Status
Not open for further replies.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
What are you going to use to make the holes, a paper punch?
A paper punch will be way too large. I need to figure out how to make these holes... I was thinking of trying one of those belt hole punches??? I thought I had one but can't find it yet. It has several different sizes and should work.

Reactions: zoiDman

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    A paper punch will be way too large. I need to figure out how to make these holes... I was thinking of trying one of those belt hole punches??? I thought I had one but can't find it yet. It has several different sizes and should work.

They make paper punches that make smaller holes than the average paper punch. They might be called something else. I don't know if you'd find something like that at the dollar store. Would likely be too expensive at an office supply store or craft store.

But I wonder if a paper punch would work anyhow. Might damage the mesh in the process. Not sure.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you have of an old MTL clearomizer, with a metal chimney, the chimney might work as a punch. Should be small enough.

ETA: The Aspire ET and Mini Vivi Nova chimney is 4.45mm outer diameter with a 3.85mm inner diameter. That's a 0.3mm thickness. If that's too thick to get a nice clean punch, slightly filing down the edge at an angle should so the trick and make for a decent punch.

Evods have a slightly wider chimney but very close.

Last edited:

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    North-Central PA (flyover country)
    That picture shows a Mesh with 9 Rows of Holes. And 10 Rows of Metal between the Hole Rows.

If you remove 1 Row of Metal, then it would be Interesting to see if the Resistance Increased 1/10th of the Resistance of the Mesh before you cut anything?

Resistance is inversely related to the cross sectional area of the wire. If you reduce the cross section by half, the resistance doubles. If you start with 10 wires in your mesh strip, measure the resistance of it, you can do the math to get to the number of wires you want.

In zoidman's example, removing one wire would increase the resistance by a factor of 10/9 or 1.11 or 11%.

Removing 5 wires would increase the resistance by a factor of 10/5 or 2.0 and double the resistance.

zoidman, your instincts were right. Punching holes in it would surely cause hot spots.

Round wire isn't as easy. Doubling the diameter reduces the resistance by a factor of four.

• Agree
    Reactions: Izan

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Think of mesh like a simple wire from one end to the other straight......cutting it will be like making it thinner so the ressistance will go high and I guess to get the highest resistance without losing much surface area u would need to cut it like this...lol
    DZ5XqMzX0AEigef~2.jpg

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Resistance is inversely related to the cross sectional area of the wire. If you reduce the cross section by half, the resistance doubles. If you start with 10 wires in your mesh strip, measure the resistance of it, you can do the math to get to the number of wires you want.

In zoidman's example, removing one wire would increase the resistance by a factor of 10/9 or 1.11 or 11%.

Removing 5 wires would increase the resistance by a factor of 10/5 or 2.0 and double the resistance.

zoidman, your instincts were right. Punching holes in it would surely cause hot spots.

Round wire isn't as easy. Doubling the diameter reduces the resistance by a factor of four.

Ahhh, Bach!

It took a few days, but eventually I was able to visualize a multi-core coil and, as individual wires/cores are removed, the resistance will obviously increase. :facepalm:

Hat tip to @ricks for the mental exercise and a new way to approach mesh coils.

Cheers
    I

Reactions: zoiDman

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    Think of mesh like a simple wire from one end to the other straight......cutting it will be like making it thinner so the ressistance will go high and I guess to get the highest resistance without losing much surface area u would need to cut it like this...lol
    View attachment 937811
    I am going to try this... Looks easier then punching holes!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread