Removing bridge and wick from 510..WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ngspotts

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2010
Mission Viejo, CA
I just watched a Video on YouTube on how to remove the wick and the bridge from 510 atty for dripping and holy cow what a massive difference. I drip about 3-4 drops directly on the coil and wow. Great flavor and vapor. This is working great for me until I get my SB. Anyone else have any similair expiriences?

Last edited:

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
I have done this with almost all my atties. In fact it's a great solution for that bad tasting atty as well. The flavors get stuck in the wick and bridge and it's such a pain to get them out. Also when I am changing flavors it's much nicer. I have not killed one yet doing this and I have saved a couple that I would have tossed out of frustration.

midnightonmars

Jun 8, 2010
IL
One of my attys was clogged, horrible tasting and seemingly unusable (I'd pulled the wick out they day after I got my kit thinking it was stuck filler or something and had stuck it back in with a paperclip). Well today, after reading this, I pulled the wick back out, gave direct dripping a go and...WHOA...it's back in business!! And to think I was about to throw this thing away. Thank you guys!!

PaulB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2010
Virginia
I've had the same atty in heavy rotation for over a month since I yanked mine, and it works great. I do think it makes it extra important not to over-drip (i.e., just 2-3 drops) as there's no bridge wicking to soak up excess. Another thing I like about it is you can see what's going on with the coil if you're doing a dry-burn.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Not a good idea for newbies - stupid even - if you're just starting out. The regular 510 atty is a great atty for vapor in it's present state and you can find cart mods that will help last longer than dripping. You ruin the atomizer for that by even removing just the wicking.

Just buy a 1.5ohm 510 LR atty instead. Even better vapor than the 2.1-2.3ohm regular atty and you can drip all you want.

I also did this to a 'burnt atty' that I just could not do anything about the foul taste I got every time I fired it up. Did it with no problems and since I spend a fair amount of my vaping time dripping I figured I had nothing to lose.

For those of you that report much better vapor production, I offer my congratulations. Personally I got less vapor production from mine. I also found it was very easy to flood, not to mention that as soon as the ejuice was nearly burned off, the vape was harsh and bitter.

I realize that this could be attributed to the poor state the atty was in before I removed the wick & bridge. And certainly it gave some added life to a component whose next destination was the garbage can, not to mention that it did help tide me over until my new attys arrived.

But I just can't bring myself to make this mod to a perfectly functioning new atty. I do have a couple of attys that I removed the wicking from, mostly to cut down on the flavor retention factor, since I tend to rotate flavors every 3-4 drips when I am chain vaping. I'm not sure I would say that they produce more vapor this way, but since I usually run between 20-30% VG in my juice, it's pretty hard to tell if it is a little more or a little less, since it is always a little more, no matter which atty I am using.

In any event, I still have the cannibalized atty, and it still works, but it spends it's days as a sort of break-glass-in-emergency backup should all my other attys suddenly up and die on me all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread