Rebuildable Atty Virgin Needs Help Deciding!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
Okay guys it's been a long time comin', and I'm finally ready to purchase my first rebuildable atomizer :w00t:. Let me be very clear about what I want from this atomizer. First, flavor is EVERYTHING for me. I tried an AVA atty a while back, and while the overall performance of the AVA was lackluster, the flavor was so good I didn't want to switch back to regular 510's. However, the actual atty is way overpriced and I came to find many people on the forums saying RBAs have comparable flavor production, if not better in some circumstances. So here's what I've looked at - tell me which of these you would recommend:

1. AC9 from Vapinaze.com
- Likes: The main reason this atty appeals to me is because of the completely separated juice tank, which provides a reservoir for the juice that stops the juice from coming into contact with metal. I feel that this fact alone would increase flavor intensity and purity, and I would think it would be a desirable feature in general. Any thoughts?
- Concerns: I'm told the air hole is too big, causing an airy draw. Not a fan of airy draws at all, and so if this is the case, any forewarning from experienced users would be very helpful. Also, that 6 week shipping time frame is vastly unappealing, and almost enough to nix the product altogether. Any reports on the time it took you to get yours would be wonderful!

2. The Cobra from Alba-Vapors.co.uk
Scott Bonner's review of this Atty kinda sold it to me already, but I really want to hear other opinions. The smaller air hole is a plus, as I've heard the draw on the Cobra is tighter. I also like the fact that it is made out of Titanium, ultimately making it more durable and higher quality. I also really like the multitude of options for wicking the atty, because as a new RBA user I want to find what configuration works best for me.
- Concerns: Length. It seems beastly on a ProVari Mini and that's just from watching a video review. I have the regular ProVari and I'm inclined to believe this atty would be wayyyyyy too big on the device, considering I felt that way just by using the extended battery cap!!!! Any thoughts on the length and whether the quality of the device overrides this would be appreciated!

3. The DID from E-vape.gr
- Likes: Honestly I don't personally like the design or look of the DID, but the overwhelming amount of community support for this device causes me to pause and rethink my aesthetic needs :p. Honestly I want to hear what everyone has to say about this atty in comparison to the others I've mentioned.
- Dislikes: A completely closed off juice tank seems absurd to me. I want to be able to see the level of it, and also I don't like that all of the juice is just sitting in the metallic container like that. I would think the flavor of this RBA would be less pure than that of the Cobra or the AC9, but I can't say for sure so please advise!

I am open to any other suggestions on RBAs. Like I said, this is untested water for me. Never used one, but I can't wait to make the switch. Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!!!!!

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
Honestly, it's going to depend more on what juice flavors you enjoy as to wether or not any of these devices are going to be the right fit for you since they are all Genesis based attys. Strong flavors for me are great, cinnamon, mint, tobaccos. Fruit flavors, not so much.

I spent a good chunk on a DID along with pretty lengthy wait to get it.

When the cheap clones started coming out, I got in on a Co-op and bought 4 for less than $40 delivered.

Turns out the cheap clones taste exactly the same to me, with the juices I use.

If I had it to do over again, I would have rather spent the $40 to know that these are OK, but not my all day device and to experiment with different sized air holes, etc.

You might also want to look at the dripping type RBA's as lots of people seem to enjoy those for taste.

To be perfectly honest with you, flavor wise, I am much happier with a couple packs of CE3 bottom coil clearos in my supplies than I have ever been with any Genny based atty or RBA I've tried so far.

Obligatory disclaimer-
YMMV, Taste is Subjective, We all like different things, etc., etc., etc.

P.S.
I almost forgot, Customs shouldn't be an issue, other than waiting for it to clear.

P.P.S.
To get the most out of any of these devices you really need a 100% mechanical mod with the best IMR high discharge batteries and a good charger. The ProVari is great, but even the V2's balk at RBA attys at times. Best to use even a super cheap mechanical mod to check the function as well as a multimeter to check the resistance before you even think about connecting it to a device with electronics.

Last edited:

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
You're absolutely right, taste is subjective. However, IMO, there are certain attys that produce better, more robust flavors across the board, no matter the juice. The AVA is a good example, as the materials used in its manufacturing reduce the amount of impurities found in the liquid. Surprised to hear that $40 models aren't very different; perhaps I'll look into some of them first. Thanks for the info!

Honestly, it's going to depend more on what juice flavors you enjoy as to wether or not any of these devices are going to be the right fit for you since they are all Genesis based attys. Strong flavors for me are great, cinnamon, mint, tobaccos. Fruit flavors, not so much.

I spent a good chunk on a DID along with pretty lengthy wait to get it.

When the cheap clones started coming out, I got in on a Co-op and bought 4 for less than $40 delivered.

Turns out the cheap clones taste exactly the same to me, with the juices I use.

If I had it to do over again, I would have rather spent the $40 to know that these are OK, but not my all day device and to experiment with different sized air holes, etc.

You might also want to look at the dripping type RBA's as lots of people seem to enjoy those for taste.

To be perfectly honest with you, flavor wise, I am much happier with a couple packs of CE3 bottom coil clearos in my supplies than I have ever been with any Genny based atty or RBA I've tried so far.

Obligatory disclaimer-
YMMV, Taste is Subjective, We all like different things, etc., etc., etc.

P.S.
I almost forgot, Customs shouldn't be an issue, other than waiting for it to clear.

P.P.S.
To get the most out of any of these devices you really need a 100% mechanical mod with the best IMR high discharge batteries and a good charger. The ProVari is great, but even the V2's balk at RBA attys at times. Best to use even a super cheap mechanical mod to check the function as well as a multimeter to check the resistance before you even think about connecting it to a device with electronics.

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
I was looking forward to trying an AVA at some point down the road myself, but it seems that should really be used with the RES or an atty tank like an UFS to get the most out of it.

It can't hurt to try a cheapie first, if you like it then get on a list for or order a nicer model.

I've seen lots of these ending up listed in the classifieds and people saying that it turns out they just aren't right for them.

You might want to go ahead and get Verified and check out the classifieds and the co-op sections. If you have patience you can get some great things, just be sure you research as well.

tsafur

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2012
IL
i was one of the ava ravers. the taste is incomparable to any atty. the only people who have negative comments about the taste have never tried one. i own a bunch of them. that being said, they have been collecting dust for the past couple months.

i have been totally transformed by using rebuildables. I have over twenty different kinds of rebuildables. every one of them perform differently. Sure, you may be able to get a clone to taste almost the same, but there are a lot of differences in performance and especially build quality. The draw, vapor and throat hit will be different in every different one. taste will also be different in every one of them. the same atty can taste different depending on a lot of variables also(wick material, length and width). also what watt/volt you vape and at different ohms.

the three atty's your looking at are very good to start with, but their are others that are very good also. your three choices are genesis atty's have you considered silica based atty's? even though you could use silica in all the atty's you've listed. I use vw or vv on all my rebuildables without issues. even the provari without issues. if the atty is set up properly, you will have no problem with a non-mechanical mod and benefit from all the other features of the mod.

i still haven't found a setup yet that taste better than the ava, but have found some very similar to taste, but way better performance in other regards.

if you want to try a cheap rebuildable let me know, i have a few laying around here somewhere i can let you try.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
I have a DID clone. It tastes pretty good at about 10 watts, but lower than that flavor is kind of weak, at least the way I have it set up.

I haven't tried a nicer RBA so I can't directly compare if one like an AVA would make my juice taste better. I suspect the taste has more to do with 1). wattage, 2). wick, 3). Coil. I don't think juice sits long enough in the tank to affect the taste much.

You are right though, the most frustrating thing about it is the metal tank with no clue as to what the juice is doing. I can usually tell when it is getting low though because I have to start tilting it toward the wick to get good vape. I guess after using it some time you will start to just know when it is low.

Still, a clear tank is a big plus in my mind.

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
After using almost all these attys Id suggest first spending less and see how you like a genesis type and also a silica type rebuildable.
You can find these many places at very low pricing. There are so many factors that affect what flavor, TH, and voltage you can use these at its like another poster said. Each one will give you a different vape experience.. So don't go broke on just one.. Check out a few and see where you end up. IMO

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Couple of my thoughts:

AC9: Great atomizer. The "isolated tank" thing is very nifty and makes for a robust design but I have not experienced a flavor benefit with it. The juice will still be in contact with steel at the top cap not to mention it has to go through the steel top cap to get to the coil. The air hole is big, and yes, it has an airy draw however, it's not the "bad" airy draw you would get from a standard atomizer. This atomizer has a huge wick hole makes wicking problems almost a non-issue. This is a juice guzzling vapor factory....

While I don't have Cobra(yet;)) and I've only worked with a DID very briefly(somebody elses) I think there is an RBA you definitely need to consider..........The BliSS.

The BliSS: This is IMHO one of the most well rounded atomizers out there. It is equal or better build quality than just about any I've seen. It has a glass tank with a protective SS sleeve over it. It has options for multiple wicks/coils like the Cobra. A feature that is sometimes overlooked on the Bliss is the section where the wick holes are, there is a slight lip or edge on that surface that helps to "catch juice" when you take the top cap off. The AC9 and the Cobra don't and if you gotta bunch of juice up there it can run all over if yer not careful (c'mon guys, you know know what I'm talkin about...). It's size is about the same as the AC9 but a lil smaller in diameter, definitely smaller than the Cobra.

I do agree that it would prolly be worth getting a cheap genesis copy at first and learn all the little wick making skills and see if it even something you would like. At the very least you would have an extra or back-up once you got a better one.I started out on some of the more advanced stuff and there's no problem with that either, if you don't like it then you would be able to sell just about any of these higher end atomizers in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread