Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Just wanted to share that the TH on my vape was very harsh this morning.

Upon removing the top of the RBA I observed that the coil had risen a couple of mm!

Not sure how this phenomenon occurs but I checked another nearly identical setup and it had risen overnight like 3mm.

So I pushed em back down to about 1 mm above the deck and the TH is back to minimal, the way I like it.

So it's either:

1. My kids (they're all under 12) got into my gear and raised the coils.

2. My wife who knows nothing about vaping got into my gear and raised my coils.

3. Some freak broke in last night and raised my coils and didn't touch anything else.

4. It's a naturally occurring incident.

My money's on #4 so just wanted to throw it out there to watch your coils :)

Mine are both 29 ga Kanthal A1 micro coils with very short rolled cotton wicks like this:

9kBOpiI.jpg

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
I have noticed this too SXD.
On of my kayfuns did this. I used twisted 30ga to wrap the coil and it is always lower to the deck than when I wick it.
Not a lot, but maybe moves from 1.5mm-2mm down to about 1 mm.
On some of my rdas, I have noticed it as well.
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with thinner gauge wire. Possibly the coil being under tension while attaching the post screws.
Not sure.
But there could be some memory left in the kanthal and it is returning to it's home position, if that makes any sense.
It's like cold setting steel. It'll hold it's shape, then return back over time. I deal with this in bikes all the time. Bicycles, that is.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I built a side by side microcoil in my protank and vaped nicely on it for a few days with great results, woke up one morning and had the most unexpected nastiest metallic vape one could have. After my coughing and gagging spree I opened er up and found both coils were against each other like fighting for center spot..little DIY and seperated them, now I take smaller recon hits before I take a vape. Yes the coil does move around and I'm not going to take a ugly hit like that again. ;)

timk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Yakima, WA, USA
I've also noticed this. I like my coil low as well. The twisted 28 I've been diggin seems to be the worst at raising itself.

The other issue is my screws backing out of my cyclone and giving me a mediocre vape. Grrrr didn't notice right away and thought I was having battery issues. I replaced the stock screws with Phillips head screws because I lose things like hex keys lol. Wondering if the hex screws do better at that job?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I've also noticed this. I like my coil low as well. The twisted 28 I've been diggin seems to be the worst at raising itself.

The other issue is my screws backing out of my cyclone and giving me a mediocre vape. Grrrr didn't notice right away and thought I was having battery issues. I replaced the stock screws with Phillips head screws because I lose things like hex keys lol. Wondering if the hex screws do better at that job?

I don't know. I despise those hex screws :). I replaced all mine with Phillips :)

The screws don't auto loosen as easy with 29 ga :)

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Have you ever noticed when you torch a length of wire to anneal it, sometimes it will curl a little? This is just residual stress in the grain structure relieving itself, so in way you could call it "memory". Did you torch the coil legs to anneal them? The coil wraps get annealed when you dry fire it for the first time, but the legs don't get hot enough (luckily, as we know this is bad). So the stress relief happens over an extended time period. I could see the coil raising itself again if you simply bend it back to where it should be because this adds more residual stress. I've also seen that you guys are winding your coils directly off the spool recently and using tension alone to keep the wraps tight and in place. Not sure if you are also taking an annealing step. I'm still winding coils by hand like a noob, but I always anneal the entire segment of wire and have never noticed a coil moving around after it has been mounted.

At any rate... interesting topic :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Long tome no see. Tried any AO (white wicks) on the REO yet?
actually I have. for the most part though I haven't really vaped much ceramic but did try a piece of ao that gdeal had sent me some time back. I guess I had been vaping micros and hemp for quite a while the ceramic seemed a bit light on TH. the flavor, as you know is freaking awesome but just didn't have the kick. anyways I still have one genny still set up with a ceramic wick and vape it a little, but for the most part I vape my reo/ aqua/ kayfuns with hemp fibers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread