Question directed to @Mooch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@Mooch I've been wondering. Would it be worthwhile to recommend the below device to mech mod owners? Your comments are appreciated.

Bug Safety Fuse by Atmizoo - MyVaporStore I have no idea how well it performs, but it has received 5/5 stars in user reviews. It may not fit in all mods. Only $18, and today is the first time I've seen it actually in stock.

Authentic Bug Safety Fuse by Atmizoo
Made in Greece

Based around a resettable PTC element, the Bug is a high-amp short-circuit protection module that adds dependable safety to mechanical mods.

Specifications

• Over-current / short-circuit protection module based around a replaceable, low-voltage-drop polymeric fuse.
  • Short-profile 5mm construction, ideal for use with springless, mechanical telescopic mods.
  • Silver-plated contacts for the best possible performance.
  • Compatible with all mods, side- or bottom-activated.
  • It can be used with atomizer resistances down to 0.6 Ohms.
Bug-Newest.jpg

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
@Mooch I've been wondering. Would it be worthwhile to recommend the below device to mech mod owners? Your comments are appreciated.

Bug Safety Fuse by Atmizoo - MyVaporStore I have no idea how well it performs, but it has received 5/5 stars in user reviews. It may not fit in all mods. Only $18, and today is the first time I've seen it actually in stock.

Authentic Bug Safety Fuse by Atmizoo
Made in Greece

Based around a resettable PTC element, the Bug is a high-amp short-circuit protection module that adds dependable safety to mechanical mods.

Specifications

• Over-current / short-circuit protection module based around a replaceable, low-voltage-drop polymeric fuse.
  • Short-profile 5mm construction, ideal for use with springless, mechanical telescopic mods.
  • Silver-plated contacts for the best possible performance.
  • Compatible with all mods, side- or bottom-activated.
  • It can be used with atomizer resistances down to 0.6 Ohms.
Bug-Newest.jpg

JSIC...

This "Fuse" is going to trip at 7+ Amps?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This "Fuse" is going to trip at 7+ Amps?
Product description says can be used down to 0.6 ohm. My ohms law calculation says 7 amps, 29.4 watts.

Voltage: 4.2 volts
Resistance: 0.6 ohm
Wattage: 29.4 watts
Amperage or current: 7 amps​

Obviously, you wouldn't use this product if your coil resistance is lower than 0.6 ohm. Allegedly, there are people on this forum who use a coil resistance upwards of 0.6 ohm on their mechs, as I do. So a device like this should provide a layer of protection against short circuits.

Last edited:

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Allegedly, there are people on this forum who use a coil resistance upwards of 0.6 ohm on their mechs, as I do. So a device like this should provide a layer of protection against short circuits.
Yes, could be nice for lowish wattage users (like my alleged self) -- if they also use mods that have enough adjustability to allow for the 5mm of extra length in their battery tube/sled. Only one of ten of my mechs would qualify (and I don't use it anymore anyway) -- although I could probably fashion an 18650 adaptor incorporating one of these for my 20700 dotquonks or even my 21700 furyan.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    This looks like potentially a good product.

I'm not trying to micturate on your parade Bad, but the kind of users who would really benefit from this would sneer derisively at the 0.6 ohm limit.

Unfortunately, I agree. We have protected cells for this current range and they’re not being used.

This looks like it could be a great device but IMO most vapers will think it’s incredibly expensive. Those vapers will feel they are being careful and so they won’t feel they need such a device.

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
    Aug 18, 2018
    Just my 2 cents worth, but anyone using mech mod over 7 amps probably needs to convert to a regulated mod. Personally, I don't want anything next to my face that operates at the upper limit of a cell's rating without fail safe hardware being involved.

really that's your limit. 7 amps.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    really that's your limit. 7 amps.

Not my limit. That's the current limit of the device that Baditude was displaying.

I vape at 10W most of the time. That's about 3.4A. I never wanted anything higher than what it takes to replicate the cigarettes I once smoked. Two 18650's last me all day with a little battery power left for the next morning. Mechs were never meant to blow huge clouds, IMO. High wattage is much safer with short protection and high amp shutdown.

Of course, when I started vaping my hardware was Joye 510 and Ego. Old habits die hard.

Last edited:

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
    Aug 18, 2018
    I vape at 10W most of the time. That's about 3.4A. I never wanted anything higher than what it takes to replicate the cigarettes I once smoked. Two 18650's last me all day with a little battery power left for the next morning. Mechs were never meant to blow huge clouds, IMO. high wattage is much safer with short protection and high amp shutdown.

Of course, when I started vaping my hardware was Joye 510 and Ego. Old habits die hard.

you realize that 7 amps on a 10A rated battery is functionally no different then 17.5 amps on a 25A rated battery right.

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Just my 2 cents worth, but anyone using mech mod over 7 amps probably needs to convert to a regulated mod. Personally, I don't want anything next to my face that operates at the upper limit of a cell's rating without fail safe hardware being involved.

I’ve tried but just can’t give up my mechs. It just isn’t the same. On a freshly charged battery I’m at about an 11.5 amp draw. I use LG HB6s mostly so I am still well below their limit. I don’t mind sacrificing run time for the extra margin of safety.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    you realize that 7 amps on a 10A rated battery is functionally no different then 17.5 amps on a 25A rated battery right.

Yes. I'm a career electronics tech rep. My point was that above that level it's time to think of safety when you put something next to your head and crank it to a high amp level. A 25A cell fails in a much more spectacular display of hot electrolyte and percussion when shorted than a 10A cell, but both can spew fire like a blow torch. IMO, it's best to be as safe as possible doing what we do. Even a low rated lithium cell can ruin your day if it pops in the vicinity of your face.

I second Baditude's suggestion that using the safety fuse on mechs where it's applicable. Of course, it won't work with higher wattage mechs due to its limitations on power and coil resistance.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Although intentions are good, the problem with this fuse is that it involves a human element in where one has to be willing to utilize a safety feature as such. If the objective is to make mech mods, especially tube mech mods safer, then this human element needs to be removed from the equation. A standard would have to be implemented for all mech manufactures to follow. The challenge now becomes how does one obtain such standards while retaining the simplicity of a mechanical device.

Are there any statistics that states the most common problem to mechanical device failures are users building coils that draw more than what their cells are capable of? If this is a common human trait, then why are we not seeing similar failures with other devices such as the ever so popular mechanical squonk mods? I fully understand that with the physical characteristics of a tube mech, a battery failure can be much more dramatic – but venting or thermal runaway due to high currant draw on a mechanical device should not be segregated to tube mechs only. Despite a mech squonker may not turn into a pipe bomb, should this venting and or thermal runaway happen while the device is in the user’s hand, or at their face, one can still incur a serious injury. But these reports are few in comparison which leads me to believe there are more to these failures than just low ohm builds.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Yes. I'm a career electronics tech rep. My point was that above that level it's time to think of safety when you put something next to your head and crank it to a high amp level. A 25A cell fails in a much more spectacular display of hot electrolyte and percussion when shorted than a 10A cell, but both can spew fire like a blow torch. IMO, it's best to be as safe as possible doing what we do. Even a low rated lithium cell can ruin your day if it pops in the vicinity of your face.

I second Baditude's suggestion that using the safety fuse on mechs where it's applicable. Of course, it won't work with higher wattage mechs due to its limitations on power and coil resistance.

An argument can be made that the low current-rated cells are “more dangerous” because of their, typically, greater capacity. The additional active material in higher capacity cells can create a greater volume of gas if the cell goes into thermal runaway.

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
    Aug 18, 2018

Its functionally the same from
    The perspective of the battery. The same amount of stuff is packed inside. You could be unsafe for other reasons but from the battery side the safety rating is the safety rating.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread