Status
Not open for further replies.

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
That does sound tasty. Do you think it would go with Vanilla Bourbon or Brandy? Have you considered mixing that with another tobacco flavor?

I have some brandy I have not tried yet. was actually thinking of mixing a cream with it. I think it would go fine with vanilla bourbon. I just got some tobacco flavors and may give it a try. I'm new to diy by the way.

Last edited:

Lemonaid

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Idaho
VA fire cured, oakwood (or hickory), and a bit of caramel cream. Very intrigued by this red oak thing... will have to pick some up

I just received some FA black fire which I hear is somewhat similar to the VA fire cured. (not sure) trying to figure out what to do with it. My first impresion is really really strong and dominate mesquite smoke...I like this idea of adding the oak wood and maybe catalan cream... still waiting for the red oak...wizard order so hoping not too delayed.

Lemonaid

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Idaho
I'm curious about so-called Tennessee Cured TB. Never tried it and haven't seen a concentrate. Anyone have any info? Sorry OP, not trying to hijack the thread. I just was wondering if Oakwood could be used in that process.

No worries love to hear from people and expand the conversation. haven't seen the Tennessee Cured .

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I wouldn't go over 3% at first. See how you like it before upping the percentage. Cpt. Black is a strong flavor and too much can give you the wrong impression.

just curious what % are your mixing your captain black? my notes are showing suggestions all over the map.

Lemonaid

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Idaho
I wouldn't go over 3% at first. See how you like it before upping the percentage. Cpt. Black is a strong flavor and too much can give you the wrong impression.

Thanks, must pick up load of little mixing bottles !! I have about 10 more flavors on order.... Today's winner was well steeped TFA RY4 which has been ok but not really exciting overall, mixed with some pre steeped green apple and only steeped for a day, oak wood (couldn't wait to try a little). but it's very nice. Really liking this Oak wood. Can only hope the Red oak has equally exciting aspects.

Starlyte2

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2012
Carcassonne, France
Hey you never know. When I discovered Oba-Oba goes with almost anything and is pretty good all by itself I was surprised. Capt. Black on the other hand is a tricky fellow and you have to treat him with respect or he'll punch you in the taste buds really bad. Latakia and her sister Perique are bit...s to get right. I'm hoping I get a decent Latakia recipe, really like the taste.

Fascinated by Oba-Oba ;) What's a % for a strongish taste on its own, please? Saw it for sale, but didn't take the chance?
On the other hand, I put a few drops of Oak Wood- FA- with tobaccos, gives it an earthy taste.
Also Smoked Hickory flavour, as the name describes. BUT in really drop, if you have 20 pour a ml, doses, very, very, sparingly. But I know what they use in cheap smoked herrings now ;) Does give a smoky taste, if you get the dose right. To be experimented with, the end result, as with oak, could well be worth the hassle.
Happy mixing, and, as we all hope, good vaping ;D

-

Last edited:

Lemonaid

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Idaho
Also Smoked Hickory flavour, as the name describes. BUT in really drop, if you have 20 pour a ml, doses, very, very, sparingly. But I know what they use in cheap smoked herrings now ;) Does give a smoky taste, if you get the dose right.
-

Thanks for the tip on Hickory Smoke (TFA) I ordered that one as well.
My boyfriend likes and has requested kettle corn but he likes the burnt kernels- not sure how I replicate that...considered the Hickory smoke with the Kettle corn..or...weirdly, Black Cherry sometimes tastes burnt..

Last edited:

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Got some of this Red Oak in the other day, so I'll be joining you all in the taste adventure!

Smells and taste like there's some coconut and vanilla in there to me, mmmmmmmmmm! That's just tasting on a toothpick though, gonna mix up some here in a few minutes, maybe mix some into a DRY4 to steep too.

Starlyte2

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2012
Carcassonne, France
I have some Oak Wood from FlavorArt. Really nice sweet smell. I've only used it with Kentucky Bourbon. The two just seemed to go together in my mind. The result is a good vape. Good luck

Now that's an idea ;) . I've only used Oakwood as a flavour lifter with VFC and other 'plain' tobaccos, when I've been trying to change the taste. It's earthy, for me and sweetish, if you see what I mean... again, so subjective. Must try out the Red Oak, maybe??? :)

Starlyte2

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2012
Carcassonne, France
For a strong Oba-Oba I'd go 8-10%. If you want a nice vape. Try mixing it with 7 Leaves and Hypno. Oba 40%/ 7 Leaves 30%/Hypno 30%.

I have tried Hickory Smoke in a recommended recipe. I wasn't impressed, but I'm not sure if it was the Hickory or the mix itself.

I tried Hickory Smoke too, you need really small, tiny amounts, or it is TOO MUCH :(

Aurora-Oblivion

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Isle of the Wizards
Tested this out at 5%, and that's a bit weak to me so I'm going to up it to 8-10% before I make any decisions on what to mix in with it. At 5% it's an OK light flavor, you can taste the Oak wood and tobacco, with a faint hint of sweet vanilla and coconut.

Will report back with 8-10% findings sometime soon. I'm thinking for many this would be a great mixer, and for anyone wanting to use it plain you main need to sweeten and / or smooth it out, probably would go great with a light nutty flavor added as well.

I'm considering mixing it with some Double RY4 (TFA), and maybe another mix with some Creamy Vanilla Nut (FW), and then maybe a third with both

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread