Relaxing with a good book

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc3po

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Texas
It's summer and I have decided that this year I will kick it back and relax while vaping, or vaping while relaxing depending on the point of view. Anyway I need recommendations for good books from any genre, since I would like to do something new. The only condition is that the book must be vaping friendly :D

Any ideas ?

"The Creature from Jekyll Island", by G. Edward Griffin. And/Or, "Icons of Evolution", by Jonathan Wells.

WickedSick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2011
USA
..."Icons of Evolution", by Jonathan Wells...
I will most definitely check that out

..."The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice ...
Since I have read The Stand (also among my favorites) I will take a look at this one. I know the author and I know she is good , but I have never had the chance to read any of her books.

"Player Piano" by Kurt Vonnegut
Vonnegut is one of the few sci-fi authors with books that really never get old. And I haven't read this one so it is going on the list.

Philip K ..... - I can talk for hours about the genius of this man. The fact he has a lot of his books turned into highly successful movies is just another reason for people to read his books :D.

Since I have posted this thread I have almost completed Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel and The Mote into God's Eye by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven, which are incredible books. Since I am devouring them your recommendations will soon find their way into my Kindle. :D

Thank you, if anything else come to mind please share :)

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
eBookDaily - Free Kindle Books. EVERY DAY!

Since subscribing to this, I have rarely visited the library. They range from the abysmal to the sublime. Except for "reprints" of classics (mostly in religion) they are all by obscure authors, trying to get recognition in the marketplace.

Jared Diamond's books are awesome!!

Which reminds me, I need to wake up my Kindle to receive some new selections. I have been making teddy bears lately, and need a break.

WickedSick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2011
USA
...Jared Diamond's books are awesome!!....

I agree, after Guns, Germs and Steel I hoped right away on Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed and it blew my mind. It is no wonder that this guy has a Pulitzer. But sadly since I read it I haven't had much time for any other literately incursions, but I will try to make it up in the following days :)

EricRichter

May 26, 2014
Washington
Dune by Frank Herbert. Frederick Forsyth if you want some really interesting espionage-thrillers. :) Heck, there are hundreds of thousands of wonderful books, many of which you can find online for free (especially older ones, for which the copyrights have expired). Huckleberry Finn, if you want to immerse yourself in Mark Twain's amazing ability of world-building and conjuring up a very real-feeling situation right in front of your (mind's) eyes.

One of my favourite all time books is Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Its a bit different from your average novel as its written as diary entries made by a man with severely low IQ who undergoes experimental treatment to improve it. The story is then told as much through the general reading of the book as it is by the characters writing and language.

Another favourite is the Nightside series by Simon R Green. These are horror/sic fi mixed with detective novels and are written really well with a stroke of humour. All about a private investigator who works within a secret world under our own that is the place for demons and rejects to go. Funny, fast paced and nothing like what I would usually read but amazing all the same. Really easy reads too but it doesn't make them any less satisfying.

if you like psychology I can recommend a few psychology based books, but currently I am just starting to The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared by Jonas jonasson

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

Since subscribing to this, I have rarely visited the library. They range from the abysmal to the sublime. Except for "reprints" of classics (mostly in religion) they are all by obscure authors, trying to get recognition in the marketplace.

Jared Diamond's books are awesome!!

Which reminds me, I need to wake up my Kindle to receive some new selections. I have been making teddy bears lately, and need a break.

Thanks, 0MG, for another kindle link. Here are some of my links-
    Free SYNC Downloads » SYNC
    Free Kindle eBooks | Religion & Spirituality |
    Download eBook | ManyBooks.net

And for fellow Christians using audio books-
    Free Downloads on christianaudio - Christian Audio! Audiobook Download, Monthly Sale and Free Book

Leothwyn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 7, 2011
    N. California
    www.ci-studios.com
    Since I have posted this thread I have almost completed Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel and The Mote into God's Eye by Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven, which are incredible books. Since I am devouring them your recommendations will soon find their way into my Kindle. :D

If you like Larry Niven, you might also like Vernor Vinge... A Fire Upon the Deep (bk1) and A Deepness in the Sky (bk2).

As a fellow Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) fan, I'll recommend a couple of my other favorite fantasy series. Both are similar to GoT in some ways - well developed characters and worlds, and more of an alternate medieval setting rather than the old standard Middle Earth clone (elves, dwarves, wizards, and halflings out to stop the dark lord).

First Law Trilogy, by Joe Abercrombie. Great characters and story. Lots of action, but pretty dark (and bloody).

Farseer Trilogy, by Robin Hobb. Characters are very interesting and complex... because of the amount of time spent on the characters, it is a bit slow paced compared to GoT and First Law. Not at all boring though. It's a great story, and I really enjoyed it. It continues with the Liveship trilogy and then more Farseer books.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread