Question - DIY improved my experience by 100%... Next? Building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Florida
I've been mixing for around 4 months now and enjoy vaping more than ever. I can't imagine buying another juice again. ELR and ATF is like an endless juice store where everthing is 95% off with free shipping.. That being said - for those that used to vaped factory coils and then got into building there own, was the improvement vastly better or just cheaper? I always looked at building as a chore that I'd just rather pay for the coils but I felt the same way about DIY juice and I had no idea what I was missing out on.

Any recommendations for a MTL subohm tank? I vape out of very thing drip tips (they are hard to get now, similar to a starbucks straw... )

Thanks in advance!

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
Cheaper for sure.
Buying factory coils became a chore, even before the vape mail ban. I had some older sub-ohm tanks. First the shops stopped selling the coils and then they got hard to find on-line. With a few exceptions, I'd say that any tank that uses factory coils will become obsolete when you can't get coils for them anymore. Some people here have stocked up on them to have a lifetime supply. That is a large investment.

Tanks with factory made coils are like computer printers. The manufacturers sell the hardware cheap and make their money on the ink cartridges. If you accidentally burn a factory coil, you have to throw away a $3 coil. If you accidentally burn a self built coil, you throw away pennies worth of cotton.

I also felt that the factory coils provided few options for varying the experience. Any rebuildable atomizer provides the ability to tailor the coil build to your preferences. It takes some time to get to know an atomizer and how it works with different builds. Like DIY, it helps to keep notes. So it may not be "better" right off.

Wrapping coils and then wicking them provides an immersive experience in which you are in control, and you are free to experiment. Along with DIY, It becomes part of your life. It's interesting, relaxing, and satisfying.

Last edited:

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Florida
Cheaper for sure.
Buying factory coils became a chore, even before the vape mail ban. I had some older sub-ohm tanks. First the shops stopped selling the coils and then they got hard to find on-line. With a few exceptions, I'd say that any tank that uses factory coils will become obsolete when you can't get coils for them anymore. Some people here have stocked up on them to have a lifetime supply. That is a large investment.

Tanks with factory made coils are like computer printers. The manufacturers sell the hardware cheap and make their money on the ink cartridges. If you accidentally burn a factory coil, you have to throw away a $3 coil. If you accidentally burn a self built coil, you throw away pennies worth of cotton.

I also felt that the factory coils provided few options for varying the experience. Any rebuildable atomizer provides the ability to tailor the coil build to your preferences. It takes some time to get to know an atomizer and how it works with different builds. Like DIY, it helps to keep notes. So it may not be "better" right off.

Wrapping coils and then wicking them provides an immersive experience in which you are in control, and you are free to experiment. Along with DIY, It becomes part of your life. It's interesting, relaxing, and satisfying.

That's what got me into DIY. All the vendors I used were closed last March - I was already stockpiling Nicotine for the event that I could no longer get any juice I liked at a reasonable cost. I had a stop gap and still have a 2 liters of some of my favorite juice but haven't touched it and can make it myself.

Coils - I still have access to coils for a very good price. How long that lasts who knows. I have a RTA right now that I bought for just in case but I don't know much about it. It's a MTL tank but haven't even opened the box... I guess I need to watch some youtube vids and rely on the good folks here once I get started.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
I don't get it. For me it's just a myth that a stock coil tank is much easier to use than an RTA.
Aside from the first build, modern RTAs are almost as easy to rewick than changing a stock coil.
Rinsing, cleaning and priming are mandatory for all tanks anyways, so the sole additional steps are dry burning the coil before rinsing, inserting a new wick, cutting it and stuffing it down the juice ports. With a little bit of experience and when you've found your sweet spot, this can be done in under a minute.

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
Any recommendations for a MTL subohm tank?
"MTL" & "subohm" don't really go together. You can build an MTL RTA to about any Ohm's you want but, if you go too far below 1.0 Ohm, well, they're not made for that. There are lots of MTL RTAs around. If you enter "MTL RTA" into a search engine, you should get several 'best of' lists for 2021. Next step would be to check reviews & build tutorials for ones that look good to you.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Florida
"Subohming is for DL only" is another myth.
I vape my 0.5ohm coils from 16-24W, which gives me a warm, saturated and satisfying MTL vape.

Yeah - not sure where they came from - I've been vaping MTL at 45 watts for 5 years. I tried direct lung and did not care for it at all.. I use a very restrictive drip tip with air flow wide open as well..

Reactions: mimöschen

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I'd recommend Googleling 'Kayfun'. There's many different models and a bunch of clones available. (mostly from the FAR east)

Easy to build on, top fill, juice and airflow control that can be turned down to a 'loose' MTL or opened up for a 'restricted' DL. Some of the clones can be had for $19 and include replaceable glass and/or metal options.

I have a few dozen of the v5 in my stash.

Highly recommended.

Like many others I started on factory coils. Besides being hit/miss (some would ether not work at all or only last a few days) the cost from local vendors was crazy! With a rebuildable, I can taylor the build for the battery life and vapor output I want. I now count coil age in MONTHS instead of days and usually simply remove the old wick - dryburn and rewick/prime - put back together and I'm ready to go! I have a multiple lifetime supply of Rayon (from Sallies) and wire. Zero cost after initial investment.

g.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Yeah - not sure where they came from - I've been vaping MTL at 45 watts for 5 years. I tried direct lung and did not care for it at all.. I use a very restrictive drip tip with air flow wide open as well..

Because just like the improper use of the word "mod", "sub-ohm" is also improperly used. "Sub-ohm" is synonymous with "cloud-chasing" in the vape world, but the fact is "sub-ohm" means nothing more than the fact that someone vapes on a sub-ohm coil, a coil under 1 ohm. I DL vape on a 0.5 ohm coil at 25-30W sometimes, but I'm hardly exhaling "cloudz bro".

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm guilty of that. I've used the term for tubular factory made coil assemblies that already have cotton in them. What is the proper name for that kind of "coil."

I just call factory-made coils "factory coils", lot's of people here call them "drop-ins", which I'm not sure why because at the time that term was coined there was maybe only one true "drop-in" coil on the market, the Joyetech BF coil - you literally just drop it in the tank without pushing it in, screwing it in or anything else.

Some factory coils are sub-ohm some aren't, although today most seem to be sub-ohm but not necessarily for high wattage or DL.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I'd recommend Googleling 'Kayfun'. There's many different models and a bunch of clones available. (mostly from the FAR east)

I agree - the Kayfun Prime is easily my favourite RTA - my favourite tank of any kind, actually. I find it miles ahead of any drop-in coil tanks I've used.

The Kayfun Lite [plus] or Kayfun 5 (which should be distinguished from the Kayfun 5 squared, which is DL) might also work for you. I'll warn you that authentic Kayfuns are expensive (but very well made), so that might not be where you want to start if you're not sure if you'll stick with building.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I agree - the Kayfun Prime is easily my favourite RTA - my favourite tank of any kind, actually. I find it miles ahead of any drop-in coil tanks I've used.

The Kayfun Lite [plus] or Kayfun 5 (which should be distinguished from the Kayfun 5 squared, which is DL) might also work for you. I'll warn you that authentic Kayfuns are expensive (but very well made), so that might not be where you want to start if you're not sure if you'll stick with building.

While some of the KF5 clone's air flow can be turned down further than the KF5 squared, its not a DL tank. Like most KF's the air flow is adjustable.

I picked up most of my KF5 clones from the far east for ~$19.00 a copy. YES the authentics are expensive! (if you can find them)

One of the better tanks I have. Easy to build single coil, top fill and does not leak.

g.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I'm guilty of that. I've used the term for tubular factory made coil assemblies that already have cotton in them. What is the proper name for that kind of "coil."

I just call factory-made coils "factory coils", lot's of people here call them "drop-ins", which I'm not sure why because at the time that term was coined there was maybe only one true "drop-in" coil on the market, the Joyetech BF coil - you literally just drop it in the tank without pushing it in, screwing it in or anything else.

Some factory coils are sub-ohm some aren't, although today most seem to be sub-ohm but not necessarily for high wattage or DL.
    I've referred to them as 'coil heads'..

• Agree
    Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    With a few exceptions, I'd say that any tank that uses factory coils will become obsolete when you can't get coils for them anymore.

Agree. And, afaik, the exceptions are the ones that have available RTA heads.

Supportability for the long haul was my concern, years back. Nifty new tank, 6 months later it's superceded and coils no longer to be had. Uh, not to my liking!!

As mentioned, for any given RTA the first build or two are the only "challenging" ones. After that, yep, adds maybe a minute or two to prepping the tank. A spool of wire will last a long time, that, rayon or cotton will always be accessible. With all the efforts in the USofA to stamp out vaping, coils may not be. After all, per the FDA they're made out of tobacco, so will eventually be hard to find.

I still vape on the venerable Kayfun Light +, and the Coppervape Skyline (still available at FT.) The Skyline does add juice flow control, more control over air flow, than the KF. For me, both are non-leakers. Some have had issues with the KF, but seemingly rare. I've not. :)

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    Personally I find it a lot harder to rebuild atomizers with opposing posts (with the coil between the two posts). I would recommend getting an atomizer whose posts are side by side.

I think other than the possibility of getting different results by using different types of wire and cotton, most people also find it very satisfying to have an atomizer that only costs a few dollars a year to maintain, with the added benefit of being ‘independent’ (even if vaping got banned, you would still be able to buy wire and cotton).

• Agree
    Reactions: DavidOck

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Personally I find it a lot harder to rebuild atomizers with opposing posts (with the coil between the two posts). I would recommend getting an atomizer whose posts are side by side.

I always felt the opposite. With side by side posts you need the legs to come off the coil in the same direction. If the holes are at the same height I have trouble bending the legs without deforming the coil. And if the separation of the holes is wider than the length of the coil you have to bend the legs sideways as well as up and down.

I did have a tank once with side by side posts where the separation was the same as the length of my coils, and one hole was higher than the other, so I didn't have to bend the legs at all. Can't remember what tank that was and it's gone now.

Reactions: DavidOck
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread