Rba/rda advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Towmotor

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2014
Welland
If you like the Nautilus you will probably enjoy a Kayfun. They are easy to build, so good for a beginner. Do some research here and look at some videos on YouTube, RipTripper shows 2 very easy builds in one video.
Before you start building coils read up on battery safety and Ohms law ( check out blogs by Baditude on ECF) and get yourself an ohms meter for testing your build before use.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
provari_white.jpg mini_kayfun.jpg microcoil2.jpg microcoil3.jpg

What So Great About a Kayfun?

Information Resources for Your First RBA

Explain it for a Dumb Noob; Ohms Law Calculations

Tools & Supplies for Coil Building

Last edited:

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Been smoke free for almost a year. Have a provari with natilus mini and a couple protank 2's. I hear so much about kayfun and am thinking about trying to do that and build my own coils. It's all kind of confusing and I don't know where to start. advice? I don't even know what to buy.

If you're interested, I say go for it. It's not that hard, and I personally find it fun.

I got my first RBA (ReBuildable Atomizer) a few weeks ago, and it's gone great. I got EhPro's clone of the Kayfun Lite Plus, v1 (v2 is more common now, and just as good, if not better. It has an extra airhole), and it's treated me very well. In addition to the RBA (also called an RTA, Rebuildable Tank Atomizer), you'll want some resistance wire, and I would recommend 28 gauge Kanthal A1. In addition, you'll need something to wick. Organic cotton balls work, as does more expensive Japanese cotton. I use Rayon, or Cellucotton, from Sally's. You'll need something to measure the resistance of your build, and your Provari should work if you're keeping the resistance above 1 ohm.

An RDA is a Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer. They normally don't have any tank, have fewer parts, and easily-accessible build decks. They're also fun, but good for "around the house" use because you do need to drip liquid onto the wicks and coils regularly (not after each hit, but after a bit). In some respects, they're a bit more forgiving than an RTA, since your wicks just need to hold liquid, not draw it from the tank, to the coils. If you do get an RDA and plan on using dual coils, you might also want 30ga Kanthal. This will heat up more quickly, if your device is limited to 15 watts.

As stated, look on Youtube for videos of people rebuilding a RBA or RDA to see what you're in for. Kayfun is a popular RBA, and TOBH is a popular RDA, if specifics help you find videos.

Pocha

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Rebuilding on Protanks and other clearos just looks like a PIA to me so I never went there. I had never built a coil before I got my KFL and it's really not that hard at all. I'd definitely say the wicking is a bit more "difficult"...perhaps finicky is a better word. I just got my first dripper so we'll see how that goes. If I can figure it out, anybody can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread