rc car batteries??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmaaark

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
rancho cucamonga, ca
me and a friend of mine were having a discussion about batteries the other day because he asked me what batteries im using (sony vtc4) and then we started talking about rc cars (another hobby of ours) and we started thinking...would we be able to use rc car batteries for mods? im no battery expert but just a quick look up of some of these batteries i saw some that were like 8.4v 4500 mah etc (but they were in battery packs, i dont know if that was for a single battery or not). i doubt they have them in a 18650. anybody else thought of this or tried it? im not gonna try it so dont worry lol. ill stick with my sonys. im just curious

bigmaaark

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
rancho cucamonga, ca
yes im still in the process of learning all of the new tech since its been a while and im just getting back into it. but the battery technology for r/c cars seems like its much more advanced than the batteries we are using for our mods. so i dont see why not. i wish someone with a lot of battery knowledge would chime in...

LX1X

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
Fee State
me and a friend of mine were having a discussion about batteries the other day because he asked me what batteries im using (sony vtc4) and then we started talking about rc cars (another hobby of ours) and we started thinking...would we be able to use rc car batteries for mods? im no battery expert but just a quick look up of some of these batteries i saw some that were like 8.4v 4500 mah etc (but they were in battery packs, i dont know if that was for a single battery or not). i doubt they have them in a 18650. anybody else thought of this or tried it? im not gonna try it so dont worry lol. ill stick with my sonys. im just curious

different voltage.. rc battery packs are in a series to make the 8.4v.. ie.. 6 or 7 1.2v (i believe) connected to each other to make that 8.4v or 7.2v.

NiMH-7-2V-3000mAh-11204-1.jpg

AciDeX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm pretty big into airsoft as one of my hobbies and many of the batteries we use in our guns are the same packs used in R/C. I think it's an interesting idea, however r/c and airsoft packs are designed for super high amp/ high discharge circuitry. That I think would be a little too hardcore for a vaping setup. Another thing is most lipo packs do not have any over discharge protection, so you have to be really careful when using them and/or use a voltage alarm to alert you when your batteries drop below 3.2v so you don't damage the cells or worse cause them to explode.

RattlerX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2014
West Texas
Here was some of my collection. I ended with 5 more toys not pictures but I just got tired one weekend when there was no place to race and sold out. 10k out the door for 4k

Man I lost my ... on that. I would start all over if we had a good track. I guess that is why I like building coils and reloading. It allows me to tinker all the time.

View attachment 308686

LX1X

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2013
Fee State
that makes sense. but since they are run connected wouldnt you be able to stack them safely?

dimensionally not the same i believe.. they are subC size.. google it.

edit.. heres the dimension for that type of battery

Technical SpecificationsChemistryNiCdCapacity1300mAhVoltage1.2VDimensions (Diameter x Height)23 x 34 mmWeight1.2 oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread