The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

RDA suggestions

Discussion in 'RDA' started by Haps, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Narda on the left, NarCA on the right. They're both designed for the coil to be diagonal between the airholes. These are both 5 wrap, 3 mm spaced SS . Have yet to find a better build for a mech squonker.
    rps20180228_181204.jpg
    @crammit442 ....meant to include your quote. Sorry

• Like Like x 3
  2. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hey Charles.

On both the NarDa and the NarCa, I think it is Easier to Mount the Coil when it is Not On a Mandrel.

I just bend the Legs of a 3mm Coil so they are pointing in the direction of the Coil Axis. Like this...

NarDa_Coil.jpg

In that view, all of the Coil is above the Legs. And the Legs are laying Flat on the Table.

Then I back Both Screws out enough for the Legs to fit under the Screw Heads. Then I mount the Coil not really worrying about the Height or angle it is sitting. Just Centered.

Once the Screws are Tight and the Legs are Snipped, I take my smallest Mandrel, a 2mm, and put it into the Coil resting it on the Top of one of the Screws. Then I pry the Coil Up until the 2mm Mandrel is level with the deck. Then I switch sides and do the same thing to the Coil resting the Mandrel on the Other Screw.

Now the 2mm Mandrel should be able to go All The Way thru the Coil. and I Rotate the Coil (away from the Leg leaving more room for the wick) so it has a Slight Angle like the pictures Asbestos posted.

Once it looks good, I hold the Deck up and Look across the Air Inlets. I like the Coil so that the Bottom of the Coil is lined up with the Bottom of the Air Inlets. Which, if you are using a 3mm Coil, is also the Highest point on the Deck.

Now Dry Burn if you Dry Burn your Coils. And Wick like Asbestos's picture. With a Single Tail on each side.

That's how I do it. And once you do it a few times, I find it to be Pretty Easy.

The Key (for me) is Not having the Coil on the Mandrel. And doing the Lifting/Rotating with a 2mm Mandrel.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Those could have just as well have been My Pictures.

Because I use the Same Wire, in the Same Gauge, the Same amount of wraps, positioned the Same amount, and Wicked the Same Way.

LOL

• Like Like x 1
  4. Asbestos4004

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    I leave my legs straight and leave the coil on the mandrel. I'll try to get a pic....

• Like Like x 2
  5. Asbestos4004

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    • Like Like x 2
  7. crammit442

crammit442 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2011
    Alabama
    My technique was more like the one pictured using the mandrel. Either way, it looks like we've ended up w/similar builds. I've also got the AF where it feels about right to me. Flavor is good. I was concerned w/trying to get the coil lower and the mandrel was only letting me go so far. I've only played w/building it a couple of times so I'm sure it'll become second nature. My Lost Vape Therion Squonk mod came in today and I've only had as couple of minutes to play with it. I'm finding the DNA75 color chip user interface much more intuitive than the regular DNA 75 chip so far. My coil is at 0.84 ohm and I'm at 24.5 watts w/410°F in TC. Pretty good where it is at the moment. I'm guessing that I'll quickly learn how often to squonk to avoid over filling. I appreciate the pics and info.
    Charles
    P.S. I have a spool of SS430 and NiFe48 on the way. Supposedly their TCR's are even more accurate in TC.
    downloadfile-132.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  8. Asbestos4004

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Personally, I like the air to hit the bottom of the coil . I've tried it lower but I think it robs flavor. I also think it made the whistle louder .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I think Every RDA has a Sweet Spot for how a given person likes their hit. It just takes some Experimentation to find what Coil/Build in what Position is the Best.

I too am using a New Regulated Squonker. I got a RSQ 80w a couple of day ago and am Loving It!

• Like Like x 2
  10. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I'm tell'n ya Asbestos, I think we are Siamese Vape Twins when it comes to the NarDa/NarCa.

LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    BTW - What Diameter Coil is that in the Picture?

• Like Like x 1
  12. crammit442

Jan 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I think you're right. I emerged from hibernation a couple of months ago to pick up a couple of batteries and was greeted by the 21st century! It took me a bit to find my sweet spot, but I've been building my same Kanthal build on my Super T mechs/KF Lite for seven years. I had a great (for me) vape and I wasn't even looking for anything different. I should have stayed in hibernation. It's been an expensive couple of months. Really liking TC, though.
    Charles
    P.S. Here's a pic of the new Therion w/a black NarCa on it.
    downloadfile-58.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  13. crammit442

Jan 7, 2011
    Alabama
    It's 28 ga SS316, 7 or 8 wraps at 2.5 mm i.d. wicked w/Rayon. I'm guessing 7 wraps since I'm reading 0.84 ohms. I tried several different builds last night playing around w/the NarCa clone. I need to change my screws to socket heads like the ones pictured. Much easier for me to get a good bite on the coil legs.
    Charles

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yeah... I Detest Slotted Screws.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Haps

Haps Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 22, 2013
    Canada
    Got home today and my NarDa was here. What a pain in the ... to build on. But I managed to get my standard build in there. Mangled and all. And the result is not bad first shot. The previously mentioned pulse will require much tweaking to get right. But first try on the narda and I'm not far off. I'm used to coiling my tails so the both come out the same side. Will have to adjust for that and then play with coil and wick. But really it's just tinkering.

Out of the box definitely liking the narda better then the pulse(even though it's a pain to build on and has slotted screws).

• Like Like x 2
  16. Asbestos4004

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Grab some M3x4mm button head screws. They'll make your life easier.
    From your description of your vape style...I seriously doubt the pulse will ever reward you with anything other than disappointment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Spydro

Spydro Sindoyen Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2013
    Spylandia
    I only DLH, but have a bunch of 'flavor' BF RDA's from back when I ran 35 Reos. Many of them were made for MTL specifically, or were MTL capable and didn't work well for my DLH's unless I drilled out their AFC's or slip streamed drip tips. Any of them should work well on the Copper Vape as well .

In the main Reo days those tootle puffer RDA's included Budz Worx Hornet, Vicious Ant 2013 Cyclones, Mark Bugs Chalice II's and III's, Nuppin's, NoName NoGain, Origen Little 16's, ERA's, Atomic, RM2's, RM3's, IGO-S... Manta's, CLT, Veritas, Magma, Rogue, Wasp Nano, Serpent BF, Solo. Also DotMod Petri V2, Hadaly's, VapourArt GP Dripper Pro's saw some use... the Hadaly's being the true MTL RDA's (but also by design they are easy leaker's).

For my uses the best of the best of those were the 2013 Cyclones, Nuppin's ans GP Dripper Pro's.

At the end of my Reo days I was only vaping five P67's, ran mostly Kryten's, Goon's, VV Mesh & Digi Mesh Pro's on them that have AFC's that probably could do MTL. The Drop RDA probably could also do MTL.

FWIW

There are many other BF RDA's I bought/tried over he years, but to me anyway they were junk right out of the box so not worth mentioning.

Now days I pretty much only run eight mesh rda's... on regulated squonk mods and TC mods.

• Like Like x 1
  18. crammit442

Jan 7, 2011
    Alabama
    I've been using the Speed Revolution clone for a couple of days and got bored and decided to build the NarCa clone again. Here's a couple of pics. Does this put the coil diagonally where its supposed to be? I know it's a lot of wraps ( 28 ga SS430, 2.75mm id), but I'm aiming for around just under an ohm. What'll y'all think?
    Charles

P.S. Different RDA, but I drilled an equal size AF hole 180° opposite the original on the Speed clone and it's working really well. downloadfile-2.jpeg downloadfile-3.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  19. Asbestos4004

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Looks great. I generally have my legs on the bottom of the coil because I like my coil a little higher. I want the air to hit the bottom third of the coil but that's just what works for me.
    Angle wise....you're perfect .:thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Asbestos4004

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    @Haps did those REO parts ever make it up to you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.