RDA vs BFRDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
My 1st Mech mod is being delivered on Thursday, so I will have that to keep me busy for a while. But I think my next purchase is going to be a Squonk box mod. Any suggestions on a good starter kit that won't hurt my wallet too much?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
idk where you're at in the world so i won't speak price wise as i'm in canada, Squonker wise i'd suggest asking around in the bottom feeding apv forums since i myself only own my 1 and first squonker (gbox 200 again) and i've been more than satisfied by it since last december,enough that i'm thinking of buying a 2nd one because i like the feel in my hands that much tbh. Of course opinions vary and you might not like it as much as i do, then again i only do regulated if you go unregulated or mech/mech with safety features you expand your options alot.

Hope that helps :)

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
If I had to choose between the Pulse and the Squeezer, I'd go for the HugoVapor Squeezer, because it has better build quality, hits a lot harder, has a much better locking mechanism, comes with everything you need and is a lot cheaper.

Both he pulse and squeezer are the same price in my area. The mech pulse dropped it's price pretty rapidly when the 80w version came out.

The squeezer I used had drawbacks too, battery rattle, the lock wouldnt go all the way on, but both of these can be fixed easy with a little diy. It does accept 21700s which is a big plus in my book. The contacts can be removed easily for cleanup which is another plus. I didnt care for the paint job it either.

The pulse lock actually breaks the circuit, which is safer than a button lock, but comes at the price of slight voltage drop. It doesn't have battery rattle, but also cannot take a 21700 either, so another trade off. You cannot take the contacts out so cleaning is a pain. But the finish is not paint, so it should stay looking good longer.

It really comes down to each person's needs to which one is better, I see them on a pretty even playing field myself. One would have to pick which one fits their needs the best.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
The Squeezer isn't painted.
I don't use 20700s, but with the 18650 adapter and 21700s I don't have batteryrattle on my Squeezer.
The contacts on the Pulse are potential wrapkillers however. Especially on the upper contact.
The locking mechanism on the Pulse is a pita, and the volt drop isn't "slight" in any way either, but quite substantial instead.
The doors on the Pulse suck big time. They always give me that annoying creaking sound of cheap plastic being squeezed. I absolutely despise that.
The Squeezer on the other hand feels much more solid.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The Squeezer isn't painted.
I don't use 20700s, but with the 18650 adapter and 21700s I don't have batteryrattle on my Squeezer.
The contacts on the Pulse are potential wrapkillers however. Especially on the upper contact.
The locking mechanism on the Pulse is a pita, and the volt drop isn't "slight" in any way either, but quite substantial instead.
The doors on the Pulse suck big time. They always give me that annoying creaking sound of cheap plastic being squeezed. I absolutely despise that.
The Squeezer on the other hand feels much more solid.
The squeezer is painted. Even Morton Owen's video showed that when he polished his, and when my buddy scratched his to see if it was the same color all the way through it was obvious.

It sounds like you found the one you like, but that doesn't mean the other options suck. My pulse hits just fine, it doesn't have much voltage drop like your saying. I have seen much worse. The doors may creak but mine stopped that after a week or so when the seams on the side wore down. And I have yet to tear a battery wrap on my pulse, but if your one to just jam them in, I could see it happen.

Both are fine choices and work for what they are. I do not dislike either, and recommended both.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Ok. Mine has a few key scratches. Then the paint has to be quite thick I guess. And wtf is Morton?

DJLsb has a chart comparing different squonkers. With a freshly charged battery the Pulse puts out only 3.4V. That's not exactly what I would call "not much voltage drop".;) In comparison the Squeezer delivers 3.8V.
There are worse boxes around, granted. But not many.

The edges on the top contact are quite sharp. It has nothing to do with slamming the batteries in. That the batterycompartment is quite tight, doesn't help either.

I've got the Pulse for half a year. Still screeching like a banshee. Especially on the corners without magnets.:nah:

Yes, the Pulse works. Perhaps even better than some other boxes. But in the end it delivers more on style than on substance.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Ok. Mine has a few key scratches. Then the paint has to be quite thick I guess. And ... is Morton?

DJLsb has a chart comparing different squonkers. With a freshly charged battery the Pulse puts out only 3.4V. That's not exactly what I would call "not much voltage drop".;) In comparison the Squeezer delivers 3.8V.
There are worse boxes around, granted. But not many.

The edges on the top contact are quite sharp. It has nothing to do with slamming the batteries in. That the batterycompartment is quite tight, doesn't help either.

I've got the Pulse for half a year. Still screeching like a banshee. Especially on the corners without magnets.:nah:

Yes, the Pulse works. Perhaps even better than some other boxes. But in the end it delivers more on style than on substance.

The paint is indeed thick and durable.

The gen1 pulse box is worse at voltage drop than the gen 2, if you have one without a cutout on the bottom to get a nail in to remove the door, it's a gen 1. I tested mine and it is firing at 3.6-3.7ish under load. I would have tossed it out if it was dropping as much as djlsb's reviewer's prototype.

I'm not claiming one is better than the other, they both suck compared to a vicious ant spade or the signature tips SQ. My MCM Underground SQK also beats both out hands down, but all of these are in a totally different class and price range. The pulse and the squeezer are after all, both budget squonkers that cut corners to make them affordable.

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I have a "Gen 2". And compared to the Squeezer the power output lags noticeabely massive behind.
That sucks for you man, sorry to hear you got a bad one. You could always remove the lock system and directly solder a 12g wire in its place to fix it. I have heard good results from that modification.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
It's a hoax....don't waste your money....:lol:
rps20180211_100029.jpg
rps20180506_095206.jpg
rps20180315_132702.jpg
rps20180520_214521.jpg

Reactions: Ben85