will just sit my volts on 4.6 and leave wattage alone. Only because i get a better throat hit, it seems...at the 4.6 level. I just want to make sure i don't blow out my coils and/or atomizers by adjusting both at TOO high of a level.

Ohhh and btw, thanks Bernier 51 for the welcome. However, guess by what you stated on the resistance, i would need to set my volts at 3.6? That just doesn't cut it for me personally as far as being strong enough. Hoping having it set at 4.0 or above....i.e.4.5 or 4.6 doesn't burn out the coils etc.

I'm guessing also that the higher you go, the ejuice goes quicker....but again, like i said...i have lots to learn!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Didn't know about the Primer Puffs....i just hope i didn't ruin this new tank because i didn't do that. So thanks OlderNDirt for that info, i imagine that will save me some money in the future!

It shouldn't hurt the Aspire tank, just the coils or more accurately, the wicking. If the one(s) you changed to and hit without priming taste burnt, put in a new one and prime it. You should be good to go then. Hope that helps, good luck, and happy :vapor:!

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Thanks everyone....the info you gave helped me understand it better. I'm still a bit unclear how it all works, but hey....i'm getting up in age, so i have an excuse! lol But yeah, i think i understand it better now, so thanks to each of you! :)

Guess i will just sit my volts on 4.6 and leave wattage alone. Only because i get a better throat hit, it seems...at the 4.6 level. I just want to make sure i don't blow out my coils and/or atomizers by adjusting both at TOO high of a level.

Ohhh and btw, thanks Bernier 51 for the welcome. However, guess by what you stated on the resistance, i would need to set my volts at 3.6? That just doesn't cut it for me personally as far as being strong enough. Hoping having it set at 4.0 or above....i.e.4.5 or 4.6 doesn't burn out the coils etc.

I'm guessing also that the higher you go, the ejuice goes quicker....but again, like i said...i have lots to learn!

Thanks everyone!

hi Ky Girl, welcome to ECF

so watts or volts - - if you put it in Watts mode, the chip inside will maintain that
heat range by auto adjusting your volts (which you don’t see) So if you like said
vapor at 8.5W, reguardless of what tank you put on, the heat of 8.5W will be produced…
--------------------------
if you use Volts mode, YOU have to adjust to heat range you like (start low and move up slowly)
so say you vape away and end up gunking up your coil and the Ω increases 1.7-1.8Ω
in volts your heat changes / in watts auto adj keeps it the same…
another example: to find a starting VOLT add 2.0 to your Ω’s so 1.7Ω+2.0=3.7v
BUT, if you use watts mode, set watts to 8.0w and it auto sets it at the +2.0 rule...
- Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator

on the MVP,
--
-holding both buttons:
-first display is, Coil Ω’s
-second display is, Charge Remaining in internal battery
- - -
single button operation:
>push and hold (top button) "P" for watts control
>push and hold (bottom button) "U" for volts control
-the first display will always be Puff Counter (0-999)
(which actually just counts how many times you push your Fire button)
-second number displayed is the adjustable setting (v or w)
-- it is EITHER volts OR watts, never both
-- 3 clks off / 3 clks on (puff counter resets to "0" each time)
-- MVP memory maintains until you change it

- - -

always put drops on your wicks to 'prime' them along with the dry-pull

as far as tanks, maybe be best to try another one for more success :unsure:
these ARE VERY POPULAR (just ask all the cool kids)
- Aspire Nautilus Mini (BVC) Tank Clearomizer
- Aspire Nautilus Coil Replacements 5 Pack - 1.6ohms

good luck and be sure to keep asking
:)

As others said it's strictly preference. When I started vaping I used the wattage setting going anywhere between 6.5 & 8.0 watts on my MVP 2.0. Recently I changed to a different clearomizer (iClear 30B) and started straight lung hitting instead of mouth to lung, I found that now a voltage setting between 3.7 & 4.0 volts is better for me. Figure?

Jovey

Jan 24, 2015
Wow, some really great info PufZepplin and a huge thank you to all of you for your input!! I do love my MVP iTaste and when i first started having problems with my atty, i actually thought it was my MVP and was getting really frustrated...but now that i know more about coils, VW etc....it's helping me understand all of this. So yeah, God bless each of you for your input!

SugarNutz, how often do you have to change your atty in your tank? I just got mine yesterday and already having an issue with getting it to stay consistent on each puff. Meaning, i can take a hit off of it and then the next time i puff...i have to adjust the Voltage or wattage to get back that "sweet spot" i had on the previous hit. So yeah, again i'm still learning...but curious as to how long your atty's last you on this particular tank?

Thanks again ya'll....you're the BEST! :)

Schmitz Bitz

Mar 19, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
KyGirl, I wonder if you're not running into the same issue as I when I first started vaping - and that's that I wanted to puff my PV like a cigarette (which just doesn't work). If you draw too deeply, or rapid-fire chain-vape, you open yourself up to dry hits - particularly with top-coil setups like the I-Clear.

With any clearo, I find I get the best flavour if I puff more akin to a pipe or cigar than to a cigarette; gently sip as though drinking hot liquid through a straw and slow cadence. I've also found that if you either begin your puff prior to firing, or continue your puff after releasing the button, this will help to prime your wicks for the next puff. Also, when I'm vaping at higher wattage or voltage, "pulsing" the fire button (on - off - on - off) through the puff seems to help keep the flavour consistent.
With your top fill I-Clear, you will also benefit from flipping it over, and swirling the juice around every so often. It seems the wicks often dry out under heavy use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread