Rebuilding protank mini coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started rebuilding protank coils and on my ohm meter they come in at 1.5-2.2ohms. After trying 2 of the rebuilt coils today the ohms keep changing as in dropping to 1.0 and below :( Any suggestions?

Have you rechecked them on your meter? if they check out then check your battery, see if your center post has moved. May be a bad contact on battery giving false reading. Take a small screwdriver and work it up a little.

Last edited:

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
When they jump around like that I find almost always the coils are not centered properly in the middle. also run your finger around the bottom where you clips the ends of the coil and make sure you cannot feel and wire sticking out. If a tiny end and you can't cut it close enough bend it under the rubber insulator. CHEERS!

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Kanger coils are always a little hassle to rebuild, especially if we are talking about the mini versions of the pt3 or aerotank because the head sits right on the battery connector and the lower pin wants to rotate, twisting the coils you made with so much care.

I am with wheelie... Check the bottom. 99% sure there is a izzy tiny leg sticking out... Probably between the bottom insulator and the bottom pin. If needed, lift the pin one or two millimeters, cut the leg flush with the inside of the insulator and reinsert the pin carefully. What happens is like I said, as you tighten down the head, the friction on the bottom pin will make it rotate slightly. If there is a leg sticking out, it will jam on the pin and the whole coil assembly will start to twist changing the resistance and even shorting out.

Good luck

Regards
Tony

Sent from my GT-I9195 through Tapatalk

LadyPharaoh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
AL, USA
Thanks for all your help. I figured it out :facepalm: Can someone explain to me why the thinner gauge kanthal has higher resistance? I would logically think the fatter wire would be more resistant.

Hi RIMP,

Think of kanthal as a garden hose and the electricity from the battery as water. The larger the hose, the less resistance on the flow of water. A smaller diameter hose creates higher resistance on the flow of water. :)

leekeylee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2014
Hull, UK
Just to add my experience in (only been a vapour for about 6 weeks)

I build Micro coils, 28 awg kanthal about 9 times around a 1.5mm drill bit, take the coils off, squuze gently with pliers so all the coils are touching but not overlapping, heat until coil glows nicely. You will find that the all the twists are touching and it stays in place. I put it back on the drill bit make sure the legs are nice and straight and then put in to my t3s head, the drill bit sits nicely in the cut outs of the head so easy to get the rubber gromet and pin in without too much movement.

When trimming the legs I twist them of I do not cut them I find this gets them closer than you can when cutting them so less chance of shorts.

I then wick with natural organic cotton, getting the correct amount of cotton is something that takes a little practice, too much and it strangles the flow, too little and it floods.

I was having huge problems with stock coils on the t3s heads so started to do this myself and it works a treat. With the cotton I find the flavour better and becuase it expands soo much when wet no need for a flavour wick on top.

Hope it helps

Just to take the (very good) garden hose analogy and expand on it:
Electricity is the flow of electrons from one point to another along a circuit. In this case your circuit is the battery and coil... From the negative terminal of your battery through the coil to the battery's positive terminal. At this point, I could go on about the difference between electron flow and conventional current but I won't... It's a bit tricky to explain in a first lesson.
Electrons move from atom to atom and the more atoms there are that are efficient at carrying current, (such as a copper atom in traditional copper wire) the more electrons that can potentially move through that circuit. So bigger wire means, more atoms, which in turn means less resistance.

[EDIT]should you ever find yourself of a mind to learn about the fundamentals of electronics, I would recommend a book that can be had for less than ten bucks including shipping from most outlets..
"There are no Electrons: Electronics for Earthlings" by Kenn Amdahl
Also you can find an old copy of Grob's for SUPER cheap. It's not really critical to have the latest edition. Last time I checked you can get them for 3 bucks on Amazon with free shipping in some cases. (new editions are over 100 dollars)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread