Recycling for Disposables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxVixeNVapoRxx

May 20, 2020
Sin City Nevada
Hello Everyone!

Me again, so … I went through these threads and forums and I really was looking for a Recycle option for this pile of Disposables that I have.. Does anyone know if stores? or Places that would recycle these things because I feel like they are stupid bad for the environment and I would like to keep them OUT of a landfill if possible? I mean does anyone know if the insides can be salvaged for something that can be used again? mmm… Does anyone know a maker of these that has a Option to send it back once your done?

Thanks for the help xoxo :wub:

xxVixeNVapoRxx

May 20, 2020
Sin City Nevada
Why do you think they're "stupid bad" for the environment? Li-ion batteries don't contain any particularly hazardous substances like lead or cadmium.

What would you say is the Amount of time for them to Break down, other question, would you bury them in your backyard, grow vegetables on them, then eat those vegetables and not worry about toxins? Just want to see how far you want it to be before it's Hazardous to You in general?

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
What would you say is the Amount of time for them to Break down, other question, would you bury them in your backyard, grow vegetables on them, then eat those vegetables and not worry about toxins? Just want to see how far you want it to be before it's Hazardous to You in general?
I don't know of anyone growing vegetables on a landfill. :)

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
If you're really concerned about recycling, don't buy disposable anything, especially e cigs.

With disposable e cigs the problem is no one is going to take the time to disassemble & sort the battery from the metallic & plastic pieces.
The labor costs alone prevent many things that are recycle by the public from actually being recycled.
The recycle value of a couple hundred thousand disposable e cigs is probably less than $40.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Unfortunately, we live in a disposable world.People trip on you asking (and paying" for plastic bags at the store, but don't give a second thought about all the plastic packaging, ect they toss away (even if your city has the recycle bins you would be surprised how much just ends up in the trash) Then there's the "litter" issue... people toss pods , disposables all over the place. Good for you for trying to do the right things but it really won't help. I have thought (for many years) that grocery stores should have more bulk items and a way to re-use containers for these food items. What about styrofoam... used in packing and other things (my wife worked at an outdoor school in the mountains (like a summer camp) They had this chart and it showed how long things take to break down (styrofoam was top of the list of evils... 2000 years!) Most people fool themselves thinking they are saving the Earth and doing the right thing. I do care too but realized a long time ago that we need some BIG changes to even make a dent in the "trash" situation. Peace out, vape on!

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
If you're really concerned about recycling, don't buy disposable anything, especially e cigs.

With disposable e cigs the problem is no one is going to take the time to disassemble & sort the battery from the metallic & plastic pieces.
The labor costs alone prevent many things that are recycle by the public from actually being recycled.
The recycle value of a couple hundred thousand disposable e cigs is probably less than $40.
That's the problem... not a realistic project (I have seen documentaries that discussed this... how it's very hard to sort the materials and make it a workable solution) And yes, I've seen how much plastic is floating around in the oceans... makes me sick.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yep. My entire contribution to the waste stream from vaping is a small tuft of rayon once a month or so, and a tiny bit of harmless metal (Kanthal) a few times per year. I DIY my liquid and re-use the glass bottles over and over.

xxVixeNVapoRxx

May 20, 2020
Sin City Nevada

But they are so convenient …. ughhhhh… :(

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I grew a placenta tree once, does that count?????

I'm sorry. No, there is no one gardening on like, uh, landfills that they know of probably.

But I mean that doesn't mean (and I'm not even a dang environmentalist) that we aren't uh, doing horrible, horrible things to the environment all the time now... There is no need to "carry over" that habit from cigarettes to vaping. I am not a fan of disposable vapes any more than I was a fan of disposable cigarettes.

I mean, one pack for life? COUNT ME IN.

Anna

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
It surprised me when Innokin bought out their disposable GO tanks recently. Seems like a step backwards...
I've accepted the fact that consumption and waste will increase until humanity kills itself. On a recent trip to the US i was gobsmacked at the amount of one-use plastics in evidence (the hotel i stayed in used plastic crockery and cutlery and encouraged guests to dispose of them in the trash after one use). Cheaper restaurants likewise.
In a lot of countries where space is at a premium, todays landfill is tomorrows housing estate. In the UK we have houses where you are forbidden from growing fruit and vegetables in the garden because the ground is too polluted :(
I agree with you xxVixeNVapoRxx

Sorry if this came out a bit 'ranty' - i'll go and have a coffee (in a ceramic cup).

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Hello Everyone!

Me again, so … I went through these threads and forums and I really was looking for a Recycle option for this pile of Disposables that I have.. Does anyone know if stores? or Places that would recycle these things because I feel like they are stupid bad for the environment and I would like to keep them OUT of a landfill if possible? I mean does anyone know if the insides can be salvaged for something that can be used again? mmm… Does anyone know a maker of these that has a Option to send it back once your done?

Thanks for the help xoxo :wub:
I haven't done it myself because I'm actually still using the same two that I started using back in December maybe but the freemax gem had on it specifically that it was recyclable. Like that was something that they were advertising for. Because a lot of people are concerned about plastic waste and there's also a battery thing which sometimes there can be problems with like in a trash compactor but I don't know enough to say when that's a problem..

I would actually call up your local municipality whoever handles trash like if you have a dump near by they might have some information on what you can do if they're all the same disposable there might be something indicating what kind of plastic but maybe not because it is sort of an unregulated industry. I'm fairly certain that they would at least be willing to dispose of the batteries but sometimes you have to pay.

There was a company a while back that did something where after you had a certain number of them you can actually turn them back in in exchange for like a discount code or something which I thought was really cool I can't remember who that was. I think it's very reasonable to be concerned about just over all waste production and I don't think it's silly at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread