Quick question for tanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roneraven

May 30, 2021
What does everyone use as far as vg/pg ratio for tanks? Mixed up a 70/30 and still seems a little thick.

I’ve never had good luck with tanks and this tfv9 smok tank is the first one I have ever used that I don’t have to massively inhale to get anything from it. I’ve always been a dripper guy using only vg lol.

Roneraven

May 30, 2021
I use 70pg/30VG in everything but I started vaping before the days of high vg. I understand 50/50 is pretty popular. Are you having a wicking issue?
Only on some Swedish fish I mixed up the other day by wayne(diyordie). But it had me curious what everyone else uses since this is the first tank that feels good to me.

edit: oh wow I just noticed 70pg! I’ve been trying 60vg for the moment on a few but they need a week to steep sadly. Looks like I might have to get out of my old school vg mindset lol

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I have mixes that I do at 50/50, 60VG/40PG, 70VG/30PG and 80VG/20PG.

However with the increases in the cost of PG over the last year (thanks Covid) I've been mixing most at 70VG and some at 80VG. Once the global demand for PG slows down, and hopefully, PG returns to decent prices I'll go back to mixing as I used to.

I have no issues with 70VG, or 80VG, in any of my RTA's.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
30 PG / 70 VG is a pretty common target. I prefer about 50 - 60 VG, mostly because I have a sensitivity to VG that kicks in if it gets too high.

Higher VG juices are a bit thick, but most modern coils are designed to take that into account. Additionally, once you start vaping the tank warms up and the VG thins out a lot.

PG/VG ratios are like a lot of other things in vaping - the right ratio is the one that works best for you.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I normally use 30PG 70VG, although I will up the VG now and then.
This works on all my devices, Drag and Vinci pods, even the little Vmate, On my DNA 75 and 200 using Solomon 2 RTA's, Arbiter RTA, Diesel RTA's, Kyline Mesh RTA's Juggerknot's, TFV8-X's in sub-ohm coil or rba coil, even my old Kangertecg tanks and all my RBA's like wasp nano and VLS. Use to use the same with everything in the last 8 plus years. Carto's, clearlo's...

A well and properly satuated device will have no issues using higher VG mixes. Some people want to add a drop or so of water to thin the VG, however, once you apply the heat from a firing coil, the VG is as thin as the PG.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I prefer mix for direct lung 80vg 20pg but if it's winter I might do it 70vg 30pg cause it annoys me a little when it's cold and the juice gets thick and takes lot of time to pour into the tanks lol

For mouth to lung I usually mix 60vg/50pg juices

If we talk about tanks with disposable coils usually a mouth to lung won't work good or maybe have less life if its used with 70vg juices or higher but for direct lung 70vg or more will work fine and sometimes it's nessesary to avoid leaks ...but in the end it comes down to where you live....if it's hot climate or cold and the specific coil cause manufacturer have different approach so I try see what works best and adapt to the higher VG I can use cause pg makes my mouth more dry and I try avoid it
With rebuildables u can use anything u want ofc :p

Last edited:

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Using the standard .15 tfv9 coils at 70watts
    That tank is also compatible with TFV8 Baby Beast coils, which would also make a plethora of other coils available for use as well if you're interested in trying out others.
    Compatible coils that are applicable to the TFV9:
    Coil_Compatibility2_1024x1024.png

(I don't know why some of those are on there twice, but w/e)
    Personally, I do not own a Smok tank, so I have no basis for judgment on how it compares. I do however have the Valyrian II and Falcon King which have often been compared to Smok's subohm performance. If you're looking for tanks that are tried and tested true for long lasting coils, the newer GeekVape Zeus Subohm (Z-series coils) and the Freemax Fireluke 3/Maxluke (904L X or M series coils) both have extremely good flavor/clouds and long lasting coils (3+ weeks reported by many). Both also blow the Valyrian II and Falcon King out of the water (imo) and have recently been seen on sale for around $15-20ish, iirc. I vape at 70/30 VG/PG and have had zero issues with wicking or performance from either. The Zeus draw is a bit cooler, and the Fireluke 3 is a tad bit warmer if you decide to go that route.

A variety of TFV8 Baby Beast coils if you're looking to try something other than 0.15 coils, but sticking with Smok.
    upload_2021-6-14_1-41-3.png

I apologize that this went a bit off topic, but I believe coil resistance and wattage plays a big part in preferred performance.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Roneraven

Roneraven

May 30, 2021
    That tank is also compatible with TFV8 Baby Beast coils, which would also make a plethora of other coils available for use as well if you're interested in trying out others.
    View attachment 945621
    Personally, I do not own a Smok tank, so I have no basis for judgment on how it compares. I do however have the Valyrian II and Falcon King which have often been compared to Smok's subohm performance. If you're looking for tanks that are tried and tested true for long lasting coils, the newer GeekVape Zeus Subohm (Z-series coils) and the Freemax Fireluke 3/Maxluke (904L X or M series coils) both have extremely good flavor/clouds and long lasting coils (3+ weeks reported by many). Both also blow the Valyrian II and Falcon King out of the water (imo) and have recently been seen on sale for around $15-20ish, iirc. I vape at 70/30 VG/PG and have had zero issues with wicking or performance from either. The Zeus draw is a bit cooler, and the Fireluke 3 is a tad bit warmer if you decide to go that route.
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up Z!!!

Reactions: Z-Lee

Roneraven

May 30, 2021
    View attachment 945621

A variety of TFV8 Baby Beast coils if you're looking to try something other than 0.15 coils, but sticking with Smok.
    View attachment 945623

I apologize that this went a bit off topic, but I believe coil resistance and wattage plays a big part in preferred performance.
    Ended up ordering the freemax tank and some of the .2 dual coils since they have that giant open hole on 2 sides for wicking lmao. Assuming there wouldn’t be a wicking issue with that opening lol. Thanx again for that heads up Z. This smok tank was really awesome at first but after reading some of the reviews a lot of the tfv9 coils seem to be faulty, would hate to buy a 5 pack and only get like 2 working coils out of it, that would piss me off lmao. Between that and the wicking issue I seem to be having here and there figured I would try something better lol Thanks again Z

Reactions: Z-Lee

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Ended up ordering the freemax tank and some of the .2 dual coils since they have that giant open hole on 2 sides for wicking lmao. Assuming there wouldn’t be a wicking issue with that opening lol. Thanx again for that heads up Z. This smok tank was really awesome at first but after reading some of the reviews a lot of the tfv9 coils seem to be faulty, would hate to buy a 5 pack and only get like 2 working coils out of it, that would piss me off lmao. Between that and the wicking issue I seem to be having here and there figured I would try something better lol Thanks again Z
    You won't be disappointed. I'm in love with my Freemax Fireluke 3. I have an older M Pro that's also been through the ringer - the coils last forever.

Which one did you end up purchasing?

Roneraven

May 30, 2021
    You won't be disappointed. I'm in love with my Freemax Fireluke 3. I have an older M Pro that's also been through the ringer - the coils last forever.

I went with black metal. Took me a bit to find it since it was mostly sold out. Found one that was $18.99 but they won’t ship here(something about they don’t have a license yet) so I used ecig mafia and it cost $24 and change. Then I ordered a 5 pack of the dual coils with that wide open hole on 2 sides(figured that shouldn’t have a problem wicking haha) for $19 which was high but whatever lol

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    What does everyone use as far as vg/pg ratio for tanks? Mixed up a 70/30 and still seems a little thick.

I’ve never had good luck with tanks and this tfv9 smok tank is the first one I have ever used that I don’t have to massively inhale to get anything from it. I’ve always been a dripper guy using only vg lol.

that tank should handle higher VG without issues but might not do so well with high PG. If I were you I'd stay in the realm of 40/60 (PG/VG) and above for that tank (30PG/70VG, 20PG/80VG)

I myself use higher VG, but I have issues with PG so it's more of a necessity.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain

the M-Pro is my son's favorite, but it's easier to find coils when sourcing locally for the Smok tf tanks so he uses both..

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    I went with black metal. Took me a bit to find it since it was mostly sold out. Found one that was $18.99 but they won’t ship here(something about they don’t have a license yet) so I used ecig mafia and it cost $24 and change. Then I ordered a 5 pack of the dual coils with that wide open hole on 2 sides(figured that shouldn’t have a problem wicking haha) for $19 which was high but whatever lol
    Very nice. I have this exact one being canoed or pigeoned over from China right now. The plane took off on the 30th of May and is apparently still in flight. Those mid-air refuels must be costly.

That's a really high price for coils, did you get the M series or the X series 904L's?

Reactions: Roneraven
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread