Question for mods regarding disclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciego

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
A dank basement in SE Minnesota
I hope this isn't inappropriate, and I urge moderators to obliterate this thread if they don't like it (or me).

Shouldn't part of the "full disclosure" policy for PIFs include approximate date of original purchase on e-liquids? I ask this for two reasons.

1. Recently, I accepted a PIF. At least half the juice I received was obviously past its prime...like, wa-a-a-ay past its prime. I've talked behind the scenes with a number of members, all of whom have agreed that many of the juices they receive have circulated around the PIF circuit several times over several months. This is of concern. I don't know if the juice has been handled in a way that would keep it free from contamination (accidental, I would certainly hope, but contamination is contamination). I can tell that a few bottles I have received have been around a long time and have passed through many hands.

2. I have searched all over ECF short of directly asking the veterans. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the safe shelf life is for e-liquid. Like any other product, I would presume that fresher is better though, and knowing an approximate purchase date would help determine this.

Frankly, I would like to not only see some sort of freshness statement included with PIF offers, but I would also like to see prohibition against PIFfing juices where the label is in whole or in part unreadable.

Look, I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth; I appreciate every dram of juice sent to me, but I think that people who recycle PIFs for month after month, PIF after PIF are not acting in the spirit of this group. For Pete's sake, if you receive some rotten juice, throw it away, but don't pay it forward.

BiancaMontgomery

SQUIRREL!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
North Carolina
I was just having this converstion last night with some vaping/ECF friends and we all agreed that e-liquid is *probably* good for about a year IF STORED CORRECTLY. Now, there's no way possible for us to know how anyone else is storing their e-liquid unless we're living with that person, but it's been made known here in the past that paying forward KNOWN bad eliquid is a bannable offense. Like, for life. I'm going to do some looking around because I'm pretty sure that's posted in the PIF Thread rules. I'll get back here with what I find.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
The caveat is that proper storage can vary, particularly if you work with non pg juice and organic flavorings.

Some flavorings recommend refrigeration after opening. I don't diy large amounts with those items at any one time, but the shelf life of those juices is, conservatively, probably more like 6-8 months, allowing for non-optimum storage.

(As El said, don't pif it if you would not vape it.)

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Hey Cie!

I agree, and have been in the same boat. I've thrown away things I've received, because they don't pass my own freekishly odd standards.. but that's part of the problem. We all have different standards, tastes, and likes/dislikes. What one loves, another hates. What I think is clean.. you may turn up your nose in disgust. There are no set standards other than obvious expiry dates, or 'gunk' floating in the liquid (received a few of those too... ew). Luckily, some vendors are now including 'born' dates.. so that helps! But other than the glaringly obvious.. there *is* no real way to police this.. it's all "at your own risk".

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
1- As far as keeping track of age...I simply say - once you have a tackle box with 100 bottles in it, and you can remember in what QUARTER each was bought, then we might be onto something. Until then, some ppl get shipments weekly, some even daily, and dare not we ever run out completely.
2- We also know that some liquids just grow better with age. it just gets worse knowing we have to buy, and put on a shelf for 1 week to 1 month just so it vapes right.
With that, I have 1 rule of thumb...if the label looks like its been rolled in the dirt, and all the seals are discolored looking a mess, I dont pif it...I use it, or chuck it. I just dont dig looking at a bottle that looks like it just rolled out of the sewer. Now I wont say its never been done. PIF'in was once a cure for " I know its still good, and I can't pitch good money, but it sure looks a mess or not my flav...But Ive raised standards now that I can afford better, and ppl love free stuff, and even more so when its pretty.
As humans we are simply more judgmental towards items we didn't get to destroy personally. We might know and love the actual puddle of mud that bottle was rolled through, but that fellow pifer does not. We just gotta remember this. Pif quality goods that just wasnt your cup of tea, not the junk you hoarded knowing its just junk, but filled the shelf so looks like you had a better stash. ( yeah, I been there too)...
And one final "woot woot", just for being ceigo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread