Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
DaveOno I'm so glad you posted that link to the cheap multimeter! I do have an ohms tester, but it only works with ego or 510s, and none of my other adaptors seem to work. So, off to Harbor Freight to get this one at a good price! Some of my coils are suspect....

Besides, I can't even think of rebuilding without one of these toys....yet another to add to my collection (I'm running out of drawer space!)

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
DaveOno I'm so glad you posted that link to the cheap multimeter! I do have an ohms tester, but it only works with ego or 510s, and none of my other adaptors seem to work. So, off to Harbor Freight to get this one at a good price! Some of my coils are suspect....

Besides, I can't even think of rebuilding without one of these toys....yet another to add to my collection (I'm running out of drawer space!)

Amanda, it is CHEAP. not the best quality by any means, but it'll do the job for you. If you care to step up a grade, Sears Craftsman has good ones. ($25 to $50) Auto-range, where you just put it on Ohms and it gives the value, rather than the dial with multiple ohm ranges to select. But once you figure it out, it's easy. You'd only use one ohm range and one DC volt range. For $5.50, it's a great start, you can't really go wrong. (Please do not test your clothes dryer voltage or any wall socket voltage. EVER!)

I'll look at mine tonight and tell you exactly where to set it.

(Amanda, getting all tecky!!! I like it!)(and I think Evie as well!!)

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
How many more time will I advise everyone to pick up a cheap multitester

Never again soak up a coil head with valuable tasty juice just to find out it's dead. I check all my coils with the mt before they go in. It's either check them, or take a risk, or just keep using new ones. For $5.50, it'd pay for itself quick. Plus, you can check your bat voltage, and lots of other things.

Like you have a pile of AAA batteries. Which ones are near dead? Which are the strongest before you put them in some device?

Just get one.

(I wonder if always99 ever found her hubbies MT...)

View attachment 301140

Here she is. Now remember you're talking to an idiot, take it slow so I can understand. I lost the pm when I went on a deleting rampage

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
View attachment 301140

Here she is. Now remember you're talking to an idiot, take it slow so I can understand. I lost the pm when I went on a deleting rampage

First, you do this at your own risk. Do NOT use this to check wall outlet AC Voltage without training. Ever!!

Cool. Put the black lead into the COM hole, and the red into the VΏmA hole. The other hole probably says something like 10ADC. Don't use that hole. Make sure the leads are pushed all the way in!!

Turn it on. You are only going to use 2 positions on the knob for vaping. DCV at 20 and Ώ at 200.
(Ώ is omega and means ohms)

First, lets test your battery. Turn the knob to DCV 20. Don't use the DCA side! Don't use the ACV side. Ever. With one hand hold the battery, the black probe against the threads and your thumb ready to fire the button. It might be easier to put it on the table. Wish I could post a pic!!
With the other hand, just holding the red insulator, don't you touch the metal probe tip, take the tip and touch and hold it on the center post of the battery. Now push the button. You should get 3.9 to 3.7 or so. Maybe a fresh one will give 4.2 or 4.1 Volts.

Remember, if you hold the fire button for ten seconds, it will blink and stop. Just let go of the button and do it again. (This protects you if you accidentally fire it in you pocket or purse.)

Now if you had it on the wrong range, this is what happens. At the 2000 DCV, you'd get a 3 or 4. It rounds the value to 1 digit. Go ahead and try it. At the 200 setting, you get 3.8, but at the correct setting of 20, you get 3.78

If you go one more, to the 2000m setting, it will go out of range, and just give a 1 at the left of the display.

Good practice says to always use the black for the side, the threads, the negative if you are checking regular AAAs or D cells. Use the RED for the center post, the top, the +.

IF you accidentally touch the probe to both the center post and the side at once, like if you put the tip in the "moat" and hit the button, you will short circuit the battery. A Triton will blink 3 times. It has protection built in. I do NOT know if this is true for any other vaping bat from other brands. You don't ever want to intentionally short out a battery!!!

Now go ahead and check some AAA or D batteries. They will be a max of 1.6 volts. Just practice a bit with it. Black at the bottom, and red at the top center post.

You can also check car batteries, motorcycle, lawnmower, etc. Make sure the device is not running!!! These batteries are 12v, and the DCV 20 is the correct range.

Make sure you shut off the multitester when done.

Next post will check ohms... I'll make that post in a few hours...

always9988

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2013
Hicktown, OH
First, you do this at your own risk. Do NOT use this to check wall outlet AC Voltage without training. Ever!!

Cool. Put the black lead into the COM hole, and the red into the VΏmA hole. The other hole probably says something like 10ADC. Don't use that hole. Make sure the leads are pushed all the way in!!

Turn it on. You are only going to use 2 positions on the knob for vaping. DCV at 20 and Ώ at 200.
(Ώ is omega and means ohms)

First, lets test your battery. Turn the knob to DCV 20. Don't use the DCA side! Don't use the ACV side. Ever. With one hand hold the battery, the black probe against the threads and your thumb ready to fire the button. It might be easier to put it on the table. Wish I could post a pic!!
With the other hand, just holding the red insulator, don't you touch the metal probe tip, take the tip and touch and hold it on the center post of the battery. Now push the button. You should get 3.9 to 3.7 or so. Maybe a fresh one will give 4.2 or 4.1 Volts.

Remember, if you hold the fire button for ten seconds, it will blink and stop. Just let go of the button and do it again. (This protects you if you accidentally fire it in you pocket or purse.)

Now if you had it on the wrong range, this is what happens. At the 2000 DCV, you'd get a 3 or 4. It rounds the value to 1 digit. Go ahead and try it. At the 200 setting, you get 3.8, but at the correct setting of 20, you get 3.78

If you go one more, to the 2000m setting, it will go out of range, and just give a 1 at the left of the display.

Good practice says to always use the black for the side, the threads, the negative if you are checking regular AAAs or D cells. Use the RED for the center post, the top, the +.

IF you accidentally touch the probe to both the center post and the side at once, like if you put the tip in the "moat" and hit the button, you will short circuit the battery. A Triton will blink 3 times. It has protection built in. I do NOT know if this is true for any other vaping bat from other brands. You don't ever want to intentionally short out a battery!!!

Now go ahead and check some AAA or D batteries. They will be a max of 1.6 volts. Just practice a bit with it. Black at the bottom, and red at the top center post.

You can also check car batteries, motorcycle, lawnmower, etc. Make sure the device is not running!!! These batteries are 12v, and the DCV 20 is the correct range.

Make sure you shut off the multitester when done.

Next post will check ohms... I'll make that post in a few hours...

So awesome and helpful, thanks a ton Dave! I'll be checking some later, just to get ideas of what I should be doing and looking for

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
What I want to know is how did you get the Omega? My keyboard only has Roman characters, not Greek. Plus €, £, and ¥.

It's all Greek to me...

(All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Character Map) Find it, Select it, Copy it, then go to where you want it and stick it.

Instructor DaveO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread