RBA newbie Kanger Mini Top Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
The ebay guy has the stainless tanks back in stock....Currently listed at $19.88
Thanks. I got to tell you I realized I have an extra tank so I am glad he was out of the silver last time. I bought the top tank kit and then I purchased the subvod - which came with a top tank so I have 2 top tanks. I realized this because I was going through my vape bin to give some of my old stuff to someone that wants to start vaping and I realized I have a brand new top tank.

Meantime I assembled my own coil kit in a cool box I have with --wire cutters, coilers, some pre-made coils, ohm reader, baby screwdrivers, cotton, rba bases, ceramic tweezers so I think I am just about ready to go. Going to try the pre-mades Saturday and just waiting for the wire I ordered.

Last edited:

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
26 awg is alright and workable but I prefer the 24 guage.

You indicated that you like .5 ohm around 20-22 W for vaping. The wire is thicker and stiffer so it holds up longer for me and is easy to burn off and rewick without messing up the coil.

24 AWG Kanthal A1 2.5 mm core gets right to 4.8 to.5 ohms and your stated preferred wattage range with 6 wraps and vapes around 20+ watts.

26 AWG Kanthal A1 2.5 mm core gets to .5 ohm at 4 wraps. But the vape range isn't anywhere near 20 watts more like 10 to 12 W.

The deck on the RBA is small but 6 wraps will fit in it. 3 mm core is too large for the deck and will spit juice or that is my experience. 2.5 mm core is what Kanger ships it with and seems to work best. Some claim that 2 mm is better because the flavor is stronger, I tried that but too hard to wick and didn't notice any real flavor improvement.

I have used both and both work fine. Wire is cheap, try both see which you like best. Around $5 for 100 feet, enough to make a couple hundred coils.
I've been using the 24 with 6 wraps with a 2.5 core but am coming in .41. Flavor is great but it is a little lower than what I want. I am counting each full wrap as 1 each and the 2 on each end as 1 together.

Is that right?

I'd like to get the resistance in the .5 to .67 range if possible.

Any more advice?

Reactions: stols001

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    For me, I like 26ga, ramps up/cools off quicker.
    2.5-3mm, 7 wraps...around .8ohm

7 wraps of 24ga should get you close to .6ohm
    upload_2018-3-1_18-46-10.png

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    I've been using the 24 with 6 wraps with a 2.5 core but am coming in .41. Flavor is great but it is a little lower than what I want. I am counting each full wrap as 1 each and the 2 on each end as 1 together.

Is that right?

I'd like to get the resistance in the .5 to .67 range if possible.

Any more advice?

Count the top wraps. Coil legs down, number of wraps showing on top. I just made a Kanthal 24 AWG 6 wraps. Here are photos. Hope they show what you are looking for. I don't really use Kanthal any more, I just made this to show the wraps.

IMG_1447.jpg

Fuzzy sorry but you can see 6 wraps with legs down.
    IMG_1441.jpg

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Count the top wraps. Coil legs down, number of wraps showing on top. I just made a Kanthal 24 AWG 6 wraps. Here are photos. Hope they show what you are looking for. I don't really use Kanthal any more, I just made this to show the wraps.

IMG_1447.jpg

Fuzzy sorry but you can see 6 wraps with legs down.
    IMG_1441.jpg
    Thanks. Pic helps a lot. I will try again. I think I need one more wrap. Just lost one of the chimney screws.....on the extra so I will wait till the other one needs a change.

Reactions: stols001

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    OK I just tried again - 6 wraps and it is coming in .41 - I counted from the top. I have 2 rba's - authentic Kanger and not authentic. I was using the non because it has the larger air holes. The premade coil it came with was fine.

Now I took the coil I made and tried it in both and on the kanger and it is at .41. *&&*****

So I tried again and I got it at .55 to me it is 7 wraps if I count from the top but 5 plus the 2 1/2 ends is 6?. I should take it off and try on the non-authentic but I am not. It's perfect - great taste - not leaking -- fingers crossed!

I'm thrilled I got one and will keep trying. I did space this one a bit....if that makes a difference.

Another one came out at .67 which I really like so I will keep practicing.

Thanks for all the help

Last edited:

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    These are the authentic RBA at fasttech. But it is a crap shoot on the hole size. Out of the 8 that I ordered a few months back. 3 had the large hole and 5 were the small hole. You will probably get small hole if ordered.

$5.30 Authentic KangerTech SUBTANK Mini RBA Plus Coil Head - stainless steel at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

This glass will also fit the tanktop and give more juice capacity and a different look as it is bubble glass. Definitely easier to remove than the straight glass for cleaning

$1.73 Iwodevape Replacement Glass Tank for Aspire Cleito Clearomizer - authentic / 5ml at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    I had to look this up and glad I found it. I am going to order the 5ml replacement - 4 is just not cutting it --I am like constantly refilling. Thanks for the links.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread