Not open for further replies.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    At about halfway or a 1/3 of the way down the new page format there’s are several I dunno maybe 10 or so posts that are locked and can’t be accessed or at last up I can’t lol!

What secrets are undercover over there? :w00t:

They're threads with similar content as the one you're posting in. It's not a useful feature since the posts are usually several years old. Classy said that this feature can't be turned off. I generally ignore it.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    At about halfway or a 1/3 of the way down the new page format there’s are several I dunno maybe 10 or so posts that are locked and can’t be accessed or at last up I can’t lol!

What secrets are undercover over there? :w00t:

Those are 'Similar threads' (as Terri noted).

And the reason many are locked...

Per Classy: "The system auto closes threads that haven't had activity for 90 days."

Re 'Similar threads':

There is an option that will make similar threads more current (and useful).

We have asked Alex to make that change. She is working from a list of to-do's, so, it might take a while.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I have not encountered that.
    At the bottom of every Thread page you will see the following called 'Similar threads'.

Screen shot 2022-09-06 at 9.08.24 AM.png

Scroll down to the bottom of any thread and you'll see them.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    There are also "similar threads" suggestions when you start a new thread. As you type the title of your OP, you get a list of similar threads pop up below your title based on the keywords you're typing. They can be ignored. Just keep typing and go about your business as usual.

The reason for this feature is to show a person similar topics that might answer their question or even reveal if a discussion thread already exists for that topic. Some forums are really bi_chy about people asking questions that have been asked already (reddit's DIY_Ejuice comes to mind :rolleyes: ) so this feature is a welcome feature for some forum owners.

Last edited:

Territoo

Diva
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    There are also "similar threads" suggestions when you start a new thread. As you type the title of your OP, you get a list of similar threads pop up below your title based on the keywords you're typing. They can be ignored. Just keep typing and go about your business as usual.

The reason for this feature is to show a person similar topics that might answer their question or even reveal if a discussion thread already exists for that topic. Some forums are really bi_chy about people asking questions that have been asked already (reddit's DIY_Ejuice comes to mind :rolleyes: ) so this feature is a welcome feature for some forum owners.

It would be more helpful, though, if the threads suggested weren't several years old and already locked. I know it's a work in progress.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It would be more helpful, though, if the threads suggested weren't several years old and already locked. I know it's a work in progress.

Yes in some situations it may not be helpful, but in some situations it can be...where a question asked is answered by info on a 7 year old thread, the age and status of the thread doesn't matter.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Here's the main problem I see with ECF as it applies to the new update's features. ECF is a relative ghost town to what it once was and the vast majority of threads and posts here these days are not really vaping related anymore. "The Outside" and the social threads get the most action anymore, where useful vaping topics are not at all or very seldomly duscussed. ECF has basically become a social site for vapers who already know everything they need to know for themselves. Very little in the way of new, contributing members. So features like "similar threads" don't help as much as they do on really active forums with constantly-posted new threads with topic-relative information. On those forums is where these types of features shine. But on a forum like ECF, meh, not as useful as it once could have been. It is what it is, I guess.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    For my own part I have found my happy vape style and therefore don't have much to add outside of that style. Personally I think in this time expanding the diy ejuice forum would bring more traffic. New vaper's seem to be more pod oriented which I know little about & therefore have little to offer. Honestly I lurk more out of habit rather an urge to post much of anything. You get fond of people and want to know how they doing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread