Questions: RTA Airflow / Modding HCigar Kayfun 3.1 / Kayfun Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Hello ladies and gents, :p

My vape adventures continue. From the a cheap eGo carto system, to the nautilus mini, and now the Kayfun 3.1 hcigar & Mutation X, I am finding that I love airflow. Taking those beautiful lung inhales from my Mutation X with that light airy feel is fantastic. The flavor is good but not as intense as my Kayfun.

Anyways, I am not a fan of having to constantly drip. I'm sure I'll get used to it, as it's a familiar ritual (using a lighter before smoking), but I would love to combine the two: a tank with airflow. The HCigar 3.1 Kayfun clone is a very tight draw and even with the screw removed, it's still not ideal. I've seen the owner of Cloudworkz drill out the air intake and chambers... chamferring I believe the term is... on a legit Kayfun.

Has anyone drilled out a HCigar clone before? Can it be done without ruining it? My builds (based off Rip Trippers and others) include very little cotton, that sit flush against the wall of the posts that are just long enough to reach the base of that plate. I am tempted to try the Cloudworkz build, where you thread cotton through the coil and then upwards to the top of the chimney.

Has anyone tried this? :confused:

All input is appreciated!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Not to sure on the 3.1 but I own 4 kayfun lites and pluses and although I have opened up the main air flow, the limited factor is the center pin hole thru the post, this short hole is scetchy to make bigger because it's just about maxed already. Here again not even sure if this is the same on the 3.1 so could say for sure. I have heard of some really maxing this hole which then may be close to being a lung hitting device but by doing this, makes it really susceptible to breaking

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
Not to sure on the 3.1 but I own 4 kayfun lites and pluses and although I have opened up the main air flow, the limited factor is the center pin hole thru the post, this short hole is scetchy to make bigger because it's just about maxed already. Here again not even sure if this is the same on the 3.1 so could say for sure. I have heard of some really maxing this hole which then may be close to being a lung hitting device but by doing this, makes it really susceptible to breaking
The center pin on the KFL+ is different from the center pin on the KF3.1. I don't own a 3.1, so I can't comment beyond that, but I have drilled out both the airhole and the center pin of my KFL+V2 (Infinite clone). The stock hole in the center pin is 1/16", and you can safely drill it out to 5/64th. That doesn't sound like much, but if you do the math, it's about 50% more airflow. I've also drilled out the side airhole to 5/64th. With the airholes drilled out, it's quite possible to do lung hits comfortably, but it does require some pressure (not completely airy like some other attys). In my opinion, that was quite a worthwhile mod.

HgA1C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2009
Michigan
You need to move your coil higher. Try to have the coil over the other screw when tightening down you first leg. Then raise it so it is in the center, and the other leg is the same length. Tighten down the other leg. Then make your adjustments and make sure it does not touch the chimney (short). Enjoy much improved airflow. The guy at my local store set my first Kayfun up this way single hole stock size screw removed. It has better airflow then a EhPro two hole KFL+ built Rip Trippers style with both screws removed.

ETA
Play with the height of the coil before filling with liquid to get your preferred spacing. Mine is about 1.5-2mm above the air hole.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
The center pin on the KFL+ is different from the center pin on the KF3.1. I don't own a 3.1, so I can't comment beyond that, but I have drilled out both the airhole and the center pin of my KFL+V2 (Infinite clone). The stock hole in the center pin is 1/16", and you can safely drill it out to 5/64th. That doesn't sound like much, but if you do the math, it's about 50% more airflow. I've also drilled out the side airhole to 5/64th. With the airholes drilled out, it's quite possible to do lung hits comfortably, but it does require some pressure (not completely airy like some other attys). In my opinion, that was quite a worthwhile mod.
That's good to know, thanks. Yes I only have the lites and v-1 plus and when I look at that center hole, seems pretty darn close to the edge already.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You need to move your coil higher. Try to have the coil over the other screw when tightening down you first leg. Then raise it so it is in the center, and the other leg is the same length. Tighten down the other leg. Then make your adjustments and make sure it does not touch the chimney (short). Enjoy much improved airflow. The guy at my local store set my first Kayfun up this way single hole stock size screw removed. It has better airflow then a EhPro two hole KFL+ built Rip Trippers style with both screws removed.

ETA
Play with the height of the coil before filling with liquid to get your preferred spacing. Mine is about 1.5-2mm above the air hole.
Maybe every kayfun is different, but i have a bunch of authentics and usually like 1.2ish mm off deck, from there i have tried various higher heights and found minimal difference tbh. I suppose if one was use to a coil almost touching the deck, then moved it as high as possible, then maybe a bit of difference but would also notice a pretty good decrease in vapor production at the same time. At least that's what i noticed with mine.

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
That's good to know, thanks. Yes I only have the lites and v-1 plus and when I look at that center hole, seems pretty darn close to the edge already.

It's pretty scary, but if you take it slow, use a cobalt drill bit, and use cutting fluid, it's not hard and doesn't take long. I thought this video was pretty good, it was basically the method I used except I used masking tape instead of silicone, drilled out the side airholes in the center pin to 5/64", and didn't grind down the end of the pin (the end SHOULD be above the positive block, because that helps prevent leaking out of the airhole when you get minor flooding).

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013

ETA

OP here: This is how I've set my coils up already. The coil is just above the tops of the screws, around 2mm of space.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
It's pretty scary, but if you take it slow, use a cobalt drill bit, and use cutting fluid, it's not hard and doesn't take long. I thought this video was pretty good, it was basically the method I used except I used masking tape instead of silicone, drilled out the side airholes in the center pin to 5/64", and didn't grind down the end of the pin (the end SHOULD be above the positive block, because that helps prevent leaking out of the airhole when you get minor flooding).

Did the same except bottom center pin hole. Looking at the clone in video, it seems mine was a bigger hole to begin with compared to that. I didn't measure it but next time I will check to see if it's the same dimensions.

PapaSloth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2014
Portland, OR, USA
Did the same except bottom center pin hole. Looking at the clone in video, it seems mine was a bigger hole to begin with compared to that. I didn't measure it but next time I will check to see if it's the same dimensions.

Your airflow will be limited by whatever the narrowest part of the air path is. For example, if you attach a soda straw to the end of a garden hose, you'll get the same air resistance as you would from the soda straw by itself. Since the hole in the center pin is 1/16", that's going to be your bottleneck on airflow (your side airhole is drilled out to more than 1/16", so you're still limited to 1/16th by the hole in the center pin). Even if you drilled the side airhole out to 1/2", you'd still get the same airflow as 1/16th. That's why drilling out the center pin airhole to 5/64" helps.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
Your airflow will be limited by whatever the narrowest part of the air path is. For example, if you attach a soda straw to the end of a garden hose, you'll get the same air resistance as you would from the soda straw by itself. Since the hole in the center pin is 1/16", that's going to be your bottleneck on airflow (your side airhole is drilled out to more than 1/16", so you're still limited to 1/16th by the hole in the center pin). Even if you drilled the side airhole out to 1/2", you'd still get the same airflow as 1/16th. That's why drilling out the center pin airhole to 5/64" helps.

Man I would be scared to drill out my HCigar clone. That hole looks FRAGILE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread