Status
Not open for further replies.

smitighe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Baltimore
Does anyone know if you clean out a carto with blazing hot water and let em dry if they will develop any mold or mildew per say. I cleaned a bunch out and it's just a question I had in the back of my mind. Just figured I'd asked. I don't have any issues with just replacing them with new ones but I wanted to see if I could clean them in a way that I could get 1 or 2 more uses out of them

Unforeseen

Admin<br> Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager </br>
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Where you least expect it....
If you have any mold or mildew growing inside of them then I would suggest you throw them out LOL.

A popular way to clean cartomizers is to boil them. Just put them in a pot over the counter top. Boil them for a few minutes or until you smell e-liquid. Then empty the pot of water. Repeat the process a few times until you don't smell anything.

Now, here's the thing. The drying time can take anywhere from a couple days or a few weeks. Depending on the weather in your area. Some like to bake them in the oven but, I've never went that far.

Signs that a cartomizer is nearing the end of it's life is: tight draw, decreased flavor and performance, and in the worsts instances a burnt flavor.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
Does anyone know if you clean out a carto with blazing hot water and let em dry if they will develop any mold or mildew per say. I cleaned a bunch out and it's just a question I had in the back of my mind. Just figured I'd asked. I don't have any issues with just replacing them with new ones but I wanted to see if I could clean them in a way that I could get 1 or 2 more uses out of them

I doubt it would grow mildew, never had it happen. I guess it depends on how you dry them. I drilled holes in the top and bottom of a pill bottle, and do a tarryn (sp?) spin with a freshly washed carto upside down in that. Forces the water out to the point that I can fill them right away.

Also, about blazing hot water -- I usually clutch them in my hand as tight as possible and force water from the tap through. So, not blazing for me, but as hot as my hand can handle. That seems to actually wash them out as good as boiling, but much faster, since you can push a lot of water through.

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
That's when you connect a lanyard to it (I have about 2ft long string), and spin it to force the liquid to move. This method is sometimes used to fill cartos with juice, but with a carto upside down you can use it to force water out.

For filling cartos, you don't need holes in your pill bottle.

Taryn Spin Cartomizer Filling - YouTube

LauraBolyard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
west palm beach
I have to say, drying the quicker, the better!! I've had a mildew taste after a few days when drawing on it empty to see if dry. When I used metal ones I used to wrap them in a sock and toss in the dryer for a bit. Not too long because I don't know if the filler shrinks. I use clear cartos now and I'm afraid to use the dryer and compromise them because they are plastic. I'm at a loss, but I've defiantly tasted mildew when empty!!

beamrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2012
C-Bus
Here's how I clean mine.

To get the juice out of the carto, I use an air nozzle with a compressor. Hold the battery end of the carto with a paper towel covering it, and about 10 seconds of 130psi air thru it will get most of the juice out. Then I take a single strand of CAT5 wire, and gently run it thru the air hole a few times, to loosen up the crap. Then I use a syringe and needle, and run about 100ml of denatured alcohol thru the carto. Fill your syringe up, and just blast that carto a few times. Hit it again with the air nozzle, to get the DNA out of it, 30 seconds or so will work, because DNA evaporates quickly. Then re-open the airhole again, if necessary, with the CAT5 wire. Let it sit for a few minutes, refill, and vape. Now, I don't inhale the 1st 10 or so hits after cleaning like that, because there is usually a tiny amount of DNA residue left in there. After that tho, it's fine.

If you do try this, don't try to blow anything out of the carto by putting the air nozzle at the battery end. I did that once, and 130psi shot the entire coil/diaper/polyfill across the room....:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread