Recommendations for a bottom AF RTA for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2019
Gulf Coast, TX
Greetings all!

So yeah I know... "one of these threads AGAIN?" but I couldn't really find any matching what I am looking for since most of the ones I have seen have been for top AF designs and are either somewhat aged at this point, or not quite what I am wanting. I've been looking at a lot of designs and I am not quite sure what to get, or if I'm even looking in the right vapeverse for my needs.

I'm looking for something I can do sub-ohm as well as low ohm vaping on (like ,.10 to 1-2 ohms or so) for different uses as needed. I prefer something somewhat airy, but not too airy if that makes sense, and is also fairly adjustable on the AF. I do like DL vaping better than MTL. One last requirement is something that is decent for learning coil building on. I am wanting to start with basics after watching a ton of videos, but I know that some are more difficult than others to coil and wick due to post location, size, etc.

Is all of this doable with one atomizer, or do I need two? If I have to make a sacrifice, I'd say ease of use for sake of learning would be where I want to start.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
The only one I can think of that I use is the Steam Crave Supreme V2 which is technically an RDTA but I only use it as an RTA.

It’s a great tank and once you get the coil position and wicking down it has fantastic flavor. I was pretty much a noobie when I got it but got it going. I had a couple of speed bumps but those videos and asking questions fixed it all.

The draw to me is a restricted DL to me anyways. I imagine with the airflow control closed down a bit would make it even tighter.

I can’t think of any more since I mostly use RDAs. Someone with more knowledge will be by soon I’m sure.

I think this may check off your list.

MVS has them for $39 but Fasttech has then for $28 if you don’t mind waiting 2-4 weeks.

Aromamizer Supreme V2 RDTA by Steam Crave - Rebuildable Drip Tank Atomizer

Last edited:

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
You mean 1 ohm? I'd search for the Pharaoh mini or the Serpent SMM. Both can be built around 1 ohm or lower, as low as you wish. They're middle of the road air, but you won't get as tight as MTL, it's more a restricted DL. The Pharaoh is a little tricky to wick but has the best flavor.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Welcome to ECF, Vape1048. I rarely (most probably never) recommend any particular mod or tank, so this might look like a recommendation but it's not.. ;)

I have both a Fumytech Gotank and an Ehpro/Naturevape True. I am happy with both of them. They are both MTL RTA's so they may not be of your desire. The True tank is slightly easier for me to mount a coil into, as it has both screws to grab the coil legs or one can use the 'clamps, I guess' to do that. The Gotank has only screws, but they have 'big heads'. Both tanks have bottom AF. I have never built a coil as low as a tenth of an ohm, and never will (in fact I once wrapped a coil that read out to slightly under 1 ohm (.8 or .9) so I added another couple or few wraps), so I don't know or care if they will go that low. To the best of my knowledge, the resistance of a coil depends only on whether the battery (or batteries) and the reg mod (if used) used will support that level. Definitely don't take my word on that though.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    I second the Digiflavor Pharaoh Mini, if you can find them.

I agree that wicking can be a little tricky though, but nowhere near as tricky as Geekvape Ammit 25. Now that is just a diva of a tank for wicking.

Also the Pharaoh Mini airflow is quite nice, a slightly restricted DTL vape. And building is relatively easy.

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
    Apr 30, 2019
    Gulf Coast, TX
    You mean 1 ohm? I'd search for the Pharaoh mini or the Serpent SMM. Both can be built around 1 ohm or lower, as low as you wish. They're middle of the road air, but you won't get as tight as MTL, it's more a restricted DL. The Pharaoh is a little tricky to wick but has the best flavor.

Lol yes I meant ohms. My bad. Fixed!

Thanks for suggestions! I will definitely look into these! A few of these I have looked at before (OFRF GEar and Ammit) but the rest are new to me, so will be sure to check them!

Also, a word about my ohm choices, I am mostly basing my subohm ratings based on the drop in coils I have now in a Falcon Kong and Mesh Pro tanks. They vary primarily between .11 and .38. I like it better on the lower end when I want a higher wattage, warmer vape, which is most of the time. So I am using .10 as basically a "bottom of the range" guesstimate. Atm I am liking a .16 triple coil. And the mod I will use (for now) will be an Aegis Legend, which has decent enough specs I think for most RDA/RTA uses (for my current needs).

Another thing, the reason I am steering away from RDAs is that I don't like the idea of having to rejuice all the time since I would rather like to be able to use this on the go, at work, etc, without having to worry about burning it cause I can't rejuice as needed. Not to say an RTA wouldn't be fine for home, but I am wanting something more all around for now.

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

tdman77

ECF Veteran
    Jan 12, 2019
    New Orleans
    @Vape1048, I think you have your attys mixed up.
    RDA = Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer
    RTA = Rebuildable Tank Atomizer

If you can afford a high end atty I highly recommend the Kayfun V5 Squared. I have multiple Kayfuns and love them. I have found that my best attys are designed for one or the other not both MTL and RDL vaping. A couple of RDL attys that I use which can be used for MTL also are the Manta MTL and the Fresia MTL tanks.

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
    Apr 30, 2019
    Gulf Coast, TX
    @Vape1048, I think you have your attys mixed up.
    RDA = Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer
    RTA = Rebuildable Tank Atomizer

If you can afford a high end atty I highly recommend the Kayfun V5 Squared. I have multiple Kayfuns and love them. I have found that my best attys are designed for one or the other not both MTL and RDL vaping. A couple of RDL attys that I use which can be used for MTL also are the Manta MTL and the Fresia MTL tanks.

No apparently I just can't type tonight.... I meant to say RDA. I know RTAs have a tank, hence why I want one. RDAs are the ones I see people dripping juice onto via videos I have watched. Forgive me, it's been a very long week of work.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    0.5 to 0.6 ohm range is nice @Vape1048, I was getting good results with a 0.68 ohm SS316L coil on an Ammit 25. But was also using TC with it, funny thing is Geekvape said that it couldn't be done. It worked fine, just the wicking is a right pain to get right with the Ammit 25.

Best thing about that, is your batteries last longer.

And no worries with RDA's, they only get really interesting with a Squonk mod. But that's another expense and the community is waiting to see if Dovpo release a Topside 21700 with a YiHi chipset. That would be interesting.

Susaz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 8, 2009
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Lol yes I meant ohms. My bad. Fixed!

Thanks for suggestions! I will definitely look into these! A few of these I have looked at before (OFRF GEar and Ammit) but the rest are new to me, so will be sure to check them!

Also, a word about my ohm choices, I am mostly basing my subohm ratings based on the drop in coils I have now in a Falcon Kong and Mesh Pro tanks. They vary primarily between .11 and .38. I like it better on the lower end when I want a higher wattage, warmer vape, which is most of the time. So I am using .10 as basically a "bottom of the range" guesstimate. Atm I am liking a .16 triple coil. And the mod I will use (for now) will be an Aegis Legend, which has decent enough specs I think for most RDA/RTA uses (for my current needs).

Another thing, the reason I am steering away from RDAs is that I don't like the idea of having to rejuice all the time since I would rather like to be able to use this on the go, at work, etc, without having to worry about burning it cause I can't rejuice as needed. Not to say an RTA wouldn't be fine for home, but I am wanting something more all around for now.
    Definitely check the SMM then. You'll love it!

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
    Apr 30, 2019
    Gulf Coast, TX
    So, looked at all the suggestions... I really like the pharaoh. I think that would be my best bet, but it's just not available anywhere in black or blue, which is what I need. :( The SMM looks good too, but I have issues with that drip tip design... OFRF GEar and the Crave also looks nice... getting closer to a decision at least. Maybe I shouldn't be so stuck on bottom AF design, but it's what I am used to.

tdman77

ECF Veteran
    Jan 12, 2019
    New Orleans
    @Vape1048 One of my considerations when picking up a RDL/DL atty is that it doesn't have JFC (Juice Control Flow. On these tanks I tend to have fill up more often than my MTL tanks. If you forget to turn off the JFC and try to fill it, you will have an instant leak. Not saying they are bad but after a few "accidents" I just avoid them. Even my loved KF Prime is now not used nearly as much since I picked up the KF Lite 19 for this reason.

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
    Apr 30, 2019
    Gulf Coast, TX
    @Vape1048 One of my considerations when picking up a RDL/DL atty is that it doesn't have JFC (Juice Control Flow. On these tanks I tend to have fill up more often than my MTL tanks. If you forget to turn off the JFC and try to fill it, you will have an instant leak. Not saying they are bad but after a few "accidents" I just avoid them. Even my loved KF Prime is now not used nearly as much since I picked up the KF Lite 19 for this reason.

Think I read that the pharaoh is more forgiving on that but that is a good point. After seeing some reviews on it, I think it's closest to what (I think) that I want. I managed to find both the mini and normal sized pharaohs after a lot of looking around. I ended up ordering the full size one since it is more customizable (good for learning I think?) although I plan to get the mini if I like this one. I don't think it comes with coils though, so I either need to get on making some, or more likely, I will just buy some alien or fused claptons to simply get the feel of things. I will have to just be careful when it comes to the juice ports just in case.

Thanks for the advice all! I'm learning a lot from this site!

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Hussar Coppervape clone?? (Fasttech, has an air flow reduce option) and many versions you'd want the single coil I'd think). Pretty inexpensive to try.

I might consider the Siren V2 it can do restricted lung with the right build although it is geared more to MTL. But airflow wide open and the right coil, I could see it working. It's a super easy build and wick.

If you get it wash it THROUGHLY because it comes chock full of machine oil and that taste isn't very pleasant. Although you should do that with any tank, etc. etc.

Anna

Vape1048

ECF Veteran
    Apr 30, 2019
    Gulf Coast, TX
    So... the two RTAs I ordered are coming from UK and are taking forever, plus or minus 5 days, to arrive, and here I was with all this cotton, premade coils, and a tool kit ready to go, wanting to put it in something and get going. So I said "screw it!". Went to a local shop I know the people at well that has a decent selection of RTAs and RDAs to see if anything looked promising. Saw one that I am somewhat familiar through reading, the Hellvape Rebirth. It had most of the characteristics I was looking for, albeit I knew that airflow was going to be a bit tighter than I wanted, it seemed like it'd be acceptable to build one.

Today was an adventure with it lol. I thought it was a single coil build, and I ended up doing that first on it with a staggered fused clapton I had. It went all right... but I couldn't get passed the harsh throat hit and consulted YT for answers. This is where I learned it was actually a 2 coil design using single posts! Oh boy, here we go! So my first attempt I used a pair of clapceptions. I had the hot legs too close together and one coil heated much better than the other. I figured out the legs were too close when I noticed the inside of the post getting hot. Whoops. So I took them out, re-thought it, re-bent a bit, put them back in, gradually warmed up the coils, got out hotspots.... Success!

Time to run and wick my cotton. Here is where I had some issues! So first attempt, not enough cotton... harsh hits and lot of leaks. Second attempt, too much cotton, not much vapor, lots of leaks. Grrrr. So I made 8 identical pieces of cotton by carefully cutting it off the wad for next attempts, and kept trying each bundle, adding some, removing some, until finally piece 6 and 7 seemed to be darn close. I was concerned it was too tight through the coil because it didn't seem to be wicking well... first few drags, good flavor, decent vapor... but then it stopped wicking and here came the leaks again.... sigh. Out came piece 6 and 7. This time I had an idea! I intentionally made one end a fair bit thinner than the other, leaving the far end fat and natural... slide the thin end through, worked it through until it kind of stopped itself. This seemed right. Brushed out both ends, cut them to go down into the wells... rewicked everything... did a few test fires with the cap off... cool, we're making favor! Took a drag... and not much vapor, but good flavor. Did a few more over next minutes, got some gurgling... then the leaks started again. At this point I was banging my head on my desk. Lol. But then it occurred to me... maybe the cotton is into the juice holes too tight. Pulled them out, cut them to just barely below the juice holes, snipped them into a point, put them back in more loosely... and I think I got it guys/gals! Been about an hour now and it's still working and not leaking!

However, I go have one concern... it's usually quiet, but every now and them I get a loud POP! and it scares the bejesus out of me lol. It's something to do with the heat and/or juice I think but I'd like some thoughts from ya'll vapers more experienced/smarter than me as to what it is and how to fix it?

Fwiw, my coils ohm out at .29, running at 55W, which peaks at around 4v and 12-13 amps. Mod is an Aegis Legend.

Thanks for reading this extra length story time!

Attachments

• 20190528_212149.jpg
      20190528_212149.jpg
      314.4 KB · Views: 7
    Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread