Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
i have never used a hybrid and need to learn how to use my dmm to check the build.
It’s a cheap dmm so I don’t expect anything accurate but I vape high ohms anyway.
How do I use it for attys? Only ever use for batteries
FB243BA5-1112-4D5C-B361-416FD67760DD.jpeg

Thanks

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I’d test it fully assembled (the atty), one lead on the threads and other one on the center pin.

(Edit: set the switch to Ω and the dial to the lowest available range — looks like 2 KΩ in the pic. Touch the leads together first and measure the base resistance. Subtract this amount from the reading you get off the atty.)

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
That’s the way I tried before I asked. It has 0 base resistance and then the res comes up as 0.02 so something’s wrong with the dmm so I’ll leave it I think.

Thanks
Yeah it might not be sensitive enough, I think it might be reading in KΩ and .02 (20Ω) may just be the smallest non-zero value it can display. I too have a hybrid mech I can’t use because I don’t have a DMM (not even a cheap one) but luckily it has a 510 top cap available that I was able to track down so I can still use it as a standard tube mech with other atties.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Well I have two. The other is the standard 510 and the res jumps a teeny bit. It’s defo fine on a reg and probably fine on the mech but I don’t feel so comfortable and one of our friends your side of the pond sent it over to me and I just wanted to check it out. Bought a new bottle of juice for it and drove an hour to pick it up!

I’ll have to put the juice in the trusty old kfun. Or possibly a gus. Shame though. When the shinyitis actually happens and you can’t use it :mad:

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Are you in Europe or the U.S.?

The 2K ohm setting is where you should be for testing coil resistance, but most meters have a 200 ohm range.

If you can't get that one to work and don't want to spend a lot of money, pick up a cheap meter at Harbor Freight. The $5.99 meter at HF does a decent job with vaping hardware. Sometimes, they give them away with a coupon. It's a good meter for the money to use with vaping hardware. I have several scattered around the house. Readings I get are very close to my Simpson and Fluke meters.

7 Function Digital Multimeter

image_11746.jpg

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thanks @DaveP :thumb:

I’m in the U.K. but I’ll have a look and see if I can get one

Those are made in China and are probably available all over. That particular model is solid. I have 4 or 5 around the house, upstairs, downstairs, garage, and basement.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
@DaveP

Thanks Dave. I’ve got this new dmm that you recommended but now I’m stumped by it :facepalm:

I never used them for anything but vaping and I only ever learnt to test the V on my batteries. I can’t even sort that.
Can you explain how to test V and also resistance on this one?

Thanks

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread