Rda coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Beckham

Dec 30, 2017
Ive been building my rdas fairly well, but looking at them after use they are turning black in some spots. I'm not sure if it's cause of too much heat on the coils or if I'm hitting too often. There's also the possibility my juice is just gunking up, I was told that the juice I'm using has a lot of sweetener so it goes through coils fast. I'm just curious if it's something I'm doing. I'm using bonza rda with 24 ga kanthol.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
x61GDl0.jpg

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
The colour change is normal. For me it happens almost instantly.

It's the crusty gunk that builds up on it that you don't want. Every couple days I take out my cotton and dry fire it back to grey, brushing/blowing off that crusty gunk. I keep the actual coil for 2 to 4 weeks, burning off the crusty gunk multiple times throughout.

But either way, for the cost of a bit of cotton and the 2 minutes it takes to rewick, it's not worth changing your vaping habits over.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I actually find q-tips dipped in ETOH to be fairly useful at getting rid of all the crud that has accumulated on my coil as well. I scrub at it, then q-tip it, then dry burn it. It's totally normal for coils to get gunked up, but as long as it's glowing well and there are no hot spots after whatever method of cleaning (I clean my coils as they are largely SS, and so I pulse them more than just dry burning the heck out of them to clean them, as they last longer that way) you should be okay.

I find my coils last pretty well using this method. I use rayon, so my coils don't gunk up quite as fast (although I don't use highly sweetened juice usually either but I do have *some* gunking factors) and that's nice for me in terms of time.

Unless you are really fretting, if you like your juice, you don't need to change it if you are alright with the amount of re-wicking you are doing. Rayon does last slightly longer than cotton, and I just straight up prefer it, so I mention that, as I do, LOL.

Anna

• Useful
Reactions: Baditude

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Ive been building my rdas fairly well, but looking at them after use they are turning black in some spots. I'm not sure if it's cause of too much heat on the coils or if I'm hitting too often. There's also the possibility my juice is just gunking up, I was told that the juice I'm using has a lot of sweetener so it goes through coils fast. I'm just curious if it's something I'm doing. I'm using bonza rda with 24 ga kanthol.
Welcome and glad you joined.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread