Status
Not open for further replies.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
when I bought my 510 it had a devil head logo on it, from this forum I learned that the logo is from Totally Wicked and they were allowed(for a cost) to put their logo on it, or 'brand' it , doesnt mean its a knockoff tho

Yep it was the Torando I once had an eGo and need another batt and got a tornado cause they had a sale at the time. Charger was interchangable as were everything else.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
If you think of it in terms of cars...

Mitsubishi makes the Lancer, now imagine if Toyota made a Lancer too... and VW made one called a "Vancer". A lot of that is going on, but now imagine there are also a lot of companies that actually buy the Lancer from Mitsubishi but pay to rename it whatever name they want and add their own logo.. that's happening too!

It ends up being really hard to discern which one is the original Lancer and which one is a copy, in the end it doesn't matter as long as it's made by a good manufacturer.

I know that Totally Wicked's Tornado is a real Joye eGo, so is Ovale and Inferno. Riva is a knock off but it's a good one. Vgo I have hear ok news about, kGo I've not heard good things about... Then there are look-a-likes that aren't even 510 compatible too...

My best advice is to google 'ecf + the name of whatever you want to buy' and see what comes up. Barring that I see no reason to buy anything except a genuine Joye eGo from a proven ECF supplier or a Riva (which is only $30 after the 20% discount). It's not like you're going to find a better deal than that.

ElProximo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
Alberta
Nobody is more shameless about patent infringement than the Chinese. They even copy each other willy nilly.

All the generic type (510, KR808D, M402, etc.) Have been copied ad nauseum.

I visit China now and then and they do have some 'loose notions' when it comes to copyright and patents for sure.
To the best of my knowledge the patent is owned by Ruyan (literally means 'like-smoke') which is the original company of inventor Hon Lik.
Here is where it gets interesting - they don't do business by lawyers. They do business by government 'capitalist dictatorship'.
They don't so much have 'copycats' as they have 'permitted clones'. In China, even the ones which are said to be 'unauthorized' really are 'allowed' or simply 'not yet restricted' heheh.

The last I was there (last Summer) and to the best of the knowledge I could gather there are 3 major manufacturers all totally verified, official and with strict standards and all are legal abiding etc.

What is confusing (to my western mind) is there was two other major Ego manufacturing companies somehow 'not official' but here again we never quite know what that means in China rules. You can find them listed. They are not 'pirates' and not necessarily making anything 'inferior' or less than spec. So its a little confusing why they would say 3 manufacturers plus 2 other manufacturers hehe.

That is 5 that I knew of anyways via CCTV and just asking around and snooping a little hehe.. There might be 100 by now for all I know!

Oh.. sorry for the long rant and to answer the question - the Egos all come from the same manufacturers in China. The buyers are just putting their brand name on them. You could order 1000 and have your company name printed on them too. The good news with Chinese is that they don't really care what you call it either. I wouldn't try and choose 'Ruyan' though or 'Evil Mao' as names but you could get nearly anything printed on them hehhe

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
"Rebranding"
Is kind of the implied marketing direction, the Chinese manufacturers don't really have to waste time with advertising or one on one customer support....the middle man retailer takes care of that and then sales the product to us at a mark up (well its a mark up in the since that they buy in bulk) we benefit from US shipping times vs Chinese shipping times as well as having someone to go complain to when it breaks.

Volcano is good at this in the states, as they sell a joyetech product but don't mention the word Ego anywhere...in fact the product they sale is a tad bit different than your standard ego with its o-ring cone vs screw on cone and fancy designs. The problem comes when you have to search long and hard on google to figure out what you are buying...when the "Azure Dragon Fire" ecig turns out to be a rebranded kr808....well its hard to figure out why it costs twice as much as the same thing from another vendor.

redheadone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
North Carolina
I did some extensive research on what was a actual joy and what was a rebrand. Some company's put their names on the ego but that doesn't mean its a rebrand.If the ego has a silver band , clear button, and ego stamped somewhere on it then it is a genuine ego product. There are quite a few companies that do sell the genuine and some that sell the rebrand. I have heard that quite a few members have bought both and one works just as well as the other although the rebrands are less expensive.

b4cz28

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Spring TX (Houston)
I did some extensive research on what was a actual joy and what was a rebrand. Some company's put their names on the ego but that doesn't mean its a rebrand.If the ego has a silver band , clear button, and ego stamped somewhere on it then it is a genuine ego product. There are quite a few companies that do sell the genuine and some that sell the rebrand. I have heard that quite a few members have bought both and one works just as well as the other although the rebrands are less expensive.

I guess the one I got from Liberty Flights is not the real deal then...its does not say ego on the unit at all. It does have a silver band, clear button and white LED though.

The Trout

Mar 20, 2011
East Hartford
I posted a little about this in another thread but I will elaborate here.
Before I got into this site and did a lot of research, my GF bought a Totally Vapor USA Super Torpedo at a mall in CT. Soon after I got into it and chose an JOYE ego maniac with the 510 atomizer. I paid 1/3 the cost and got pretty much the same thing. Side by side they are identical and all parts are interchangeable. Hers has a rubber type finish as mine is a smooth plastic. My kit included 2 complete units, pre-filled tips, wall/usb charger, and box. Hers came with 1 complete unit, 1 spare atomizer, usb charger, and a few pre-filled tips.

The difference between the two?
None, besides the price and my button is a soft silicone rubber, and hers is a hard plastic. Both work exactly the same. So other then the fact that I think the mall guy ripped her off, we really aren't disappointed in either model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread