questions about cartomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

timetoswitch

Jan 30, 2012
Upstate NY USA
Ok, I'm sure this information is probably already posted and reposted on here somewhere. I have some questions about cartomizers. I am currently a pack and a half a day smoker, and I've settled on ordering a kgo starter kit with a 6ml tank.

1. How long should I expect a cartomizer(atomizer) to last?
2.Is it cheaper to buy atomizers and cartridges or cartomizers?
3.What is the difference between ohm ratings on cartomizers?
4.Single coil, dual coil...what is the difference?
5.Can I use single coils in "dual coil" tanks? If so, why are they labeled "dual coil"?
6.Is it easy to modify regular cartomizers for tank use?
7.Can I use any cartomizers with a kgo; can certain ratings damage the PV?

I appreciate any information/clarification anyone can provide.

steliosak

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Kapandriti , Hellas
1. How long should I expect a cartomizer(atomizer) to last?
It depends on a lot of factors . The Juice (PG/VG ratio and some flavours) .
How much you vape .
I use cartos and vape about 3-4ml a day. The boge 2.0 Ohm cartos I use last me about a week.

2.Is it cheaper to buy atomizers and cartridges or cartomizers?
Can't help you here as I only use cartos and rebuild-able atomizers.

3.What is the difference between ohm ratings on cartomizers?
The resistance. The lower the resistance the more current passes thru and the more heat is produces.

4.Single coil, dual coil...what is the difference?
Its as it says single coil cartos has one one resistance coil . Dual coil cartos have two separate small resistance coils inside.

5.Can I use single coils in "dual coil" tanks? If so, why are they labeled "dual coil"?
In theory you could use any carto in a tank.

6.Is it easy to modify regular cartomizers for tank use?
Yes just punch or cut a hole (or multiple holes) as needed

7.Can I use any cartomizers with a kgo; can certain ratings damage the PV?
Yes sure . I would avoid the very low resistances however say 1.5 Ohms (I think but I am not sure the 1.7 Ohms should be OK).

elfstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2012
OH
Here's what I can answer, I hope without misguiding you.

1. Cartomizers are essentially disposable, but you could use one for at least a week, maybe 10 days, maybe more. It will live longer if you never let it dry. If it does fire when dry, it will burn the wicking material or the filler and will become useless. In time, faster with thicker juices or juices that leave residue, it gunks up and the common lore is that cleaning doesn't work to fix one anymore.

3. The ohm rating represents the resistance of the coil. There's a pretty good explanation here

5. Dual coil tanks are longer than regular tanks so a regular single coil carto is too short for them. There are, however, single coil cartos that fit a dual coil tank such as this: Crystal Clear Vaping

6. You can buy pre-punched. You can punch your own (using a dedicated device or a saddle valve tap ) or slot your own using a dremmel like this. You should buy stainless steel cartos for that, if you have black ones you have to remove the sticker and the glue.

7. Theoretically yes, but for lower mAh batteries you should use standard resistance devices only. For the kGo, as far as I understand as low as 1.7 Ohm is okay, but I never tried lower than 2.0 Ohm. Basically the lower the resistance, the higher the demand / drain on the battery and smaller batteries can't take that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread