Rebuilding drop in coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennneth

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2019
Dallas
I like fiddling with things so I decided to rebuild a triton .4 ohm ss coil. I simply pushed out the guts, burned the coil clean and rewrapped with cotton bacon and reassembled (I left the outside shielded wicking in place and only wrapped bacon around the coil itself). One thing was interesting and another thing surprised me.

The interesting thing was the coil had 10ish (didn't count) turns. But 1 power lead was attached to the middle of the coil. The other power lead was attached to the top of the coil. Thus leaving the bottom coil end unterminated. Can only speculate as to why this was done as no current flows though the bottom half of the coil.

The thing that surprised me was now the sweet spot for me on this coil is 20 to 22 watts where with a new coil the sweet spot is 25 to 28 watts. The vape is a little hotter and the flavor is more pronounced (better). This was my last coil and awaiting new ones to come in so the flavor may only be a perception but the set wattage on the same mod is definitively lower for desired vape hit.

Not condoning or suggesting you do this as I was just fiddling and thought I'd share my perceived results.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
If it works great and can save money in the long run and or when proprietary coils are no longer available because of restrictions etc.

Here i took apart Innokins Zenith 1.6 proprietary coll head it was a horizontal coil and made it into a horizontal coil like joyetech's cr coilhead.
After experimenting with hole size and using stainless screws and grinding flush the screw head with outside wall to close off 2 of the 4 holes it worked .
Its a nice feeling knowing with enough old used proprietary coilheads a lifetime supply can be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread