RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin899

Feb 11, 2018
It would help if people knew your vaping style with tanks. MTL or DL? What are you using now?
Apologies my good man.

Atm using smok mag or my alien. Which of course direct to lung but I’m not too fussed on either,

Just after good flavour and good hits, which everybody I speak to tells me how good flavour can be on rdas

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
Apologies my good man.

Atm using smok mag or my alien. Which of course direct to lung but I’m not too fussed on either,

Just after good flavour and good hits, which everybody I speak to tells me how good flavour can be on rdas
which tanks are you using on these mods?

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Only thing I'd say to a beginner is to stay clear of bottom airflow rdas until you have gathered some experience, otherwise you'll just be frustrated, sitting in a puddle of liquid.

There's either the bigger ones, like dead rabbit, drop rda, peerless, bonza etc, they're meant for dual coil and hold a good amount of juice plus have a lot of options as to what builds you can do, or single coil rdas usually meant for squonking (eg wasp nano, gorge, dead rabbit sq, pulse 22, nudge 22) but you can drip on most of them as well (and you'll do it a lot), it's easier on those to get good flavor and they're easier on your batteries (on average).

Reviews of those are out on YT, just have to choose some decent reviewers (I personally enjoy vaping with vic, vaping bogan, todds reviews, djlsbvapes to name a few).

Benjamin899

Feb 11, 2018
Only thing I'd say to a beginner is to stay clear of bottom airflow rdas until you have gathered some experience, otherwise you'll just be frustrated, sitting in a puddle of liquid.

There's either the bigger ones, like dead rabbit, drop rda, peerless, bonza etc, they're meant for dual coil and hold a good amount of juice plus have a lot of options as to what builds you can do, or single coil rdas usually meant for squonking (eg wasp nano, gorge, dead rabbit sq, pulse 22, nudge 22) but you can drip on most of them as well (and you'll do it a lot), it's easier on those to get good flavor and they're easier on your batteries (on average).

Reviews of those are out on YT, just have to choose some decent reviewers (I personally enjoy vaping with vic, vaping bogan, todds reviews, djlsbvapes to name a few).
From watching a lot of YouTube videos, it seems everybody loves them.

Just the building of the actual coil seems like a lot of work?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The engines get a lot of good feedback as RTA/RDTAs. They have great flavor and do sub0hm well, and they can be purchased with a single deck, or a dual deck.

I believe some of your tanks offer an RTA option, which I would not recommend starting out on, it has been my experience that the decks are often small, hard to build on, and don't always offer the greatest flavor as drop-in tanks aren't really "set up" to be run as RTAs.

RTA is a learning curve, and it took me some time... If you head over to the Rebuildable Atomizer system forums, you'll find a lot of great advice and resources. I started out with a coilmaster kit which contains most of what you will need to get started, although some folks with many tools just buy a few things like a coiljig (can also use a screwdriver, if you know the dimensions) and an ohm's reader. I found my coilmaster kit very useful for the price, although they certainly aren't "high quality" items, they get the job done. You'll also get a bit of wick and wire to practice with if you so desire. Steam-engine.org is also going to be your friend, in figuring out how to build to your desired resistance once you decide on a wire and gauge. Finally, it can be nice to experiment with wicks other than cotton, such as rayon. I like it as it is more forgiving to my tendency to stuff the coil with wick (it shrinks) and rayon has far greater longevity than cotton. Most folks using rayon use Sally's Graham cellucotton (just be sure to get the 100% rayon version). May want to experiment with different wire types, although I like stainless steel as it can be run in wattage or temp mode, and it doesn't give off undesirable things if overheated like titanium wire (which you can only use in temp mode, as it does give off undesirable things if over heated).

You may not land on your "best" RTA your first try, but there are just tons of them. Since you are used to sub0hming, I'd probably suggest a sub0hm RTA, but a single coil one to start with, since you are learning, and sometimes only having to deal with one coil and the associated fallout with two, which will halve your resistance plus probably be a smaller build deck, well, I'd make it as easy to start for yourself as you can. Some folks just take to coiling and wicking like a duck to water, I was not one of them, but I am glad I persevered, and RTAs do give great flavor, and it's a slightly different "quality" of vape, that I find a bit hard to explain, but I love the flavor and vape of many of my RTAs, although I use MTL ones.

Good luck, it is totally achievable with a little bit of a learning curve. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to try one!

Anna

• Winner
Reactions: Benjamin899

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Just the building of the actual coil seems like a lot of work?
Depends on how you define "a lot of work" and what you're planning on doing.
You're making your own staggered fused claptons? That will take a while to get right.
You're doing simple wire builds? That's dead easy and quick to do.

Benjamin899

Feb 11, 2018
The engines get a lot of good feedback as RTA/RDTAs. They have great flavor and do sub0hm well, and they can be purchased with a single deck, or a dual deck.

I believe some of your tanks offer an RTA option, which I would not recommend starting out on, it has been my experience that the decks are often small, hard to build on, and don't always offer the greatest flavor as drop-in tanks aren't really "set up" to be run as RTAs.

RTA is a learning curve, and it took me some time... If you head over to the Rebuildable Atomizer system forums, you'll find a lot of great advice and resources. I started out with a coilmaster kit which contains most of what you will need to get started, although some folks with many tools just buy a few things like a coiljig (can also use a screwdriver, if you know the dimensions) and an ohm's reader. I found my coilmaster kit very useful for the price, although they certainly aren't "high quality" items, they get the job done. You'll also get a bit of wick and wire to practice with if you so desire. Steam-engine.org is also going to be your friend, in figuring out how to build to your desired resistance once you decide on a wire and gauge. Finally, it can be nice to experiment with wicks other than cotton, such as rayon. I like it as it is more forgiving to my tendency to stuff the coil with wick (it shrinks) and rayon has far greater longevity than cotton. Most folks using rayon use Sally's Graham cellucotton (just be sure to get the 100% rayon version). May want to experiment with different wire types, although I like stainless steel as it can be run in wattage or temp mode, and it doesn't give off undesirable things if overheated like titanium wire (which you can only use in temp mode, as it does give off undesirable things if over heated).

You may not land on your "best" RTA your first try, but there are just tons of them. Since you are used to sub0hming, I'd probably suggest a sub0hm RTA, but a single coil one to start with, since you are learning, and sometimes only having to deal with one coil and the associated fallout with two, which will halve your resistance plus probably be a smaller build deck, well, I'd make it as easy to start for yourself as you can. Some folks just take to coiling and wicking like a duck to water, I was not one of them, but I am glad I persevered, and RTAs do give great flavor, and it's a slightly different "quality" of vape, that I find a bit hard to explain, but I love the flavor and vape of many of my RTAs, although I use MTL ones.

Good luck, it is totally achievable with a little bit of a learning curve. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to try one!

Anna
Thanks Anna :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Basically, a beginner should look for a RDA that has a larger, "spaceous" building deck with two posts, and larger holes in the positive/negative posts, like a "Velocity-style" model. You're going to be trying to put tiny wire coils into an extremely small area, so the more room the base has the better.

s997174454556426101_p266_i3_w960.jpeg

sSwlPf9.jpg

Like anything, the proper tools for a proper job makes things much easier. Suggested tools are listed in my guide below. And my motto has always been KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

Information Resources for Your First RBA
  • An essential read and referrance guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.

Last edited:

Benjamin899

Feb 11, 2018
Basically, a beginner should look for a RDA that has a larger, "spaceous" building deck and larger holes in the positive/negative posts, like a "Velocity-style" model. You're going to be trying to put tiny wire coils into an extremely small area, so the more room the base has the better.

s997174454556426101_p266_i3_w960.jpeg

sSwlPf9.jpg

Like anything, the proper tools for a proper job makes things much easier. Suggested tools are listed in my guide below. And my motto has always been KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

Information Resources for Your First RBA
  • An essential read and referrance guide for someone new to rebuilding coils. Includes a multitude of useful links on battery safety, mod safety, coil meters, coil building, and the differences in the three types of RBA's.
Much appreciated, the amount I spend on coils is really what’s swaying me, considering I’ve been vaping two years I do feel it’s time to upgrade.

Just don’t want to blow my face off in the process

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What’s the reason behind it?

As you’d imagine pretty clueless so what’s the deal?
I included the mime as a joke to your remark about blowing your face off. However there is some truth to the complexity of a quad or octa build deck. How would you, as a beginner, like to build on these decks?

Some folks, for whatever reason, like a lot of metal in their RBA. :facepalm: In truth, the more metal you use, the longer it takes to heat up all of that wire (ramp up time) and the more energy you drain the battery.

octa.jpg

Benjamin899

Feb 11, 2018
I included the mime as a joke to your remark about blowing your face off. However there is some truth to the complexity of a quad or octo build deck. How would you, as a beginner, like to build on these decks?

Some folks, for whatever reason, like a lot of metal in their RBA. :facepalm: In truth, the more metal you use, the longer it takes to heat up all of that wire (ramp up time) and the more energy you drain the battery.

octa.jpg
I wouldn’t like to even think about giving that a go :D

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread