Status
Not open for further replies.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
This might have been covered before, but I didn't see a sticky for it. Is there a recommended list of items out there that one should buy/have when attempting their DIY?

The current items I've got seem like they could use some improvement on: 1ml pipette, 3ml pipette, 2ml screw top dropper, 30ml measuring cup. Got 1ml, 6ml and 12ml syringes, but never did figure out if it accounts for the fluid in the length of needle tip or not when drawing fluid up into the syringe (don't think it does), so I've left those alone for now.

I've been thinking about perhaps buying polypro graduated cylinders (like a 5ml, 10ml, 25ml and 50ml), or the tiny 1ml glass dropper (that has .1ml markings), or anything like that which would increase my accuracy, or is just a good thing to have available. I've got gross measurements down pretty easy (like lets say, make 30ml's of XYZ), but trying to get more precise at the very small quantities (like when you are trying to make a new recipe, and only want to make 5ml's or less and need oddball measurements of flavor %'s)

Advice is most welcome in my efforts to be precise with either the equipment I'm using, or even technique advice on how to properly measure using different things, or links to threads that have already discussed this (so I can read up on it myself)... It's been a long time since high school chemistry/science classes, and I don't measure stuff like this at work. Thanks in advance!

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND

MasteroftheVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Columbia, IL, USA
just so everyone knows, syringes do not account for needle volume. That would be impossible because different size needles have different volumes. an average 1.5" 18guage contains .08ml of juice.

On a side note, if the juice is drawn all the way to the plunger "no air bubbles in syringe, when you push the plunger down, the contents of the needle will not empty, the liquid will stay suspended in the needle unless you draw air into the syringe and push the plunger again, thus the measurements on the syringe are 100% accurate given there is no air inside.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I've been thinking about perhaps buying polypro graduated cylinders (like a 5ml, 10ml, 25ml and 50ml)...

Using a Graduated Cylinder makes Mixing PG, VG and Nicotine Base a Snap. And only One thing to Wash.

But they are Not so Hot for Measuring Flavoring.

For Flavoring, you kinda have to Go Down the Syring or the Drop or the Weight Scale road.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
just so everyone knows, syringes do not account for needle volume. That would be impossible because different size needles have different volumes. an average 1.5" 18guage contains .08ml of juice.

On a side note, if the juice is drawn all the way to the plunger "no air bubbles in syringe, when you push the plunger down, the contents of the needle will not empty, the liquid will stay suspended in the needle unless you draw air into the syringe and push the plunger again, thus the measurements on the syringe are 100% accurate given there is no air inside.

I didn't think about the needle not completely draining when pushing liquid out. That is a VERY good point, and I needed to see that written out, thank you for that logic. I think I'll be much more comfortable in using syringes with blunt needle tips now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
I use this to measure flavoring. I use the smaller Pipette Pump and both the one ml pipette and two ml pipette (if making larger batches). Inexpensive yet extremely accurate!
Pipette Pump - One Stop DIY Shop Store

It's really that much more accurate than a syringe or disposable pipettes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
It's really that much more accurate than a syringe or disposable pipettes?

Way more precise than disposable pipettes and more precise than most syringes.

Ha! Thank you much Mr. Danny, I just was looking around some more, and saw your blog as you had posted it on another thread. Your blog should be a sticky here on this DIY forum, would save lots of time!

If you had seen all the questions on this sub that are already answered in the sticky's, you might be like me and realize it doesn't really matter if you blog DIY stuff, like dannyv45 and I, or if it is in the sticky's... (I've even seen a thread asking how to find the sticky's on the DIY sub in the DIY sub)

I think the blogs work just as well...but I'm crazy that way.

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
My 1ml syringes are graduated every 0.02ml (2/100th or 1/50th of a ml) and work pretty well, but I see many people post who's 1ml syringes are marked every 0.1ml (1/10th).

I have some recipes I cannot mix smaller than 15ml because it would require measuring less than 0.02ml of a flavoring. (And even at 0.02ml, the syringe isn't the most precise thing I could use, but it as long as it keeps working for me, I'll keep using them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread