Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
This is a real new member question. I get the difference between high PG and high VG. I also understand a subohm coil for high VG and "standard" coils (>1 ohm) for PG. My question is what happens if I were to use a high PG juice (I really don't want a big cloud) with a subohm coil?

It seems like so many new products are being pushed out with subohm coils (like even the eGo AIO which feels to me like something made for a new user) that options for less vapor are decreasing. I really like the new eLeaf Pico, which as a kit comes with the subohm Melo 3, and realize I can get the mod itself then stick a tank like the Nautilus mini on it, but how messed up would it be to just get the kit and still use my "standard" high PG juice in it with a subohm coil?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks. It's helpful to know. I understand a high VG will not work with a standard coil, but having the option of using a subohm coil/tank with a high PG liquid makes stocking coils/tanks easier on my vape "storage" drawer. I'm sure as I get more comfortable and knowledgeable about what works, and what I like, I'll end up with a big pile of stuff. But for now, I'm aiming for the KISS approach.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
@Eskie you are slightly misunderstanding.

VG - Very thick, produces a lot of vapor.
PG - Much thinner is responsible for carrying a lot of the flavor. Also gives an increased throat hit.

You can use any ratio of these two you like on any coil you like. Most people opt for around a 70/30 VG/PG mix as this gives a good balance of both.

The potential issue is with juices that use a higher VG content that due to their high viscosity (thicker) wick poorly in some devices like some tanks for instance. In this case some use a juice with a higher proportion of PG, being less viscous (thinner) it wicks better so is less likely to create a dry hit.
Obviously this is device and build dependent. Some atomizers have very small juice flow holes, so if you apply enough wattage to the coil, unless the juice is very thin the wicking cannot keep up.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So right now I'm using Halo's Tribeca that I believe is 80/20 PG/VG. The coil on my Triton is 2.2-2.5 ohm on their 650 mA set voltage battery. If instead I use a variable voltage mod with hypothetically a 0.5 ohm head at low wattage I could still use the same 80/20 standard. I would guess if I turned up the voltage/wattage on that I'd end up with a burnt taste, or the vapor would just feel too hot?

However, if I used a high VG liquid in my 2.5 ohm tank, it would wick poorly, and probably give me dry hits. As a MTL vaper and recent ex-smoker, I would obviously prefer something with a high PG mix. If I used the high PG mix in a subohm tank, I wouldn't "damage" anything, but perhaps not get as satisfying a vape. I know subohm tanks also have more airflow for a better DTL (and cloud?), and I would have to turn that all the way down to get the same feeling of a restricted draw that I now get which feels more like drawing on a cig.

I suppose I'm trying to figure out a one size fits all solution, where the same coil would be good for my high PG juice, but still allow me to use a high VG liquid if I wanted to experiment. I could go high PG with a subohm and it might be OK, but a higher ohm would likely give me a poor experience with a high VG juice, or would it not matter as long as the coil can wick the juice, avoiding a dry hit?

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Halo doesn't list their VG/PG ratio, I've tried the tribeca and midnight apple (i think that was the name). IMHO its more close to a 50/50 or 40/60 VG/PG blend.

2.5ohm is a bit on the high resistance side. You could try prebuilt coils around the 1 to 1.5ohm range and see if it suites your vaping style.

When I finished the 2 halo 30ml bottles I used them in both a subohm (0.4) set up and a superohm (1.2) setup. I to direct lung inhales.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I could have sworn I read it somewhere. Then again, I've looked at so many different brands and websites since going in this direction I probably just confused myself. The more I read, the more confused I become.;)

Bottom line, though, I'm off cigs over 6 months now, so a little confusion is still way better than a lot of tobacco smoke.

Reactions: rice721

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
I could have sworn I read it somewhere. Then again, I've looked at so many different brands and websites since going in this direction I probably just confused myself. The more I read, the more confused I become.;)

Bottom line, though, I'm off cigs over 6 months now, so a little confusion is still way better than a lot of tobacco smoke.

Grats on quitting the stinkies. I'm in my second month.

Here's a link to their response with PG/VG ratio question E-liquid FAQ

[edit] ofcourse I could be wrong with the PG/VG ratio as well. But I've diy'd some 30/70 batch and tried juices with 40/60 and the Halo's have a bigger throat hit by far (so I'm assuming more PG).

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Grats on quitting the stinkies. I'm in my second month.

Here's a link to their response with PG/VG ratio question E-liquid FAQ

There you go. No idea where I pulled that info from. And congrats on your second month!

It's strange as it's been long enough for my sense of smell to pretty much return and now when I smell a burning cigarette it actually bothers me.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
There you go. No idea where I pulled that info from. And congrats on your second month!

It's strange as it's been long enough for my sense of smell to pretty much return and now when I smell a burning cigarette it actually bothers me.

Sense of smell and taste actually did improve a bit for me as well but I'm pretty heavy on the salt when it comes to food.

No more morning cough or repetitive coughing throughout the day.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I once vaped Tribeca 18mg in a subtank at 20w.

Too much nicotine, too much throat hit, almost too much full stop. (It was quite something, and not in a good way)

You can use a 0.5ohm coil, but start it down at 10 watts (or something) or prepare to meet a wall of very overpowering vapor.

You probably wouldn't get either a hot taste or burn the coil until you were way up with your watts.
25w might start to get a little warm. The coil might get to 50w without showing any signs of not having enough juice. (Depends on the make).

Tribeca has quite a throat hit. It must have quite a bit of PG (Halo never say) but comes out fairly thick, so it's not just the PG 'hitting'... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread