Really need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all- I'm an old guy that smoked for over 40 years until I found vaping in 2014. Changed my life. I've been ordering my juice and hardware online for years, but when I went to make an order the other day I was told that they can not ship anything to my home state of Maine! I noticed they don't even carry things like Juul at my local market any more. I have yet to check with any local vape shops, but I assume they can't get the stuff either. I'm down to my last bottle of juice and in a panic. Don't want to go back to tobacco, and the spouse would never go for that anyway. What the heck are my options (other than driving to another state)? Can you get ingredients and make your own juice?
Thanks for any advice?

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
Yes, yes you can. I'm in the same boat, but I learned how to DIY, or Do It Yourself.
You need nic, PG, VG, and some flavors, a $15 digital scale, and some recipes. Look around, there are hundreds of posts on this, here in this forum and others.

And great calculators that tell you how much of what to add to get your amount in your strength. It's not difficult, once you get it together, you can make juice cheap!

Your other option is to find a friend/relative in a state that does accept deliveries, and have them resend it to you.

Good luck, brother...

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'm a DIY kind of guy anyway. Any recommended places to buy ingredients?

Well...first, yes, there is definitely a wide variety of vendors to buy nic base, flavorings, etc.from. However, you really need to do some browsing and research first here on ECF, before you even think about checking out various vendors to buy ingredients from. Two of the biggest mistakes people can/do make when beginning DIY...are (1) jumping in with both feet before spending some time learning first, and (2) taking the first few suggestions they get...without knowing and learning about the others.

There's a wealth of info. on here about anything/everything to do with DIYing your own eliquids. It's absolutely best to spend some time reading the info, asking questions you may have, etc. to have the best chance of success with DIY.

Go to the following section/forum and spend a good deal of time there soaking up info., suggestions, etc. Be aware though, that people have their own preferences of flavoring brands to use and individual flavorings, how to measure and mix their DIY eliquids, where to buy the ingredients, etc., etc. There is NO one "best" anything for everyone who does DIY...whether it's flavorings, vendors, measuring methods, etc. You'll have your own preferences, too, once you get into DIY.

DIY E-Liquid

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
If you buy the right supplies you can insure years, even decades of vaping for way under a thousand dollars. You need nic concentrate, mods, and rebuildable atomizers. Everything else is generic. The most important one is the nicotine.

I'm on about the same track as you except I've been mixing and rebuilding for 5 years. Rebuilding a a few cents per build. My DIY liquid costs me about 10 cents a day, about 1 cent per ml (smoking a carton a week cost me $3,000 a year in Michigan 6 years ago. Get some years supply of nic in the freezer pronto. Yes there is a learning curve for how to mix and rebuild but it's a moot point if you don't have any supplies. There are many threads and many people on this forum where you can learn way more than you need to know to be successful.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi all- I'm an old guy that smoked for over 40 years until I found vaping in 2014. Changed my life. I've been ordering my juice and hardware online for years, but when I went to make an order the other day I was told that they can not ship anything to my home state of Maine! I noticed they don't even carry things like Juul at my local market any more. I have yet to check with any local vape shops, but I assume they can't get the stuff either. I'm down to my last bottle of juice and in a panic. Don't want to go back to tobacco, and the spouse would never go for that anyway. What the heck are my options (other than driving to another state)? Can you get ingredients and make your own juice?
Thanks for any advice?

I Don't think anyone with Ship e-Liquids or Nicotine Base to Maine unless you are a "licensed as a tobacco retailer". Do you have any Friends or Relatives that live in another State?

You kinda need to get on this Quickly. Because after September 9th, things are going to Change.

Fstop

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
San Antonio, TX
That's really good to hear. I'm a DIY kind of guy anyway. Any recommended places to buy ingredients?
What are your current favorite Vapes? How much nicotine do you Vape? What do you prefer to Vape Tobacco or Food Flavors? How do you like to Vape cigarette like mods or tank &/battery. Most importantly Find A Relative or Friends Outside Red nazi Fascist & Neo Liberal Fascist States & continued shopping through them. Use your favorite flavors to as a guide tobmake your own

Reactions: stols001

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
What happens on September 9th?

Lots of vape related stuff will be all but impossible to buy. There is talk of a HUGE tax on nicotine to the tune of 2700.00 per liter. So even DIY will be a trick if you haven't already stocked up.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
What happens on September 9th?

What your dealing with now is only new laws/regulations a state level... after Sept. 9 we have a lot of new regulations going on, on the federal/ national level that will affect every state in the nation.

After Sept. 9, any vape item (whether mods, pods or ejuice) without an application for FDA approval on file with the FDA will no longer legally be able to sell their products in the United States.

The application process is daunting, prohibitively expensive for small businesses/manufacturers and noone still has any clue what the FDA will or will not approve (meaning many will close shop before they spend their life savings on a maybe we'll approve you, or maybe we'll tell you no).

This will crush any small vape manufacturer, (and thus most small vape shops)and much of what is available in the U.S. today, won't be any longer.

Back in 2016 the FDA themselves estimated that up to 90% of what is sold in the U.S. will no longer be able to be after deeming hits, and that date is less than a month away.

Here is a nicotine calculator that will help you to calculate how much nicotine you'll need for stocking up.

Vaping Community e-liquid Calculator - Vapocalypse Calculator

And so you know, we decant our nicotine into glass bottles, wrap them in bubble wrap etc and store them in the freezer. This way they will keep for a very long time to come. (Many have small dedicated nicotine freezers, that lock. They aren't prohibitively expensive and this keeps nicotine away from food or any potential accidents, although not everyone goes that route.)

Also, the most common nicotine base to buy is 100mg/ml... and for freebase nicotine it's running about 50 dollars a liter (1000 ml)...

our lawmakers would like to add a per mg nicotine tax at the federal level, which if successful, would make that 50 dollar bottle of today's nicotine into nearly a 3 thousand dollar bottle.

Not trying to scare you... it is what it is though and you should be thanking Maine in some degree because at least you know now. The governments angry about the loss in tax revenue by everyone quitting smoking... and they are going to try to either destroy us, or tax us the same as cigarettes so they aren't out any revenue.

Like someone else said, your best bet right now is to find freinds or family in a different state so you'll have a fighting chance.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I Don't think anyone with Ship e-Liquids or Nicotine Base to Maine unless you are a "licensed as a tobacco retailer". Do you have any Friends or Relatives that live in another State?

You kinda need to get on this Quickly. Because after September 9th, things are going to Change.

Just To Be Clear:

I'm Not Suggesting that you have an Out-of-State Friend or Relative buy something for You and then Send it to You.

I'm Suggesting that you have an Out-of-State Friend or Relative buy something for You and then You go Drive and Pick It Up.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
For me, and I am in a different state and I started to DIY a few years ago. The point is, that when I decided to switch, I realized that DIY needs steeping so it is not an overnight situation. What I did was to make a final largish purchase of juice to last a month and to, also, get into DIY pretty quickly.
DIY is not hard, it takes some measuring hardware, a lot of little testing bottles to try mixes, flavors, nic, PG, and VG.
I do believe that nic will be restricted very soon. Controlling and taxing nic is going to happen if liberals get their way. Buy a couple litres of nic very soon...like today. If it can't be shipped to Maine, I would cross the border or get a friend to order it in another state and re-mail it to you.

Do what you have to do, and soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread