Remember when?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
Hey, remember when your batteries only lasted an hour and a half? Or when you used blue aquarium foam as filer? LOL
I have spent some time digging out my archive mods and devices since we moved to the store location and the newer vapors are having a hard time believing a few of these things!
They think they have it bad now when their tank only holds 3ml of eliquid or the batteries only last a day! We had to add juice every 10 minutes!
Here's a good one...remember the mod made from the HUGE pencil sharpener? Yes, I have one! I think it was called the Vape Zilla or something like that. LOL
Anyone got pic of OLD items? I'm gonna take some pics of these things later today, some of you won't even believe it!

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
Anyone remember these?
IMG_0041.jpg First Nicobox
IMG_0042.jpg IMG_0043.jpg IMG_0044.jpg IMG_0045.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I still have a bag of Walmart polyfill and a large sheet of blue foam Fluval aquarium filter material. You had to be careful not to buy the white polyfill that had the California approval on the label. It had chemicals in it that would prevent ignition in the case of a sofa fire. It's the white stuff that you find in some pillows today. We stuffed 510 carts with it to replace the cottony material that came in them.

Blue Fluval was never a really great filler. It's redeeming quality was that it was springy and pushed back against the mesh bridge of the initial 510 atomizers. Polyfill and cotton would relax and cause dry vapes.

Vapors have come a long way since 2009-2010.

Fluval - a flat sheet of fiber used in aquarium filters
47401000.jpg

To get more juice in the cart, you cut a piece of drink stirrer and mounted the fluval on the end.
86458271.jpg

Then you slid it into the cart.
Foam6.jpg

Polyfill - A $3.99 bag would last a group of vapors a lifetime and still have enough left for the next generation
poly+fill.jpg

Polyfill out of the bag
polyfill09.jpg

Filling a 510 cart. We probably absorbed as much nic through our fingers as we did from vaping.
p5280735.jpg

Last edited:

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
That's so funny to look back at all we had! What? Maybe a half ml of eliquid? Who would have ever thought we'd have cartos that hold 3-5 ml? As quickly as things change, the newbs today will look back some day and say the same things. LOL
Oh ya, I forgot...I walked barefoot up a huge hill in snow to get to school when I was a kid. hehe

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Unfortunately i deleted pictures from 2010 while back.
Here was a megladon (short mode 18350) in stainless option i used for while then sold .
Some homemade vv box mods i made.
Acorn tanks.
Ego battery
Store bought e-liquid - not anymore though . lol
Wife still uses the ego setup although "C" version - hardheaded woman !

My first venture with rebuildables was a scubbatsanv3 it held a whopping 7/8 ml of liquid - sorry no pictures.
With that is when i learned how to oxidize stainless mesh and make a coil.
Sold it also and kinda miss it. A romantic !

Fast forward to 2012 the original DID20 with Kir Fanis clear tank also have all the stainless tanks
(my all time favorite -have 5) with stainless mesh and DIY e-liquid -yes machined for screw down caps airhole to line up perfectly with wick by the manufacturer.
Upgraded the positive post and nuts to stainless from manufacturer instead of brass.
All i vape with DID'S and vv/vw devices and my DIY with lifetimne supply of Nic in freezer/Mesh/Kanthal.

dieseler-albums-album-2-picture69761-don-ego-batt-vv-mod-box-50ml.jpg

dieseler-albums-emotions-2-picture148292-100mm-400ss-mesh.jpg

dieseler-albums-emotions-2-picture159419-picture-026-large.jpg

dieseler-albums-emotions-2-picture135632-vv-box-mod-2.jpg

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Here was a megladon (short mode 18350) in stainless option i used for while then sold .
Acorn tanks.
Ego battery

My first venture with rebuildables was a scubbatsanv3 it held a whopping 7/8 ml of liquid - sorry no pictures.

Fast forward to 2012 the original DID20 with Kir Fanis clear tank also have all the stainless tanks
(my all time favorite -have 5) with stainless mesh and DIY e-liquid -yes machined for screw down caps airhole to line up perfectly with wick by the manufacturer.
Upgraded the positive post and nuts to stainless from manufacturer instead of brass.
All i vape with DID'S and vv/vw devices and my DIY with lifetimne supply of Nic in freezer/Mesh/Kanthal.

I remember your Megalodon. Still have mine and it looks and fires as great as the day I bought it. GREAT to see you here Dieseler :thumbs:

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Acorn tanks.
Ego battery
Store bought e-liquid - not anymore though . lol

You were cutting edge back then. I remember all the threads for the first re-coiled head. Everyone watched the progress and I remember thinking that it looked like too much work. As I remember, you and others were tearing apart atomizers, taking the metal tube off, and rewinding the coils on them, too.

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Thanks Vapoor and Dave -
yes it was fun and still is - making mesh coil now is easy peasy and still use the stove to oxidze the mesh as old habits hard to break.
Thats all i vape with.
Probably would burn house down with one of those torch things that most use nowadays. lol

lol yeah the batteries !
now like Stormy mention we complain about once a day .
Stormy i make trip to downstairs bathroom -have charger by sink , wifey still uses the ego system so i
put hers on her charger and i use 18350 when out and about and the 18650 when home and wait until a pair needs charging.

Yesterday eve unscrewed her little simple ego charger as the threaded end started to wiggle when screwing the battery on
nothing like a little JB Weld to fix the problem.
I know i know there cheap and the Mrs has a spare also but i still tinker here and there.

Good while back i opened up a trustfire charger to try and figure out why the light would flicker off and on
well i plug it in and it worked fine hmm i thought let me see if something is loose then it zapped me - DUH !
Tossed in garbage and bought a good one.

Want to mod a vamo in half from pictures + diagram i saw from another vapor that did it. ; )

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I stopped in Stormy's for a couple of batteries Saturday afternoon. The place was PACKED! I spotted Carolyn behind the counter right after her current customer walked away and got instant service!

FWIW, the Efest 18650 2250mah IMR hybrid batts I bought are doing an excellent job. I stuck them in my Nitecore I4 when I got home and they charged perfectly to 4.2v unloaded and a 4.1v reading under load in my Provari. About 11pm Saturday night I put one in my Provari. When it finally reached 3.4v it was 7pm Sunday! The second one has been in my Provari for about 9 vaping hours and has just reached 3.5v.

My two year old AW 18650 2000mah IMR batts had reached the point where they were dying in about 4 hours. It was time for some replacements!

ETA: Yes, I remember when vaping took me to Walmart for fiberfill and to the aquarium store for Fluval foam and to the grocery store for plastic drink stirrers!

Batteries were 180mah and lasted about 2 hours vaping if you were lucky.

Last edited:

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
LOL, that's funny because there are a lot of new folks that think I'm crazy! Every now and then I pull the old stuff out and show my staff what we used every day! They think I'm ancient but they like seeing where we all came from. There aren't too many that I've seen that have vaped 4+ years. I'll be celebrating 5 years in May and it seems like just yesterday. :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread