Status
Not open for further replies.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
true. but they do enable it.

i guess choking on 400 watts is better than blowing your face off.
Only 400? :D

HOGs.jpg

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
In my research last night, I read about a man whose mech exploded, and he had to be put in a medically-induced coma because the burns on his body were that painful. I'm going to store the mech for now as Atty Pop suggested, maybe bring it out in the future.

The real threat to the future availability of e cigarette hardware does not come from scaremongering in the community, in my view, but rather from inexperienced users who aren't scared enough. They store batteries in their pockets with their car keys, modify their devices with no real knowledge of what they are doing or how electricity works, and so on. The news then reports the incidents and makes them sound much more common than they are, but it would be better if such instances never happened in the first place. A lot of mech malfunctions have been entirely avoidable.

Thanks to all for their input on this thread. It's brought me to the decision that I need to understand more about mech safety before I risk life and limb on something that isn't necessary to me - I can just go regulated and have that peace of mind while I vape. I know it's partly an illusion, that even walking down the street or driving a car can kill you, etc. I know all of that, but vaping is a time when I want to relax, not maintain hyper-vigilance about safety, and I feel less uptight on a regulated mod.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
To each their own. :)

One thing you should still be doing, if you're not already (probably are) is having a separate ohms test for your coil builds. There are building stations that you can use and/or multi-meters. This would be up and above your mod's abilities. Some people just check with the mod but I think having a separate device is important, particularly if you need to use the mech as a backup if the main-mod fails for whatever reason.

Good luck to you Santa. I'll put out some cookies and coco for ya. (hope the reindeer are out of the flood zones there)

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
To each their own. :)

One thing you should still be doing, if you're not already (probably are) is having a separate ohms test for your coil builds. There are building stations that you can use and/or multi-meters. This would be up and above your mod's abilities. Some people just check with the mod but I think having a separate device is important, particularly if you need to use the mech as a backup if the main-mod fails for whatever reason.

Good luck to you Santa. I'll put out some cookies and coco for ya. (hope the reindeer are out of the flood zones there)

My handle on here was just a spur-of-the-moment pun about the joys of nicotine, but I rather like it. :) I have one of those ohmmeters, use it every time I do a new build. I ordinarily vape a VW regulated mod with no display, no ohmmeter, so I use an ohmmeter. I might be an idiot about mechs, but I've been building coils and dripping for a long time. It's my preferred way to vape.

I remember a few years ago, I had a question about subohming and batteries. Someone on ECF was kind enough and concerned enough to actually request that I upload a photo of my battery to make certain it was safe to use. That is exactly the kind of "scaremongering" we need here, because we're up against a political machine that could potentially cause a lot of problems for e cigarette users, and it would be far better for us if avoidable accidents never occur - not to mention far better for those who are injured by those accidents. I have also noticed a certain level of machismo among young people whenever smoking, vaping, or nicotine are in play, and that is also decidedly unhelpful to those of us who just want to quit smoking and want these products to remain accessible. Since that's related to their level of maturity, it's not going to change, so I'm all for reminding young people of risks and encouraging them to take those risks very seriously. Any notion that it is "cool" to vape a piece of straight wire off a car battery (that's hyperbole) is not very helpful, and we should encourage people to make things as safe as possible, if not just for their own health, then also for the health of the rest of us who have found a much safer way to consume nicotine. I remember when I was a kid, I started smoking for my image - to look tough or cool - and I wasn't thinking about my health or longevity at age 18. I think that was all very normal for my age, but how I wish I'd listened more attentively to older folks, even some of my more mature peers, who told me that what I was doing was stupid.

Reactions: AttyPops

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
In my research last night, I read about a man whose mech exploded, and he had to be put in a medically-induced coma because the burns on his body were that painful. I'm going to store the mech for now as Atty Pop suggested, maybe bring it out in the future.

The real threat to the future availability of e cigarette hardware does not come from scaremongering in the community, in my view, but rather from inexperienced users who aren't scared enough. They store batteries in their pockets with their car keys, modify their devices with no real knowledge of what they are doing or how electricity works, and so on. The news then reports the incidents and makes them sound much more common than they are, but it would be better if such instances never happened in the first place. A lot of mech malfunctions have been entirely avoidable.

Thanks to all for their input on this thread. It's brought me to the decision that I need to understand more about mech safety before I risk life and limb on something that isn't necessary to me - I can just go regulated and have that peace of mind while I vape. I know it's partly an illusion, that even walking down the street or driving a car can kill you, etc. I know all of that, but vaping is a time when I want to relax, not maintain hyper-vigilance about safety, and I feel less uptight on a regulated mod.
Whatever you choose to vape on is your choice to make, and yours alone so I won't argue against that. Your second paragraph is a whole other story, though...

Mechs explode, yet, despite the true fact that regulated mods explode much more often than mechs do, and despite the fact a lot of regulated mod users store batteries in their pockets with their car keys thinking the built-in safety features of their regulated mod will help to protect them against their own inexperience, the Duncan Hunter bill is going to ban any and all mech mods, but not all regulated mods. So there's your solid evidence that scaremongering is still at play, and, mech users are a minority so they are an easy target that a certain part of the rest of the vaping community can exploit, systemically conveniently, by using mech users for a scapegoat with every little chance they get. Worse, some regulated mod aposthles even go as far as to hide their own inexperience by portraying experienced mech users who go above the CDR as daredevils who could be detrimental to the future availability of e-cigarette hardware. Perhaps you can't read that between the lines, as Santa is wearing spectacles, but personally, I, can't unsee what I've been seeing.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
Whatever you choose to vape on is your choice to make, and yours alone so I won't argue against that. Your second paragraph is a whole other story, though...

Mechs explode, yet, despite the true fact that regulated mods explode much more often than mechs do, and despite the fact a lot of regulated mod users store batteries in their pockets with their car keys thinking the built-in safety features of their regulated mod will help to protect them against their own inexperience, the Duncan Hunter bill is going to ban any and all mech mods, but not all regulated mods. So there's your solid evidence that scaremongering is still at play, and, mech users are a minority so they are an easy target that a certain part of the rest of the vaping community can exploit, systemically conveniently, by using mech users for a scapegoat with every little chance they get. Worse, some regulated mod aposthles even go as far as to hide their own inexperience by portraying experienced mech users who go above the CDR as daredevils who could be detrimental to the future availability of e-cigarette hardware. Perhaps you can't read that between the lines, as Santa is wearing spectacles, but personally, I, can't unsee what I've been seeing.

I did read between the lines, now do me a favor and do not read between the lines of what I wrote. I wasn't talking about you at all, or even specifically about mechs or mech users, but rather about the fact that so-called "scaremongering" is not the problem, but rather, as you say in a fine example of people not being scared enough, "a lot of regulated mod users store batteries in their pockets with their car keys thinking the built-in safety features of their regulated mod will help to protect them against their own inexperience ...." Exactly. New users are not scared enough. Even the example I gave of "scaremongering" was not about mechs, rather about me and my own subohm regulated mod, whether the battery was safe - someone here on ECF helped me out. The other point I made was about machismo, and I apologize if you took it as a personal criticism. When I mentioned vaping straight wire off a car battery, I was actually thinking about a particular item I read last night about a guy who was subohming and blew his jaw off when his battery exploded, not about you and CDRs. Man, there are lots of accidents and dangers, and I wasn't talking about you in particular, and I agree that just about everything comes with some risk. I'm not a regulated mod apostle. I opened this thread to ask about a mech I purchased, and about open vs short circuits, and I've decided from this helpful conversation to shelve the thing for a while until I know fully what I am doing, which is quite different from hiding my inexperience with mech mods - I am rather admitting to my inexperience. I'm not looking to argue, hide my inexperience, or put anyone down, scapegoat mech users. I was simply suggesting that experienced vape users are doing the right thing when they help newer users to be safe, and I pointed out two factors that might be problematic when we discuss safety, government regulations, outright bans, etc., namely the fact that new users sometimes lack a healthy sense of caution, and some engage in risky practices because they think it's tough or cool. If you don't want to see your mech get banned (and I don't either!), why not help a few new mech users get a reasonably safe setup together? Mechs are going to be banned in some places, and anything I say that might contribute to a reduction in mech explosions might be helping you to be able to purchase a mech, no? Even if I was scapegoating mech users, do you really think it's we in the vape community who will take your mech away? Don't you have bigger fish to fry? Tobacco? Corporate news? Government regulators?

Beside my use of the word "scaremongering", which I realize you did actually introduce to the conversation, I have no clue why you think I was directing that stuff to you as a personal insult. I think I was being nice, I asked a couple of questions, I think I even "liked" one of your comments. I don't get it. In school we had debates all the time, but we never attacked each other, we challenged ideas. On the internet, it's like people are expecting that they're going to be personally attacked. How unfortunate. We call that an ad hominem argument, by the way - an argument that is directed at a person instead of an idea. It's an inferior way of arguing when you know you have no good point to argue - you level an attack against the person, such as what handle they chose when they signed up for ECF. Now that is about what you just said to me.

You said you don't feel like doing all the mental work for someone on how they should vape. Now do I really have to do all the work of helping you understand that I don't know you, I have nothing against you, I wasn't attacking you, and I don't care how you vape? I hope you can figure that out on your own, and I'll figure out vaping on my own as well.

I'm done with this conversation. :)

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I did read between the lines, now do me a favor and do not read between the lines of what I wrote. I wasn't talking about you at all, or even specifically about mechs or mech users, but rather about the fact that so-called "scaremongering" is not the problem, but rather, as you say in a fine example of people not being scared enough, "a lot of regulated mod users store batteries in their pockets with their car keys thinking the built-in safety features of their regulated mod will help to protect them against their own inexperience ...." Exactly. New users are not scared enough. Even the example I gave of "scaremongering" was not about mechs, rather about me and my own subohm regulated mod, whether the battery was safe - someone here on ECF helped me out. The other point I made was about machismo, and I apologize if you took it as a personal criticism. When I mentioned vaping straight wire off a car battery, I was actually thinking about a particular item I read last night about a guy who was subohming and blew his jaw off when his battery exploded, not about you and CDRs. Man, there are lots of accidents and dangers, and I wasn't talking about you in particular, and I agree that just about everything comes with some risk. I'm not a regulated mod apostle. I opened this thread to ask about a mech I purchased, and about open vs short circuits, and I've decided from this helpful conversation to shelve the thing for a while until I know fully what I am doing, which is quite different from hiding my inexperience with mech mods - I am rather admitting to my inexperience. I'm not looking to argue, hide my inexperience, or put anyone down, scapegoat mech users. I was simply suggesting that experienced vape users are doing the right thing when they help newer users to be safe, and I pointed out two factors that might be problematic when we discuss safety, government regulations, outright bans, etc., namely the fact that new users sometimes lack a healthy sense of caution, and some engage in risky practices because they think it's tough or cool. If you don't want to see your mech get banned (and I don't either!), why not help a few new mech users get a reasonably safe setup together? Mechs are going to be banned in some places, and anything I say that might contribute to a reduction in mech explosions might be helping you to be able to purchase a mech, no? Even if I was scapegoating mech users, do you really think it's we in the vape community who will take your mech away? Don't you have bigger fish to fry? Tobacco? Corporate news? Government regulators?

Beside my use of the word "scaremongering", which I realize you did actually introduce to the conversation, I have no clue why you think I was directing that stuff to you as a personal insult. I think I was being nice, I asked a couple of questions, I think I even "liked" one of your comments. I don't get it. In school we had debates all the time, but we never attacked each other, we challenged ideas. On the internet, it's like people are expecting that they're going to be personally attacked. How unfortunate. We call that an ad hominem argument, by the way - an argument that is directed at a person instead of an idea. It's an inferior way of arguing when you know you have no good point to argue - you level an attack against the person, such as what handle they chose when they signed up for ECF. Now that is about what you just said to me.

You said you don't feel like doing all the mental work for someone on how they should vape. Now do I really have to do all the work of helping you understand that I don't know you, I have nothing against you, I wasn't attacking you, and I don't care how you vape? I hope you can figure that out on your own, and I'll figure out vaping on my own as well.

I'm done with this conversation. :)
I thought I made it sufficiently clear I wasn't talking about your nor was aiming at you in any way. I merely presented a bit of really solid evidence to show it would be simply naive to say things like "The real threat to the future availability of e cigarette hardware does not come from scaremongering in the community, in my view, but rather from inexperienced users who aren't scared enough."

Again without pointing any fingers here, I'll just repeat that they are scared enough alright. That is, they're scared beyond s****less about being shown to public how inexperienced they TRULY are each time when they covertly try to scare other inexperienced people away from mechs, to which I'll also add that I don't see myself as an expert trying to set the rules about vaping, but instead, I wanted to show maybe it's time to blow their nice cover and watch them be all scared. :p

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Of the few direct shorts Iv had in a working atomizer, they all resulted in the wire melting and creating an open circuit before the battery let go. Iv had a few where there was just enough space to create a arc, and in these I could taste it in the vape, like a penny tastes in your mouth.
BOL.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Of the few direct shorts Iv had in a working atomizer, they all resulted in the wire melting and creating an open circuit before the battery let go. Iv had a few where there was just enough space to create a arc, and in these I could taste it in the vape, like a penny tastes in your mouth.
BOL.
Yep, the wire melts well beyond the excessive paranoid "fusing the switch". The coil will pop, saw this a couple of times back when I first started building long before I even got into Mech's.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread