Status
Not open for further replies.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
vaping is all about safety first, so that is a very bad idea IMO. I can't agree with it as it misleads those new to vaping who read it and don't know the possible pitfalls of doing it.

People are not perfect, do make mistakes, get lackadaisical or distracted when they do things. So a problem with doing this can happen to anyone, even those who know the pit falls. Rob was also against this practice.

The magnet can slide and bridge the gap between the positive post and negative case, a short that could lead to a white hot battery venting if there is damage to the battery tops wrap/insulator. It's foolhardy to think it will never happen.

Some battery wraps/insulators can get damaged easily because they are lower quality than others, can get damaged/chipped in spring bar type battery chargers. So I have a large stash of IMR brand insulators and wraps in the appropriate colors (top quality), and bought a heat gun to maintain my batteries in a safe state. Of my batteries those that are easily damaged by my Nitecore D4's and the LUC's are the LG HG2's especially as they have very brittle wraps, and the Sammy 25R's. So I charge them on an Old Skol Xtar WP6 and WP2 II's instead where they can't get damaged by the charger.

YMMV

Had no idea.. never had some short or slide around on the battery. Even put it on my charger with the battery and never an issue but something to think about.

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
LG H2 3000mah flat tops recently and they're fine batteries for my tactical flashlights but I've found that I don't like flat tops in my REO Grands. Too long of a throw for the positive post, I guess. Just doesn't feel right. Any thoughts?
FT has LG HG2's with button top at USD22.87 for four pieces. Haven't tried them myself (yet).
$22.87 Authentic LG 18650HG2 3.6V 3000mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery (4-Pack) - 20A continuous discharge / 30A peak current / unprotected / button top at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
@Rule62
@SteamStack

When safety is involved with a decision to do something outside the box in vaping it is always prudent to make an informed decision. That was the only intent of my previous post, to advise what the very real possible pitfalls of this practice are.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
@Rule62
@SteamStack

When safety is involved with a decision to do something outside the box in vaping it is always prudent to make an informed decision. That was the only intent of my previous post, to advise what the very real possible pitfalls of this practice are.

Agreed. That's why I rarely do it. I stick with AWs in Grands. In the rare event that I do, I use magnets that are the correct diameter, so that they can't slide. In general though, I don't think it's a good practice. I understand why Rob discouraged the practice. The Grand was designed to be used with button tops.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Reactions: Kenna

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I wouldn't trust FT for that, but that's just me.

Agree. I'd never buy batts (and very few other things) direct from China where clones of anything that are called authentic is a standard way of doing business there.

I will only buy my batts from three suppliers here in the US that I know I can always trust to only sell me authentic.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Reactions: Slots

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Those are re-wrapped with a button soldered to the flattop. They are TOO LONG to be safe in our REOS. They mash the spring down too much. (I know this because I got some and ended up pulling the wrapping and button top off and re-wrapping them myself. Ugh!!)

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
www.rtdvapor.com sells all kinds of batteries and since the guy running it is a REO user, he has what we need. Not sure how his prices compare, but I can totally vouch for the quality and authenticity.
Yes, he's top-notch. RTD is where I've purchased all my AW batteries. I actually looked there to see if any alternative button tops met my needs. Didn't see any. Good chance I'll end up going back there to order some more AW's when all is said and done. I just want to see what is available. I'm an old fart, ya know and sometimes new stuff slips right by me when my head is turned. I'm just trying to keep that to a minimum.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I wouldn't trust FT for that, but that's just me.
Amen to that!! I can say that in the 6yrs I vaped, I never spent a penny with FT... It wasn't until recently they started carrying somewhat reputable items and some of those are questionable, but as long as they are willing to sell at little to no profit, people will keep buying from them....except me....

Joules_Verne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
SW France
Those are re-wrapped with a button soldered to the flattop. They are TOO LONG to be safe in our REOS. They mash the spring down too much. (I know this because I got some and ended up pulling the wrapping and button top off and re-wrapping them myself. Ugh!!)
Thanks for the heads-up Jan, will give those a definite miss then :blink: :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Amen to that!! I can say that in the 6yrs I vaped, I never spent a penny with FT... It wasn't until recently they started carrying somewhat reputable items and some of those are questionable, but as long as they are willing to sell at little to no profit, people will keep buying from them....except me....

...and me. I've never bought a thing from FT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread