Question on variable voltage MODS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLAQSUPAMAN

Feb 17, 2013
Florida
Got a quick question to shoot out to you guys been looking for a cheap reliable variable voltage mod that wont break the bank. Anyone have any ideas or input on the subject. I just dont want to put out 100+ bucks right now and I am very cheap. I know the Provarie is the best thing on the market, but like I said dont have that kind of money right now.

mikkolangot

Mar 3, 2013
Acworth
You can try a LavaTube v2 from Volcano ecigs. the device is only $79.00 and they're great mods as well. it has a 510 connector so that you can put a wide variety of tanks. Don't forget to get a charger and a battery for about $25 if you don't have one. That's my first mod after switching to Provari v2.5

Buy E-Cigarette | Safety Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarettes

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
You can only take cheap so far. There are vv box mods out there for about 30 bucks - and a lot of complaints about them breaking down in 30 days too.

I would suggest a Varicool box from SmokTek.com If you have to get batteries and a charger the total package will set you back at least 80 bucks. But it works, works very well, has a 60 day warranty and doesn't crap out. It's no frills VV - not even a display. But that also means there is less to break too. The high efficiency regulator they use means 8+ hours run time between charging.

You might get bored with it because it's nothing fancy to look at but performance-wise it won't let you down.

:2c:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Got a soldering iron and some solder (a $25.00 investment)????

I'm not cheap, but I'm broke so ....same diff! I just build these since I have electronics stuff anyway.

Variable Volt Box Mod Kit

If you're kinda handy...build one from a kit. I've been using mine for about a year now. Not flashy. Fits in shirt pocket well though. You'll also need swappable batteries (14500's ) and an external charger. But I'm NEVER without power since I have 3 sets of battery pairs in rotation.

Soldering iron...multi-use, own for life.
Battery charger...multi-use for many mods
Batteries...use and replace item (Consumable...last a long time though)
Box mod kit...get two if you can, they are cheap and you have spare parts....or at least get the $7.99 spare guts kit so you're not stuck waiting for the mailman if something breaks.

You'll need some epoxy too. Stay away from hot glue, IMO. Look up JBWeld or other epoxy.

Now, if it breaks, you can replace individual parts for a few bucks each. Will work for requirements up to 3 amps.

They are out of stock ATM :( $17.99

Yes you can get an eGo for 20 or 25 each....but you need TWO because you have to charge them (batteries don't swap). Also if the box mod reg fails, it's cheap to replace/resolder. Also, I like the box form factor better than a tube...shirt pocket friendly.

The whole guts of the thing can be replaced for $7.99 (http://www.madvapes.com/variable-voltage-regulator-board-kit-rev-4.html)
And just the regulator for $2.49 (http://www.madvapes.com/d2pak-ldo-5-volt-30-amp-regulator-with-control-pin.html)

Depends on how you want to roll. To me, I'd much rather lose/trash/drop/fix an $18.00 e-cig that works great than $200.00 model that goes byebye one day (lost, stolen, breaks, etc). To each their own.

If you're not handy or don't want to get into that...just get a couple of eGo twists. No external charger needed.

Last edited:

Forcful

Feb 18, 2013
Charlotte nc
Just got my 2 Vamo's from Vaporbreak.com. With the order I also got 2 vivi novas and 2 dual core cartos. With shipping it was 113.00 for everything. The shipping only took a week. I had no customer service and the tracking iformation they have is wonky. The batteries are kinda junk but already got 2 18650's for it. It works as good as any of the ones I have seen reviewed. Me and the wife are happy so far.

Desdenova

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2011
Ortonville, Mi.
I would like to second what Rickajho said. I have a vv varicool box from smoketek, as he/she stated it would cost you about 80 bills for the mod with batteries and charger. I have been using one since may and it rocks. I was a little skeptical of the durability at first since it is plastic, but no more. This box mod has been dropped more than I can remember and I have left it in my back pocket a few times and sat on it. Good luck in your search and if you get a vv mod, you will wonder what took you so long, the difference is that good.:headbang:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Cool. Just do your research 1st and know what you are getting into.

I don't want you to be either A) Overwhelmed by the electronics nor B) have overly-high expectations of the results. That said, I've used em for years and they are fine.

An even simpler way is to use a 5v mod and just alter the ohms. Not quite as nice or adjustable as VV, but it works. They have 5V kits too. Now-a-days it's a bit "Old School" to have regulated fixed 5V.

Even simpler is the "follow battery voltage" 3.7 volt mods. 2 wires, battery and a button.

The posters above are correct about fancier voltage regulators being more efficient. But...it's more involved and more expensive and, frankly, I haven't had the need for em yet. I get 1.5 days per charge out of my "inefficient" box now. Depends on the batteries and the ohms of the carto too. :)

There's a ton of overload info here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/
Start simple...remember K.I.S.S.

I have several 3.7 volt mods as "backup" devices. Works if you keep the ohm rating of cartos to 2.0 to 2.5 ish. Then in a pinch you can always use those devices too. (not regulated, just follows battery voltage). MV sells those kits too with a 2xAA box.

Also, you don't have to think "Either/Or" about it. It's not mutually exclusive. Example: get a Vamo and a kit for a 3.7 mod as an emergency backup if you want to hack/build e-cigs. :)

It's more about Time/Money/Handiness/Learning and customizing it for you.

Happy e-cig hacking. Remember to use protected batteries or IMR.

Last edited:

BLAQSUPAMAN

Feb 17, 2013
Florida
I was looking at reviews on the Vamo seems pretty nice i dont think it would be a problem with clunky for me becuase i carry a indulgence around right now. I am looking at the Vamo for right now and make my own mod on my free time. Just want to have the experince with use before I try to make my own and it looks like a big learning curve to understand and then build. Sometime after I might jump up to a Provari or even the Vmax just simply becuase I saw it in carbon fiber somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread