Not open for further replies.

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
So I decided that I wanted to try some DIY and looking forward to getting started. I went ahead and got a basic starters kit from Nude Nicotine with three flavors. Going to mix some up tomorrow.

My question is, one of my flavors is tobacco and it seems that I have seen somewhere that the amount or percentage you would use is lower than other flavors. Can't remember how much lower tho. Any advice is much appreciated. May also experiment with doing one mix with tobacco and another flavor. Small amounts of course[emoji6] I know that kits aren't usually advised but I just thought it would be easier getting my feet wet with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk with my paws :)

Mommabird62

Last edited:

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
LoL had to say something! That's like the 4th time I've seen it today!!

As always with flavors percentages, start low and work your way up! You can always add more, you just can't take any out. I'd shoot for 10% to start, then go from there!!

LOL no problem. I had a dyslexic moment. Thanks and I will start low. Keeping it simple until I get the hang of it.

Mommabird62

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
Depends on brand and flavoring of tobacco. I got some strong flavors, So strong you need about 2%. Here are some mixing tips. I see a lot of people buy syringes then throw them away after every use. That's how many people use to mix.

What i do is i have some syringes, diabetic ones. I put my flavor in a ziplock bag, and i put 1 syringe in a sandwich bag, and put the sandwich bag inside the ziplock bag with the bottle of flavor. This allows me to use the same syringe for the same flavor every time. Avoids cross contamination of flavorings.

I also have a 50ml gradated cylinder. So when i use my calculator, it says 20ml PG, 4ml nicotine, 3ml VG, 1ml flavoring These aren't actual numbers just an example for easy math. So i fill the graduated cylinder to 20ml of PG, then I add 4ml of nicotine bringing me up to 24ml, then add 3 ml of V more, bringing me up to 27, i add that to my container where i am going to put my ejuice. Then i take the syringe add 1ml of flavoring.

The graduated cylinder will always have a mixture of VG/PG/Nicotine. I don't add flavorings to it, since the Graduated cylinder will hold on to flavorings. Doing it this way is a lot faster then trying to fill 4 different syringes.

chopdoc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2014
Independence, Louisiana, United States
Everyone does things a lil differently mommabird and you will find what works best for you too. I will use syringes for the VG. PG and nicotine, 1 ml pipettes for the flavors and a 10 ml glass cylinder for mixing with tape on it and pen lines to make it easier to see the markings.

With tobacco flavors it all depends on the brand. Hangsen and Inaware are known to be a stronger concentrate and a little goes a long way. I have mixed 5 drops of hangsen to 10 ml PG/VG and found it strong on one flavor and weak on another and used as much as %10 with Capella's and others. Its trial and error to find what you like. Some caramel, bavarian cream or sweet cream are good mixing agents with tobacco. Gives you the tobacco flavor but makes it creamy and tasty.

Make sure you keep a journal and a recipe book for mixing. Sure enough you will mix up the most awesome mixture known to man kind and totally forget how you did it without good notes. You will also find some great recipes that you will want to try and if you dont jot them down in your recipe book you might totally forget where that recipe was and spend days searching the net for it. :)

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
Thanks chopdoc [emoji4] Made my first batches earlier and am quite pleased. Since I was working from a kit, all but one had only one flavor added. Did a Tobacco, Very Berry and a Passion Fruit/Coconut Cream. Also did a tobacco with some Very Berry added. Liked them all and I imagine steeping will make them even better. Thought about putting them in the crockpot, but it doesn't have a temp control feature. Only low, med and high. Don't want to mess them up.

I do agree that the tobacco would be even better with some caramel or sweet cream added. Getting ready to make notes and start ordering some more stuff [emoji4]

Mommabird62

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
If you have a tablet or smartphone I would suggest a recipe app.

I use "e-liquid recipe manager lite". Its free and an excellent calculator. Just input all your flavors and bases into the "edit ingredients" section and when you go to "create recipe" its just plug and play. A really great app!

One other thing to add. I almost gave up on DIY a while back because everything I made didn't taste right. there's a magic rule that states "20 drops equal 1 ml of fluid". Make sure whatever it is you're using for drops of flavoring is correct. It turned out those tiny pipettes I use were 40 drops/ml.

What I did was suck up a ml of PG in a syringe and shot it in a 10 ml bottle. Marked the fluid line and dumped it back. I used my pipette to drop PG up to that line.

Since I've figured out that little piece of info my DIY has been so much more fruitful and much more fun!!

JHDublin

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Ireland
DIY is great, saves a fortune.
I started the easy way of just buying a 100ml 50/50 pg/vg 18mg of Hangsen liquid and 100ml pg and 100ml vg, mix the lot together in a wine bottle so that I now have 300ml of 6mg juice and then ad flavours from there.
Going to step it up a bit now as I ordered a bunch of stuff today like 1L of some 12mg base liquid 1L of VG various flavours and more stuff to come

mommabird62

squonkhead
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
NC
So far so good. Tested them in a dripper and liked them all. Letting them steep for a bit. The tobacco needs a little something added. Going to get an order together and get some caramel to add to it.

Thanks for the help [emoji2]

Am going to order 100mg concentrate nicotine as opposed to the 36 that was in the kit. Just to get my ratio straight. If I were going to make my mixes 6mg nicotine, does that mean I would be adding 6ml nic per 100 ml juice? I'm no good at math LOL

Mommabird62

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread