Raw nicotine, pure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lubo

Apr 17, 2012
Scotland
I have 99.5% pure nicotine and would like to by how much I should dilute it. Could I dilute 10ml with a 90ml of a PG and VG mix, would this then give me 100ml of 100mg strength nicotine that I could reduce the strength of further to 18mg or 24mg strength etc?

[ADMIN EDIT]

Do not attempt to do anything with it. Pure nicotine is extremely toxic and should not be handled by anyone without professional expertise.

Please dispose of the nicotine by taking it to your local pharmacist.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Pure nicotine
Pure nicotine, of 99% purity, should not be purchased or used under any circumstances, except by licensed laboratories with a fume cabinet and hazmat facilities. It is a highly dangerous poison in this form, and a small spillage on the skin is likely to be lethal.

Nicotine was used as an insecticide, and when used to fumigate a greenhouse for example it will kill anything living - including any humans unfortunate enough to be inside. 99% nicotine has a strength of 990mg, or 990mg/ml, and is almost ten times stronger than 100mg, normally the strongest eliquid base sold for mixing, which itself is dangerous enough.

It is as dangerous as pure potassium cyanide.

Note that pure nicotine is far more dangerous than high-strength e-liquid because it will be rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream if there is a spill on the skin. This is not normally the case with e-liquid because the nicotine seems to be bound or 'locked' by PG and/or VG, and there appears to be a time window in which the liquid may be rinsed off. This will not be the case with pure nicotine.

Simply opening a bottle of it can result in a room filling with toxic fumes - it should only be handled in a fume cabinet. If you don't have a fume cabinet then DON'T BUY IT.

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Lubo,

Hello and welcome.

If you have to ask this question, I am quite certain you should not be handling what you have. My suggestion is to keep the container sealed and in a very safe place until you can dispose of it properly, lawfully, safely and as quickly as possible.

My intention is not to be rude. I'm simply trying to bring to your attention exactly how easy it is to mishandle, how dangerous this can be if mishandled and why (unless you have access to trained people in a lab) you should re-read paragraph the paragraph above and follow it closely.

Stay safe!

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I have 99.5% pure nicotine and would like to by how much I should dilute it. Could I dilute 10ml with a 90ml of a PG and VG mix, would this then give me 100ml of 100mg strength nicotine that I could reduce the strength of further to 18mg or 24mg strength etc?

I have a ph.d. In cellular and molecular biology and have worked in labs with dangerous chemicals for 15+ years. I feel relatively comfortable working with hazardous materials, BUT I would NOT work with pure nicotine without a fume hood and proper protective gear IN a laboratory setting.

Also, there is only one company I have heard of that sells pure nicotine directly to consumers, and from what I have read they are extremely unreliable as far as quality control of products the ship out. I don't know where you got the nicotine, but if it's from them I wouldn't vape it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread