Quick question about VG / PG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I don't understand what you mean by stronger hit.
I use 50/50 in everything, it might be slightly harsher / have a slightly more pronounced throat hit than say 70%VG.

Pg carries flavor better lets throat hit come through.
Vg is smoother sweet produces cloudz & mutes flavor

To me hit strength comes from nic mg/ml & power used.
6mg at 8w - 10w isn't 'strong' but 6mg at 40w + is.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
The sensation of throat hit will go up as the percentage of PG is increased. If you want TH, try going with a 70p/30v mix. When I first started vaping it was a mix of 90/10 I found I preferred. But as I progressed, I found 70/30 to be the best mix for me. The ultra high PG content eventually became to dry for my tastes. BOL.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Throat hit can also be manipulated by the atty and the way you build. I assume you're using premade coils, but if you want a really strong hit with almost any juice then I'd advise to get an RTA that's built for it.
Not very known or popular in the US I imagine, but the Flash-e-Vapor RTAs all give a good thumb in the back of the throat, they're quite expensive as originals (that's usually a bummer for beginners) but the clones from china do a good job as well and are much cheaper (10$-20$).
The siren 2 also can deliver a good hit depending on how much the coil was raised (about 30$).

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
50%VG-50%PG at 3mg/ml has a stronger hit than 70%VG-30%PG at 3mg/ml.
But, 70%VG-30%PG at 6mg/ml is much stronger than 40%VG-60%PG at 3mg/ml.
In other words, PG tends to give a stronger throat hit(also blends better with the flavor and steeps faster) , while VG gives you bigger clouds but kind of mutes the flavor in higher %. Nic controls the overall throat hit though. Hope that makes sense.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Lots of factors go into "stronger" hit, including nic type, flavoring (there are even additives to enhance throat hit, specifically,) ramp-up setting on your mod, etc and wattage.

I will say at 50/50 I'd expect a moderately strong throat hit but my experience with PG is limited, as I am sensitive to it and can't use much at all (think, flavorings that I can't get in VG at 1 or 2%).

I'd say just wait and see how you like and adjust from there. My guess is you'll get a throat hit and if you want more, upping PG is one of the options to do so.

Anna

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
Lots of factors go into "stronger" hit, including nic type, flavoring (there are even additives to enhance throat hit, specifically,) ramp-up setting on your mod, etc and wattage.

I will say at 50/50 I'd expect a moderately strong throat hit but my experience with PG is limited, as I am sensitive to it and can't use much at all (think, flavorings that I can't get in VG at 1 or 2%).

I'd say just wait and see how you like and adjust from there. My guess is you'll get a throat hit and if you want more, upping PG is one of the options to do so.

Anna
I hear that a lot about pg sensitivity. Is there anything in particular that PG has that causes this? Would love to get some info on this.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have no clue, but it does seem to happen to some of us. Other folks are more VG sensitive. It's weird, it's not a traditional "allergy" in the sense that I won't get hives and etc., or anything like that, but my lungs did get inflamed. I got a final, "Thank you so much" pneumonia, and I didn't get it, since I had STOPPED smoking. My vaping doc helped me figure it out. I'm sure I've encountered it in inhalers and stuff, but I don't think the occasional dose is harmful, but vaping it all the time definitely was. It seemed to inflame my lungs and the back of my throat, so areas where I came in contact with it. I guess I'd have to drink some to determine if it is a true "allergy" in that sense, but believe me when I say that I won't be doing that, for a multitude of reasons including "WHY FIND OUT." LOL.

It's also not common to all vapers, so it must be a thing. When I was dual using with PG, but much less, and less often, I did cough more when I vaped, but didn't realize it was the PG. It took fully dosing myself for a few days to really get the sensitivity, but now that it's there, it's there. I can take one puff of my husband's 50/50 vape, and it's like inhaling pins and needles. It's an odd sensation, it wakes you RIGHT up. I could see taking a pull if I needed to be "sharp," although, LOL, I will probably not do that either. I'm going to hit the husband's vapes today if I can get my hands on them, to make sure he doesn't have burnt coils. When I was dual using, I sometimes did, it's amazing what you don't taste when you are dual using. I just thought my vape liquid had become more cigarette-eque.

Just one of those "things" I guess. PEG400 is a good workaround for me, even diluting my max VG with 10% distilled water, I was generating some pretty intense clouds. I haven't noticed an increased PG hit with PEG400, but I haven't really mixed it in the quantities I want in my juice yet, was still trying to determine I am not PEG400 sensitive. But, I'm fairly certain I'm not, so all my new mixes (scheduled for today, but I may have to move them to tomorrow) will have some PEG400 in it..

Anna

Reactions: Letitia

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I read somewhere that about 1 in 10 humans has a sensitivity (not allergy) to pg but I can't seem to find it quickly in the unorganized mess that is my bookmarks after 4 years of collecting them :oops:

I don't get along with high pg very well, it seems to worsen my skin and I'm very sensitive to the taste, to me it tastes like face powder and starts to cover up other tastes if I use more than 40% pg.

Edit:
found it :w00t:
PG Sensitivity

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
I have no clue, but it does seem to happen to some of us. Other folks are more VG sensitive. It's weird, it's not a traditional "allergy" in the sense that I won't get hives and etc., or anything like that, but my lungs did get inflamed. I got a final, "Thank you so much" pneumonia, and I didn't get it, since I had STOPPED smoking. My vaping doc helped me figure it out. I'm sure I've encountered it in inhalers and stuff, but I don't think the occasional dose is harmful, but vaping it all the time definitely was. It seemed to inflame my lungs and the back of my throat, so areas where I came in contact with it. I guess I'd have to drink some to determine if it is a true "allergy" in that sense, but believe me when I say that I won't be doing that, for a multitude of reasons including "WHY FIND OUT." LOL.

It's also not common to all vapers, so it must be a thing. When I was dual using with PG, but much less, and less often, I did cough more when I vaped, but didn't realize it was the PG. It took fully dosing myself for a few days to really get the sensitivity, but now that it's there, it's there. I can take one puff of my husband's 50/50 vape, and it's like inhaling pins and needles. It's an odd sensation, it wakes you RIGHT up. I could see taking a pull if I needed to be "sharp," although, LOL, I will probably not do that either. I'm going to hit the husband's vapes today if I can get my hands on them, to make sure he doesn't have burnt coils. When I was dual using, I sometimes did, it's amazing what you don't taste when you are dual using. I just thought my vape liquid had become more cigarette-eque.

Just one of those "things" I guess. PEG400 is a good workaround for me, even diluting my max VG with 10% distilled water, I was generating some pretty intense clouds. I haven't noticed an increased PG hit with PEG400, but I haven't really mixed it in the quantities I want in my juice yet, was still trying to determine I am not PEG400 sensitive. But, I'm fairly certain I'm not, so all my new mixes (scheduled for today, but I may have to move them to tomorrow) will have some PEG400 in it..

Anna
I see. Sounds familiar. There are some VG flavors out there, why don't you take a look if you haven't already? :)

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have plenty of VG flavors. There are a few I like that I can't get in VG, so I just use them sparingly. 5% seems to be my "tolerable" level, thus far. I don't "feel" any damage or have any concerns using them at the percentage I do. It's a sensitivity, not a true allergy where things have to be avoided forever like peanuts. If I keep my percentage low, I am fine. I'd imagine everyone who is PG sensitive has their own threshold, depending on what their body likes. I have been vaping DIY for over 6 months, I know what is manageable and what is not. Thanks for the advice, however.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread