Question on diy juice going from smooth to harsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah2oo4

Sep 14, 2009
I am having a problem today I made a few batches of ejuice and have been vaping on it all day and it’s been fine.

Just sampling flavors before i make complex recipes which I have done a few complex ones that turned out great. However today my rootbeer flavored juice turned harsh ( it was fine until I refilled it). The liquid it self is clear. I steeped it with nicotine in it using an ultrasonic cleaner for 2 hours over the course of two days. Tastes great but it somehow turned harsh. Wondering if it’s the vape or possibly the coil. Does not taste burnt.

So I poured it into a bottle and refilled with a different flavor which is lava cake from liquid barn ( both flavors are from liquid barn ) using recommended mixing %. They both taste great but so harsh.

Is it my coil or my juice?

Also both are mixed 80vg/20pg
3mg nic salts 9mg freebase nic
I use that mix because I get instant relief and less often cravings. Discovered it by mixing premium salt and premium freebase back when I bought ejuice.

I apologize if my message is all jumbled up I’m sleepy and been scouring the internet with no luck on this question.

Ps when I mix premium salt with premium freebase there is no harshness.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
It might be a couple different things that caused it, IMO.

1) That your 2 flavorings contain ethyl alcohol. I know that some root beer flavorings do for sure. I'm not familiar with LB flavorings though, nor with Lava Cake.

I can personally easily tell when a flavoring or eliquid has EA in it, because I get not only a harshness, but also an almost immediate headache at the back base of my head.

When I DIY, I check the ingredients of my flavorings to see if any of them have EA in them. If they do, I make the eliquid, shake the beegeebees out of it, then remove the tip and cap and let it sit open for a day or 2. During that time I shake the bottle several times a day to cause more bubbles in the eliquid. When those bubbles pop...the EA evaporates off. You will then see a sort of whitish ring around the inside of the bottle, at the top of the eliquid.

2) Some flavorings I've used singly at like 6% (one-shots, or all-in-one blended flavorings), and then vaped a few tanks of the eliquid, and they were terrific. Then I've not vaped any more of them for a few days. When I tried them again, they were both harsh and/or bitey to me. One was then to the point that it actually irritated my lips and parts of my mouth, and it was my favorite one 2 days earlier!

I diluted both of them down (with more plain VG) until they were about 4%, instead of the 6% I'd started with. I vaped some right away after doing that, and both were fine. 2 days later, I needed to further dilute the 1 that was irritating before...so that it was then 3%. That did it. Both were fine then.

So, you may have flavorings that really "wake up" or "come into their own", etc. after several days, and are harsh then. It's quite possible you initially used too high a % for them, like I did. I'd try some dilution to see if that helps after a day or so.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Is it my coil or my juice?
Could try a new coil and see if that clears the problem. If no luck, I would recommend remixing the recipe without any nic , shake it a few times during a month's natural steep and then vape. If it still giving you the problem, the recipe may never work.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Steeping is totally a friend when it comes to harshness, could also be caused by reacting to a new source of nic, potentially or flavoring, or PG/VG ratio, could be many things.

Basically, you'll have to do some experimenting. Everyone likes certain different tastes strengths, and etc., so let it steep a bit if it's still DREADFUL, then perhaps experiment with different ratios, dilutioins and etc.

KEEP NOTES, continuously EVERY time you change something, to be honest I have learned FAR more about mixing by trying to "fix" failed mixes than by my early successes. I really have. So keep at it, keep notes and in the meantime well, one shots are typically designed to be shake and vape, so they can be nice to have handy, One Shot DIY is a good place to look.

I never used an UC honestly I found time to be the most reliable indicator so it could be that. AT MOST I will give a mix I'm giving someone else a 30 minute "sit" in very hot tap water as it slowly cools off and etc. It gets the chemical reactions going without too much damage to flavor/nic etc., and that is about the most I will do.

Good luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread