Status
Not open for further replies.

x3Raptor

Mar 26, 2013
Okla USA
Hello guys, I'm new here and I like to ask everyone one simple question, What do you prefer? a regulated mod like an ego style battery or the Vamo, the provari, zmax etc. Or a mechanical mod; like The GG, the carabela, Chi-you, Gus, the 69, smoktech telescope etc. etc.

what do you use or like and why? also, how much is you average spending on mods. thanks !!!!

aPandaz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2013
Walnut, CA
I like mechanicals because I like low resistance vaping. I like tinkering with my wick and coil builds. I like that I get way more flavor from RBA's. I am currently using a Mortar v5 with an IGO-L. I like switching flavors and the dripping atty allows me to do that. I love genesis attys as well, currently have a Mac 350 hybrid, and an AGA-S. I'm waiting for some more toys to come through.

Cooterjohnson

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2012
Kodiak AK/Tucson AZ
It all depends on my setup you can get the same experience from a provari tank/carto setup as you can with a mechanical mod and a z-atty u (or any rba for that matter) wrapped with 0.8 ohm coil Clouds of vapor on both just one takes more experience to get the results you want. I honestly like having both around. And both actually cost about the same.

StevesCVO

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Clown School
I like both but for different reasons. I love my Zen hybrids for the small form factor but also like the eVic for being able to use different atty's, clearos and cartos. Vape drops on the Zen after a while as the battery runs down. Regulated keeps a consistant vape. Mechanicals can run sub 1 ohm coils, regulated mods can't. It all depends on what your looking for.

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
I prefer mechs because I consider it a weakness to have technology in my mod. Anything I've ever bought or built with it is broken now. Today's tech is disposable and a mech will virtually last forever. If something breaks I can probably fix it myself without sending it away. Aesthetically, I don't want a light saber in my face, it's not worth it to me just to have a multimeter crammed into my mod, I have enough of those already and enough understanding and background to troubleshoot without it. I just like the simplicity and longevity of mechs, would rather spend a ton of money on it looking sexy than having loads of features.

StevesCVO

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Clown School
I prefer mechs because I consider it a weakness to have technology in my mod. Anything I've ever bought or built with it is broken now. Today's tech is disposable and a mech will virtually last forever. If something breaks I can probably fix it myself without sending it away. Aesthetically, I don't want a light saber in my face, it's not worth it to me just to have a multimeter crammed into my mod, I have enough of those already and enough understanding and background to troubleshoot without it. I just like the simplicity and longevity of mechs, would rather spend a ton of money on it looking sexy than having loads of features.

I like the much smaller form factor of the hybrids. Not hard to ohm a coil and figure watts if your going to be vaping the same juice all day. Not much can go wrong with a mech. And like you said, they are just damn sexy.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I like both too, just for the variety.
Currently I have a Vmod, ego batteries (one is VV), plus nova heads and an aga t2 for when I get a vamo next month.

Just like to have the option of different delivery systems/variable voltage/rebuildable coils/different wicking materials and sometimes just simplicity.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas

What they said! Besides, I'm not a fiddler. I can be if I need to, but it's not something I enjoy. I'm also perfectly happy with standard volts and 2.4 ohms. Give me something that works straight out of the box and lasts.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I'd rather have the consistency of voltage regulated mods and the ease of replacing it for $20.00. Also, as I use box mods, they can't "go boom", I can use protected batteries, and get more mAh out of em. The voltage regulator has short circuit protection on top of that.

Long term maintenance of all mech mods is still necessary. So if I went that route I'd have to order 5 of everything just to make sure I had spare parts when a mom-and-pop-pv-shop one-off goes out of business. So...the argument that all-mech is better fails me, I guess. I know arcing will make the button fail eventually since they run all power through it. Not to mention the connector wearing out.

So I'd rather have the options/features and replace a $20 or $30 dollar e-cig once a year. Then I'm staying current too. Of course, you can spend more, but I don't.

Whatever you have now...give it 3 years...you probably won't be using it.

:2c:

EDIT: Plus...(and this is totally personal preference)...I hate, hate, hate bottom button mods. Not all mech-mods are bottom button, but enough are that I would have limited options.

Last edited:

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
The thing is though Atty, every internal part in my Natural can be picked up at a hardware store, short of the 510 connector of course. Otherwise, it's a spring, some screws and a couple of insulator caps basically. Battery touches screw A, button uses spring to press on screw B which causes it to rise and touch the bottom of the battery, battery fires sending energy through screw A and into the connector. I'm asking simply because I'm curious, short of the obvious battery problems or a spring failure, what else could go wrong?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Mechanically, not much if you can replace the screw that the button contacts. However, if the button is an internal contact, then...yeah. Still, the connector can wear and the PV has no short protection.

On the plus side...you're set for the vaping Apocalypse.

I don't hate all mech mods. I just don't see why I need to give up features like VV. But to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread