Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Last night was the first time I really vaped on my first rba. After I built and tested it out and all was good, I used it for the rest of the night. This morning, I wake up with a bit of a sore throat.. it kinda hurts to swallow. That.. dangly thing in my throat is slightly swollen. Just curious if it might be because I'm getting sick or is this a result of using a different delivery system? I mean, I felt fine yesterday. I don't really feel sick besides my throat kinda hurting. Do you think its because of the rba? I'm using the same juices I always have at the same nicotine level I'm used to and I am not a heavy vaper... well.. compared to people on this site, I do not think I am (avg 2-3 ml a day if not less).

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Can you become allergic to something that you weren't allergic to before? Never had a problem with PG liquids. The coil I built is also around the same resistance as the other stuff I use so its not that hot. I drink plenty of water all the time. Still.. I dunno.. I could be getting sick but I don't feel bad at all except the throat.

justinonymous

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2010
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sorry to steal the limelight, but I have the same problem and refused to believe it was because of vaping. I'm pretty much using the same juice all the time and USUALLY running a 6 wrap 3/32 ID with 26g Kanthal A-1. Although I'm pretty sick with a fever, I need to make sure if this is vape related. This happened once before and I had the same kind of sickness. Not too sure if I was running the same build (same juice though) but I might have been. This kinda sucks :glare:

Cr0tchF4i

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
San Diego, CA
Last night was the first time I really vaped on my first RBA. After I built and tested it out and all was good, I used it for the rest of the night. This morning, I wake up with a bit of a sore throat.. it kinda hurts to swallow. That.. dangly thing in my throat is slightly swollen. Just curious if it might be because I'm getting sick or is this a result of using a different delivery system? I mean, I felt fine yesterday. I don't really feel sick besides my throat kinda hurting. Do you think its because of the RBA? I'm using the same juices I always have at the same nicotine level I'm used to and I am not a heavy vaper... well.. compared to people on this site, I do not think I am (avg 2-3 ml a day if not less).

This happened to me with my trial pack from Halo. The Shamrock juice ruined my tonsils. VERY swollen and made it hard to swallow. Are you using a different type of juice than normal? The halo was 50/50 I believe but one of the ingredients got me- i have ZERO allergies that i'm aware of also. I use 100%vg now on a RDA and have no issues.

(the Shamrock was on a RSST, not an RDA)

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
Yes, you can develop an allergy over night. Doesn't mean that is the problem, but a sudden new allergy is possible.

Try different juices and see if you have a similar issue. Then try a different 'mizer. Essentially ... try and eliminate potential causes.

Also, depending where you live ... the weather is changing which can cause added stress and irritation to pathways.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I'm using 3mm silica wick and about a 4/3 wrap of 32 gauge kanthal. This is day 3 of my sore throat, I'm still not sick so I can rule that out. I have never been allergic to PG before, just seems very coincidental that I might develop an allergy overnight after using my RBA. But I guess anything is possible? I vaped a bit last night but not a lot since I was worried about my throat. And I was using the same liquid in my iClear 16 before and there was never an issue with my throat when I used that. The RBA doesn't feel that much hotter than my other delivery methods, I even use my tongue as a buffer when I pull the vape into my mouth to maybe cool it or feel how hot it is before I inhale it. I'm not sure what I hope this actually is... I mean I hope I'm not getting some kind of throat infection or sick.. but I also hope I'm not getting allergic to PG? I am not allergic to anything as far as I'm aware of.

ROCKERDAVE86

Jun 26, 2013
Chicago
I recently got an rba too, a russian 91. I use an 80/20 18 mg juice from mt baker.
I switched over from a protank 2...the juice is really amplified and a little harsh. I heard that a lot of people use 0 mg or a low nic level when vaping with an rba. also...what sized wick and coil should I use to get the best vapor and flavor while getting the coolest hit?

Hectus

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
europe
i had the same sympthomes, but didnt understand what it was until i discovered i got allergic to pg. its not that uncommon and yes it happens litterarly overnight, or within a couple of days. Im not allergic to anything else either and it was just like BAM, it hit me outa blue sky.

Its no biggie other than u gotta start vaping 100% vg.

That being said, it might be other reasons that makes ur problems, but to me it sounds very much like pg allergy

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
When you got your rba, did you clean it out really good?
There are usually machining oils left behind from the manufacturing process that really need to be cleaned out.
I use hot tap water and dish soap and scrub the heck out of it with a toothbrush.

Also, are you torching your silica wick material before you cut and use it?

Also, what are you using to cut the silica?
You really want to use something that makes a clean sharp cut.
I used a pair of cutters that would kind of smash the wick, creating fine particles of silica.
Not sure about you, but I wouldn't want that getting in my throat.
I bought a nice pair of shears that makes nice clean cuts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Ok well my sore throat is kinda going away so I guess I can rule out the PG/RBA. Must be some kinda bug going around here. Phew.... I'm glad its not a PG allergy because I still have tons of juice that is 70/30 or 50/50 mix that I do not want to get rid of. I've had hot/dry/scratchy hits scorch my throat before but that was definitely not it. I mean, it wouldn't give me a sore throat for 3 days even if I did take a bunch of dry hits back to back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread